What is the Purpose of Life ?

Airbrush

Lol one of my three rules of life.

Tomorrow I will be a better man than I am today (always strive for self improvement )

Treat others as I wish to to treated

If I'm not having fun pretend. ( learn to enjoy every moment no matter how daunting)

8 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I just try to be a better person today than I was yesterday. That's the key to my success...

...setting the bar low

On 8/7/2019 at 6:39 AM, zapatos said:

"Purpose" implies a reason for being.

There are a lot of reasons why you are and what you are. You might not have any more reasons to be (which would be very sad) but I am sure it was not true in your twenties and you had a lot of recognized reasons for your existence. I.e the studies and works you made, how you planned and developed your life...

1 hour ago, FreeWill said:

There are a lot of reasons why you are and what you are.

There's a lot of reasons why you are you, but there's no reason to be you. 

1 hour ago, FreeWill said:

but I am sure it was not true in your twenties and you had a lot of recognized reasons for your existence. I.e the studies and works you made, how you planned and developed your life...

All of that is goal driven, which is generally set by others; work towards this, in order to achieve this and be this; meanwhile you forget to enjoy this. 

1 hour ago, Wulphstein said:

The purpose of life is to exploit nuances in the laws of physics

:lol: Good joke...

15 hours ago, Airbrush said:

Improvement, in itself, is enough success and happiness.

What is success (and happiness)?

What if I'm happier than yesterday, but worse? e.g. I was starving yesterday and stole a meat pie.

(!!!Cliche warning!!!)

At the end of the day, if you can look yourself in the mirror you've succeeded in life and if your content with what you see, you're allowed to be happy...  

3 hours ago, FreeWill said:

There are a lot of reasons why you are and what you are. You might not have any more reasons to be (which would be very sad) but I am sure it was not true in your twenties and you had a lot of recognized reasons for your existence. I.e the studies and works you made, how you planned and developed your life...

The question was not "what is the purpose of zapatos", the question was "what is the purpose of life".

The question is what is the purpose of life in general, not what the human purpose for life is.  I don't know, but it looks to me  like life endeavors to survive by respiration, eating and drinking, and avoiding being eaten or injured, and staying at a comfortable temperature, and eventually procreate to leave genetic replicas.  If life can adapt to more environments it can be more successful at leaving progeny.

Edited by Airbrush

I have a correction to make.  I suggested that evolution is an example of life changing, through mutation, in effect to adapt better to a changing environment.  "Getting better" as evolution is only half the story of life.  Life endeavors to survive and reproduce.  Sharks and cockroaches have not evolved much but they survived over 100 million years almost unchanged.  Life does not always need to evolve to survive.  Right?

Edited by Airbrush

Crazy what some potato, veggies and meet can add up to and here we are.

The overall reason is to Be(better).

Selective pressure influencing this urge to be better.

Knowledge and experience influence faster and better adaption to physical changes. 

The final Purpose is: to make Sense, what is Reality.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, Airbrush said:

The question is what is the purpose of life in general, not what the human purpose for life is.  I don't know, but it looks to me  like life endeavors to survive by respiration, eating and drinking, and avoiding being eaten or injured, and staying at a comfortable temperature, and eventually procreate to leave genetic replicas.  If life can adapt to more environments it can be more successful at leaving progeny.

Evolution is a blind watchmaker. Nothing drives it. It is change in frequency of alleles over time. Evolution can go backwards; it's still evolution. Adaptation is caused by mutation, which is random. There is no purpose. 

Time to pull out the whisky. :D

Edited by StringJunky

10 hours ago, FreeWill said:

Time drives evolution 

Bananas execute purple.

See? I can post meaningless word salad, too.

Evolution as a process requires progress through time, otherwise lifeforms would remain static (no time = no change), but this is an otherwise completely useless statement that provides no insight or explanatory power.

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Thanks. I was having a hard time coming up with a response

No wonder as my response was on 

22 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Evolution is a blind watchmaker. Nothing drives it.

The difference is that my note makes sense .

Without time there is no Evolution(iNow recognize that too), so time has impact on Evolution I.e drives it.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Selection drives evolution, not time.

Selection happens by Time.

There is No selection if time does not pass.

Than time is a prerequisite of Selection as well.

For me your logic is flawed, when you try to neglect time, in a case of a time dependent biophysical process. 

Edited by FreeWill

8 hours ago, zapatos said:

There is NO evolution if length does not exit.

Therefore length drives evolution.

True. Very good insight.

Length is part of Space.

I thought it would be enough to mention Time, because since a while, for a reason, we use space and time as one physical entity: spacetime. 

But sure you right.

Edited by FreeWill

On 8/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, dimreepr said:
On 8/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, dimreepr said:

There's a lot of reasons why you are you, but there's no reason to be you. 

Who else I could be? My experience and appearance is universally unique. 

I just can be myself and I think there is a reason to be Me.

I am aware of my biophysical values so I call myself conscious.

Energy with consciousness.

There is an energetic change during death, and we know from the laws of thermodynamics that energy can not disappear from the system. 

The Energy who I am,  will exist further in some form as part of Nature, even my material appearance will be long decayed. 

Of this I am sure of.

I always, wanna be a positive impact on reality. 

I think my life is a possibility to understand nature (space,time,energy,matter and information) and experience, test and sense its appearance. 

Who else could I be if not the conscious Me?

I am the result of a 13.8 billion years long biophysical process.

Time and Space is a reason for me to be.

This reason alone is enough for me, to wanna be.

Edited by FreeWill