Inside the singularity

Amazing Random

This topic is about the gravitational effects of the singularity. Get ready for shocking news !

"I dont understand why we the theory of quantum gravity would apply at a singularity of a black hole . Quantum gravity would describe the gravitational interactions between subatomic particles . On the other hand the mass of the black is too big for any quantum effects . But on the other hand we have a singularity which is dimensionless so it can be considered a quantum system . I think all the confusion begins from there : if we need to study the singularity as a quantum system or without quantum effects . "

What does this mean? 

1f914.png

Spoiler

This means that we have an empty quantum system since there are no quantum effects . So we apply General Relativity as usual and we dont need any quantum thing involved! 

Tricky huh? :) 

Edited by Amazing Random

1 hour ago, Amazing Random said:

This means that we have an empty quantum system since there are no quantum effects . So we apply General Relativity as usual and we dont need any quantum thing involved! 

The problem with that is applying just GR to a black hole leads to singularities and infinities. Which means that the theory is no longer working - it is not producing realistic results. The assumption is that a quantum theory of gravity would explain what happens in the extreme conditions inside a black hole, near the event horizon and in the early universe. 

Just saying "we don't need one" doesn't address any of the problems.

14 minutes ago, Strange said:

The problem with that is applying just GR to a black hole leads to singularities and infinities. Which means that the theory is no longer working - it is not producing realistic results. The assumption is that a quantum theory of gravity would explain what happens in the extreme conditions inside a black hole, near the event horizon and in the early universe. 

We dont need quantum things . The deBroglie wavelength of the singularity is very small so I said no quantum effects take place . It is an empty quantum system . We can calculate by approximation.

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

And math can stop working but physics doesnt stop working.

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

No quantum effects take place . 

25 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

We dont need quantum things . The deBroglie wavelength of the singularity is very small so I said no quantum effects take place . It is an empty quantum system . We can calculate by approximation.

The "approximation" without quantum effects doesn't work: it leads to singularities.

25 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

And math can stop working but physics doesnt stop working.

But we want out math to usefully describe that physics.

26 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

No quantum effects take place . 

Making assertions with no evidence is not helpful.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

The "approximation" without quantum effects doesn't work: it leads to singularities.

But we want out math to usefully describe that physics.

Making assertions with no evidence is not helpful.

We may not be able to calculate everything . Ask de Broglie why quantum effects dont take place at the singularity or look at my explanation :)

So you just want to give up because it looks complex?

No it is not complex we  may just cant calculate everything precisely....

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

We shouldnt modify physics when we meet infinities . Maybe infinities are part of the universe.

6 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

No it is not complex we  may just cant calculate everything precisely....

We shouldnt modify physics when we meet infinities . Maybe infinities are part of the universe.

Math is the language of physics it is not physics itself

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

And we also dont need to believe the world is perfect. Nothing is perfect in nature . Maybe this works for the whole universe.

11 minutes ago, Strange said:

And i dont want to give up but based on the physics we have discovered there isnt anything else to search for besides this.

49 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Really? How small is it?

Just now, Amazing Random said:

λ = h/mu

And what is mu? (Usually we use p). I mean, the value. It’s pretty big, right? But not infinite, so the wavelength is bigger than the singularity GR predicts. We ignore quantum effects when the wavelength is a lot smaller than the scale of interest.

IOW, we’re on a scale where QM applies.

3 minutes ago, swansont said:

And what is mu? (Usually we use p). I mean, the value. It’s pretty big, right? But not infinite, so the wavelength is bigger than the singularity GR predicts. We ignore quantum effects when the wavelength is a lot smaller than the scale of interest.

IOW, we’re on a scale where QM applies.

??? The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects.

Just now, Strange said:

What is the wavelength. The appropriate answer would be a number

I dont know the mass of the core of a dying star....

How could I know?

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

But its pretty big . So big we ignore quantum effects....

Just now, Amazing Random said:

So what are you basing "The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects" on?

You can look up the mass of various types of black hole if that is relevant. You can read up on supernovas and what the necessary mass is to produce a black hole. In other words, you could do some research to back up your claims, instead of just making assertions.

So what are you basing "The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects" on?

You can look up the mass of various types of black hole if that is relevant. You can read up on supernovas and what the necessary mass is to produce a black hole. In other words, you could do some research to back up your claims, instead of just making assertions.

We ignore quantum effects even at the mass of a football ball . And a black hole is much heavier than a football ball.

5 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

How could I know?

But its pretty big . So big we ignore quantum effects....

If you don't know, why did you say: "The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects"? And why are you now saying the opposite?

Could it be that you don't know what you are talking about and are just posting the first thing that pops into your head?

9 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

??? The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects.

As I just explained, that’s not valid. You’re on the wrong side of the inequality.

The singularity has size zero. You can ignore QM for something smaller. Obviously, there’s a problem here

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

If you don't know, why did you say: "The wavelength is so small we ignore quantum effects"? And why are you now saying the opposite?

Could it be that you don't know what you are talking about and are just posting the first thing that pops into your head?

Big is the mass of the core of the dying star

1 minute ago, swansont said:

As I just explained, that’s not valid. You’re on the wrong side of the inequality.

The wavelength of an object predicts if we have to take into account quantum effects.

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

What are you talking about?

Better go ask de Broglie or one of his grand -grand children to tell you :P

5 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

The wavelength of an object predicts if we have to take into account quantum effects.

What are you talking about?

Better go ask de Broglie or one of his grand -grand children to tell you :P

Which is bigger: the wavelength or the singularity?

Just now, swansont said:

When the wavelength is bigger, QM applies.

The quantum system is infinitely small

There is no propability.

There is not enough space-time for propabilities  to be created.

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

Sorry there are no quantum effects at all . 

16 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

The quantum system is infinitely small

There is no propability.

There is not enough space-time for propabilities  to be created.

Sorry there are no quantum effects at all . 

Fine. Provide evidence and your model to support your assertion.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Fine. Provide evidence and your model to support your assertion.

The wavelength of the core of the dying star doesnt fit to the singularity so we know the position of the mass.

19 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

The wavelength of the core of the dying star doesnt fit to the singularity so we know the position of the mass.

Since there is only one point where the mass could be there is no uncertainty though no quantum effects.

Edited by Amazing Random

3 hours ago, Amazing Random said:

We dont need quantum things . The deBroglie wavelength of the singularity is very small

If there is a DeBroglie wavelength it would not be in a singularity condition.