Hijack from Pascal's Wager - Does this make sense?

Wulphstein

1 minute ago, Wulphstein said:

If you are going to talk about Christian moral values, no need to CITE A SOURCE.  Don't they teach you that on the science forum?  Here is the list of moral values from the Holy Bible.

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Morality,-And-Redemption

I assumed the source could be taken as read but...

Leviticus 25:44-46 New International Version (NIV)

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

and
"

Leviticus 20:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

King James Version (KJV)"

(If you don't like Leviticus, Romans has a similar view)

Just now, Wulphstein said:

But Xenu, Thor, Allah and Zeus are not showing up in people's near death experiences! 

you forgot to append "any more".
If, however you stop being so laughably insular and look at other  countries and cultures, you find that their prophets and gods turn up in their dreams.

2 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

I thought you people were scientific and intelligence, had good pattern recognition and common sense!

I think the relevant quote is something about the mote in your eye

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Again, you are leaving out all the really nansy horrible stuff and by the way how can Atheism, a lack of belief, be a belief? 

Moontanman, you are a native American.  At least I get that vibe from you and your picture suggest it.  Native Americans have every right to be pissed off that their land was taken by the white man.  You were lied to by people who called themselves Christians, and other white people who were atheists.   But the original teachings that came from God still came from God.  Whether or not you believe the land was put to better use, or would have been a better as a native American nation, is your opinion.

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

All sides are guilty of that, the content depends on the bias.

All sides are guilty, how can ignoring the parts you do not like and asserting the parts you do like not be a bias? While pointing this out be a bias as well? 

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Did you ask everyone? I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, I think you know which one I mean.

Or are you just a troll?

I smell troll dude... 

3 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Leviticus 20:13 King James Version (KJV)

13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Well anybody who screws mankind is an abomination?  Do you think humanity should get screwed!

6 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Leviticus 25:44-46 New International Version (NIV)

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

and

And yet somehow, we got our bravery from GOD to actually DO the hard part of ending slavery.  We had to kill the armies of the slave owners of the south.  We had to kill and bleed and die so that our descendants could have freedom! 

You were lied to by people who called themselves Christians,

And they called themselves that because they were following what their scripture told them to do.

They were going forth, and being fruitful, and they were enslaving the "foreigners", just as their book told them to.

Obviously, if man is made in God's image and the inhabitants of the new world were the wrong colour, then they weren't properly part of mankind- so they didn't warrant treating as humans.

That's how the Bible said to behave, and that's what the Christians did.

People have used the Bible to "justify" all sorts of wrongdoings. Sometimes it's because they deliberately misread it

4 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

Well anybody who screws mankind is an abomination

And sometimes it's because the book really is immoral  

9 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

our male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves

And yet somehow, we got our bravery from GOD to actually DO the hard part of ending slavery. 

We got our bravery to end slavery from the same god who told us to take slaves in the first place.

1 hour ago, Wulphstein said:

In order to believe in atheist  theist, you have to believe in a lie, a logical inconsistency, a fraud, a conspiracy to not see the obvious?  It doesn't bother me that you lie to me, but you lie to yourself?  And you don't care that the logical inconsistency corrupts your mind.  If you cared, you would experience cognitive dissonance.

Fixed that for you.

3 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

our male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves

So you condemn it verbally.  But you won't put your life on the line to defend freedom.  You won't actually fight for it.  You'll just say a few words and hope the tyrants have hurt feelings. 

Just now, Wulphstein said:

So you condemn it verbally.  But you won't put your life on the line to defend freedom.  You won't actually fight for it.  You'll just say a few words and hope the tyrants have hurt feelings. 

Thoughts and prayers.

Moontanman, you are a native American.  At least I get that vibe from you and your picture suggest it.  Native Americans have every right to be pissed off that their land was taken by the white man.  You were lied to by people who called themselves Christians, and other white people who were atheists.   But the original teachings that came from God still came from God.  Whether or not you believe the land was put to better use, or would have been a better as a native American nation, is your opinion.

This has nothing to do with my heredity but if you want to go down that rabbit hole let's start by your insinuation of the no true scotsman fallacy and go on to how do you know the people involved were atheists. Christians labeled us as soulless animals to be eradicated often buy putting a bounty on killing us or just distributing small pox infected blankets. All approved by christians, the good christians just destroyed our language, culture, took our children away and forbid them from speak their native tongue and believing in their ancestral gods. usdi watali 

1 hour ago, Wulphstein said:

That implies a creator, engineer, designer that is a lot smarter than we are?  How is that not deserving of the title "god"? 

There are so many examples of bad design, it makes your "designer god" a pretty bad engineer.

5 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Fixed that for you.

Nope.  Complex systems don't just pop into existence as an explosion and lead to complex bio machinery that leads to life.  Nope, atheism is less believable than scientology.

5 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

It said, don't screw mankind like you'd screw your wife.  Makes sense to me.

Except that isn't what it says:

Leviticus 20:13 New International Version (NIV)

13 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20%3A13&version=NIV

(This highlights one of the problems with relying on ancient texts as a source: there have been so many errors in transcription, editing and translation it can be hard to know what was meant.)

3 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

Nope.  Complex systems don't just pop into existence as an explosion and lead to complex bio machinery that leads to life.  Nope, atheism is less believable than scientology.

Actually they do, please get some basic education before trying to run with the big dogs...

You're too serious.  You need to laugh more.  What is the point of being morbidly depressed?

So now you are psychoanalyzing me? Must have cut you to the quick... 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

This highlights one of the problems with relying on ancient texts as a source: there have been so many errors in transcription, editing and translation it can be hard to know what was meant.)

I liked the old interpretation better.  Don't screw humanity over like you'd screw your girlfriend.  It seems like that's what atheists are doing with their anti-social, hate humanity, attitude.   God's interpretation of the Bible is more inclined to heal the soul; while atheists lie to people and tell them they don't have souls. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.