Origin of electronegativity

Amazing Random

We all know what electronegativity is: it is the ability of a chemical element to attract the bonding pair of electrons when it forms a bond with another chemical element.

Electronegativity was introduced in 1936 by the German chemist Wolfgang Pauli . He gave the above definition of electronegativity . But where does it come from? Well I think i have the answer

->Radius of the element : The bigger radius of the chemical element , the less electronegativity it has because the attraction from the core of the bonding pair of electrons is reduced by distance and the atomic radius gives a good value for the distance between the core and the valence electrons of every atom.

->Atomic shielding / Effective nuclear charge: Electrons from the inner shells "shield" the bonding pair of electrons from attraction so an element with small effective charge will have relatively slow electronegativity

->Octet rule/Need to have noble gas configuration : All elements want to have a noble gas configuration , that means they want their valence shell to be complete . If a chemical element creates a noble gas configuration by adding 1 electron ,it will have big electronegativity

Ok thank you for reading my topic . Comments and corrections appreciable! I will be happy to answer any questions you might have or discuss with you any ideas for improvement / development. 

1 hour ago, Amazing Random said:

We all know what electronegativity is: it is the ability of a chemical element to attract the bonding pair of electrons when it forms a bond with another chemical element.

Electronegativity was introduced in 1936 by the German chemist Wolfgang Pauling . He gave the above definition of electronegativity . But where does it come from? Well I think i have the answer

->Radius of the element : The bigger radius of the chemical element , the less electronegativity it has because the attraction from the core of the bonding pair of electrons is reduced by distance and the atomic radius gives a good value for the distance between the core and the valence electrons of every atom.

->Atomic shielding / Effective nuclear charge: Electrons from the inner shells "shield" the bonding pair of electrons from attraction so an element with small effective charge will have relatively slow electronegativity

->Octet rule/Need to have noble gas configuration : All elements want to have a noble gas configuration , that means they want their valence shell to be complete . If a chemical element creates a noble gas configuration by adding 1 electron ,it will have big electronegativity

Ok thank you for reading my topic . Comments and corrections appreciable! I will be happy to answer any questions you might have or discuss with you any ideas for improvement / development. 

Wolfgang Pauling mistake corrected

1 hour ago, Amazing Random said:

Electronegativity was introduced in 1936 by the German chemist Wolfgang Pauli . He gave the above definition of electronegativity . But where does it come from? Well I think i have the answer

34 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Wolfgang Pauling mistake corrected

Did you mean Linus Pauling?
It hardly matters because, in fact the term "electronegativity" was introduced byJöns Jacob Berzelius  in 1811

Also, did you think there was anything new in what you said?

1 minute ago, John Cuthber said:

Did you mean Linus Pauling?
It hardly matters because, in fact the term "electronegativity" was introduced byJöns Jacob Berzelius  in 1811

Also, did you think there was anything new in what you said?

Wow i didn't know that , thanks for the info?

Do those criteria for electronegativity exist?Where?Give me a reference please.