Need to find a scale that will measure 1.5 milligrams of powder

nsalazar16

Hello, 

I’m new to the forum and I’m hoping to find an answer to this. After searching extensively online for a scale that will measure fractions of a  milligram I am only finding scales that will weigh 1 milligram. I need to take a 2mg capsule and measure out either 1.5mg or a little more of the powder inside (1.75mg?). I need something super sensitive. I found ONE scale that will weigh micrograms but it is far outside of my budget (almost $1000).

If anyone knows of a good sensitive scale for measuring powder that can measure parts of a mg I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thank You!

Edited by Phi for All
Removed the word "medication" to avoid closure

On the whole, the best option is to get someone to supply you with the material you actually need in the right dose.

There's a different approach which you might find helpful.

Mix the 2mg of material with, say, 98 mg of something inert- lactose is often used.

Then weigh out 75 mg of the mixture.

That will get you 3/4 of the original material.

It is likely that whoever filled the capsule with 2 mg of material already used this approach; as you have discovered, it is difficult to weigh 2 mg precisely.

7 hours ago, nsalazar16 said:

I need to take a 2mg capsule and measure out either 1.5mg

2x3=6
6/4=1.5

Idea: If doses can be stored, mix contents of three capsules and split the content in four parts; gives you four doses. 

If it is a capsule, usually it is not recommended to break that and divide its content. 

You should speak with your doctor first about it and re-check the dosage.

Do not use others prescribed medicine!

I really hope you do not wanna use it to scale potent narcotics....

7 hours ago, Strange said:

The other approach would be to spread the powder out evenly in a line and measure 3/4 of it.

If the preparation is a mix in the capsule it might not be evenly distributed.

On reflection, I'm not sure this is a good idea discussing modifying medical preparations.

Edited by StringJunky

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

On reflection, I'm not sure this is a good idea discussing modifying medical preparations.

!

Moderator Note

This has been on the staff's mind all day too. We're going to remove the word "medication" from the title, move this to Chemistry, and caution everyone that we are NOT advising anyone on any aspect of their meds here.  

Hello All,

I apologize for causing any upset whatsoever. This was in fact recommended to me by my Dr. who I have now seen and have my questions answered ( turns out I will be working with more mgs than I originally thought). Again, my apologies for upsetting anyone. 

I would actually like to remove this post. Is it possible for me to do this on my end? If not can the staff do so instead of moving it to  chemistry? Thank You