would you like to be immortal ?

empleat

Same even with immortality, is question:

1. if you get transferred into computer

2. or die and copy of your mind gets transferred

Even even if so, what if someone kills you, or you die by accident, if you mind will be backed up and than copied to new body, it won't be you, but your copy. Even if you was lucky and lived like 10k years, eventually you will die anyways, even universe is probably going to end and it will be difficult to survive... Same there is no point, why would you do that ? So you can live another x years for what ?

And it is so boring, everything is predetermined, or random, which is not any better... So you maybe explorer new planets, or travel through time, or to another dimension and learn some new things, because we are programmed to do stuff e.g. our survival, otherwise we get bored.

Don't know how you see it, but this is so utterly boring.. Every possibility bores me to death, even ai starting to bore me already and it is rather new...

OK. So you are bored. So you decided to tell everyone how bored you are. Do you feel better now? Or are you still bored?

Is this thread too boring to say open?

I might have closed it but I am bored of closing threads.

I am bored of people saying they are bored. It is so boring.

p.s. Yes, I would like to live for ever (or a long time, anyway) because there are so many fantastically exciting things going on - I want to see what happens next!

But is boredom just a mood or is it fundamental to life(ongoing)?

Is it the counterpoint to enthusiasm -or the impulse ,so that you can't have one without the other ?(think of poor Robin Williams)

I think(from memory past) existentialism   almost lauds boredom.

As Van the Man said, "You breathe in you breathe out** you breathe in you breathe out you breath in 
You breathe out you breathe in you breathe out 
And you're high on your high-flyin' cloud...."

Doesn't he write about the extraordinary in the mundane?

**my interpretation is "breathe in" = impulse and "breathe out"= boredom  and "flying" is when you amalgamate the two. (not what he meant ,of course but any excuse to recall Astral Weeks is good:-))

Time to experience without limit. If your bored find something new to experience. Every moment is what you make of it. It would take an eternity to experience and learn everything...

Edited by Mordred

I didn't ask about boredom tho, i am interested what point could exists for people to want immortality. Specifically rather, than obvious reasons to live longer, or survival because people fear death, or traveling to new planets etc...

2 hours ago, Strange said:

OK. So you are bored. So you decided to tell everyone how bored you are. Do you feel better now? Or are you still bored?

Is this thread too boring to say open?

I might have closed it but I am bored of closing threads.

I am bored of people saying they are bored. It is so boring.

p.s. Yes, I would like to live for ever (or a long time, anyway) because there are so many fantastically exciting things going on - I want to see what happens next!

Same shit with different actors.   :)

1 hour ago, empleat said:

I didn't ask about boredom tho, i am interested what point could exists for people to want immortality. Specifically rather, than obvious reasons to live longer, or survival because people fear death, or traveling to new planets etc...

The point is to find a point (to your life). .. which may take forever. 

Edited by StringJunky

Reminds me of the TV program  Altered Carbon. They download your memory into Cortical Stacks (tech reversed engineered from aliens), You can put them into anybody (sleeves), so you get children who've been killed in accidents being downloaded into adults of a different sex, because it's paid for by the state, so you get what your given. It's pretty funny actually. You can also enter lifelike VR where you can feel and stuff.

The wealthy can end up living for hundreds of years, becoming really powerful and successful. Almost Godlike, but if they live to long they can become insane.

What's not funny though is that they can torture you to death and just keep bringing you back to life to kill again and again. F*ck that.

Most people only do once or twice as they can't bear suffering the illnesses or old age.

If immortality is like on the show, downloading memory's and still having to suffer illnesses like dementia, and remembering them when your "loaded back up", then no, imagine being able to remember all that, it would be to much to bear I think, imagine if you died in a fire?

if immortality is just not dieing then I'd probably say yes. Imagine being able to explore the galaxy (hopefully :), or the universe? But then what would you do at the end of starlight, when it's just black holes, you'd be f*cked big time.

So maybe not immortality, but a few hundred years would be nice.

Ye i saw that. Wealthy will probably be able afford it sooner and get the edge. But from concerns project 2045 they aim to be affordable like for 300 000$. Still this is not version which will have computation power like supercomputer, you will be only in robot, who get into that first will get huge advantage. If like some cabal of rich people got first into computer with supercomputer power, that would be bad. Or even if people get there, there is 20% chance humanity will go extinct at 2100, because of global warming and endangering species and destroying environment... Or if ai destroys humanity.. Maybe people survive on mars, while die in earth who knows. It is pretty tough to survive in universe, to even have life supporting habitat and than to not get wiped by anything, there are pretty scary things in universe, so matter from quarks, which could poison whole planets and turn them into same matter. Or some explosion on atomic, or subatomic level, which could destroy whole universe and physical laws as we know them, or black holes and who knows what. Humanity probably won't survive even that long, who know if we will be able to achieve ftl, or even get to posthuman stage. And i agree torture is pretty ugly, people in middle age used to be cruel and disgusting, obviously even today some, why would you wanted to risk it and die painfully, if universe is going to repeat itself forever maybe...

Edited by empleat

1 hour ago, empleat said:

Ye i saw that. Wealthy will probably be able afford it sooner and get the edge. But from concerns project 2045 they aim to be affordable like for 300 000$. Still this is not version which will have computation power like supercomputer, you will be only in robot, who get into that first will get huge advantage. If like some cabal of rich people got first into computer with supercomputer power, that would be bad. Or even if people get there, there is 20% chance humanity will go extinct at 2100, because of global warming and endangering species and destroying environment... Or if ai destroys humanity.. Maybe people survive on mars, while die in earth who knows. It is pretty tough to survive in universe, to even have life supporting habitat and than to not get wiped by anything, there are pretty scary things in universe, so matter from quarks, which could poison whole planets and turn them into same matter. Or some explosion on atomic, or subatomic level, which could destroy whole universe and physical laws as we know them, or black holes and who knows what. Humanity probably won't survive even that long, who know if we will be able to achieve ftl, or even get to posthuman stage. And i agree torture is pretty ugly, people in middle age used to be cruel and disgusting, obviously even today some, why would you wanted to risk it and die painfully, if universe is going to repeat itself forever maybe...

You're missing the point, you're immortal right now, so be bored the whole time, or do something interesting or stop being immortal.

Even if you are immortal, you will die when the universe does; which means you have a choice, you can be happy happy happy, dead or you can be worry worry worry, dead or you can be bored bored bored, dead etc... It doesn't matter to me, just you...

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

You're missing the point, you're immortal right now, so be bored the whole time, or do something interesting or stop being immortal.

Even if you are immortal, you will die when the universe does; which means you have a choice, you can be happy happy happy, dead or you can be worry worry worry, dead or you can be bored bored bored, dead etc... It doesn't matter to me, just you...

Though thou shouldest be going to live three thousand years, and as many times ten thousand years, still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. The longest and shortest are thus brought to the same. Marcus Aurelius.