scientific experiments at young age

Ghideon

I cleared out some junk and stumbled upon an early attempt at doing “science” with math and observations to get some result. I used a cheap monocular to project a partial eclipse on a paper, the goal was to measure how much of the sun that was covered. I remember getting help with the math for intersecting circles, we had not done such geometry (yet) in school. 

Do you have any early memories from attempting something scientific?

wHg-zj_QaWb7y3xaJ4Iv6NKu2PFE-ebxrSDzck2LuPFTrvGhys0Jh17eML29Chi8ZKBdtt39WklxpN_lTkRf9BBAzXy0SaRwgh3WVzLlpogQYxwuDJniMZ4RWm15FtmERfPbr3SN

A fun aspect of this little experiment is that I think one can get decent precision even with cheap equipment. In the age of internet I might try to locate data* from this event and see what the real value was. But my skills at observational data administration seems to have been inadequate at that time :-). I have found no trace of when in the 90's the observation was made.

*) I think time and date .com could be used for this.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, Ghideon said:

I cleared out some junk and stumbled upon an early attempt at doing “science” with math and observations to get some result. I used a cheap monocular to project a partial eclipse on a paper, the goal was to measure how much of the sun that was covered. I remember getting help with the math for intersecting circles, we had not done such geometry (yet) in school. 

Do you have any early memories from attempting something scientific?

wHg-zj_QaWb7y3xaJ4Iv6NKu2PFE-ebxrSDzck2LuPFTrvGhys0Jh17eML29Chi8ZKBdtt39WklxpN_lTkRf9BBAzXy0SaRwgh3WVzLlpogQYxwuDJniMZ4RWm15FtmERfPbr3SN

A fun aspect of this little experiment is that I think one can get decent precision even with cheap equipment. In the age of internet I might try to locate data* from this event and see what the real value was. But my skills at observational data administration seems to have been inadequate at that time :-). I have found no trace of when in the 90's the observation was made.

*) I think time and date .com could be used for this.

Science is a neat way to objectify us, and one day, it might...