CRISPR Trials In Humans

DrmDoc

According to this TIME article, "Two companies, Editas Medicine and Allergan, will test this [method] in up to 18 people around the United States" afflicted with a form of congenital blindness called Leber congenital amaurosis where sufferers may "see only bright lights and blurry shapes and can eventually lose all sight."  It seems promising and reminds me somewhat of a scene from one of those Star Trek movies where the Enterprise travels back in time and Dr. McCoy encounters a patient who he gives a pill that regenerates her liver...or was it her kidney?.

21 minutes ago, DrmDoc said:

According to this TIME article, "Two companies, Editas Medicine and Allergan, will test this [method] in up to 18 people around the United States" afflicted with a form of congenital blindness called Leber congenital amaurosis where sufferers may "see only bright lights and blurry shapes and can eventually lose all sight."  It seems promising and reminds me somewhat of a scene from one of those Star Trek movies where the Enterprise travels back in time and Dr. McCoy encounters a patient who he gives a pill that regenerates her liver...or was it her kidney?.

Kidney I think, we just have to be careful we don't grow a liver where a kidney should be.

Edited by dimreepr

I don't know.  Of course I see the advantages, but how far do we go?  Do we then get to the point where people can pay extra to have their babies engineered to have superb muscles or desirable features or to have super-learning abilities. How far before economic decisions affect the children we have.  Will Western people then start a savings account for college and another for genetically engineering their children? I am in two minds here.

As a parent and grandfather I can attest that one will go through any possible measure to ensure your children and grandchildren have the best you can provide in terms of their health and wellness. Quite frankly it is hard to find fault in that feeling as it is natural even among animals.

It is a natural response to always want the best for your children.

Would you deny a child of yours treatment simply due to being genetic involved ?

Edited by Mordred

At an individual level, the large majority would do it. The problem is it further divides the wealthiest from the poorest and exacerbates inequality since the rich will have far more access to far better tech and precision than those less well off. 

The future is already here, it’s just not evenly distributed. 

True  enough, I for one have no issue with genetic cures for illness or ailments however I wouldn't invest in modification simply to make my children superior. We all have boundaries we won't cross.

Edited by Mordred

I dunno. Night vision, superior muscle recovery time and endurance, UV protection, decreased need for hydration, extreme intelligence... this slope gets slippery in a hurry, and the options are almost inexhaustible, but the toothpaste is already out of the tube and can’t be put back in. 

Edited by iNow

5 hours ago, iNow said:

I dunno. Night vision, superior muscle recovery time and endurance, UV protection, decreased need for hydration, extreme intelligence... this slope gets slippery in a hurry, and the options are almost inexhaustible, but the toothpaste is already out of the tube and can’t be put back in. 

One word- Military. 

16 hours ago, iNow said:

The good news (for now) is that these things are very difficult to achieve (if at all feasible) as we still do not understand the link between genetics and the respective trait sufficiently. Of course that could change in the future, but major breakthroughs have not happened yet. Also there are still major issues in terms of unspecific mutations with the CRISPR/CAS system.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, Moontanman said:

I will be impressed when CRISPR can turn me into a centaur.

25ced7e0c30114af0e167bd4fb4d4765.jpg

You might wanna rethink that, imagine galloping through the woods with a naked torso at thorn height, not to mention a human sized mouth trying to eat enough to feed a horse, when that feed is grass.

9 hours ago, dimreepr said:

You might wanna rethink that, imagine galloping through the woods with a naked torso at thorn height, not to mention a human sized mouth trying to eat enough to feed a horse, when that feed is grass.

Not to mention having two different sets of rib-cages

On 7/30/2019 at 5:19 PM, iNow said:

In the book that image is based on the centaurs ate the same food as us, it was never clear but the upper rib cage seemed to be the lungs and the lower one the other organs. But it was just fiction no doubt a very good book, equal to lord of the rings in my estimation.. 

23 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I keep thinking about the spine(s?). Needs a bunch of work to avoid major backaches for Moontanman.

Um...Bioengineering should account for that!  In the book I was referring to the Titanides didn't have a spine made of vertebrae, it was made of cartilage, they were designed by their god to be able to visit earth...   

On 7/30/2019 at 5:19 PM, iNow said:

Oops double quote... 

2 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Um...Bioengineering should account for that! 

I've read that an actual spinal column (not the horizontal bridge we try to stand on its end) would be best for bipedalism, and I can imagine it would be better for the upper body of a centaur. 

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I've read that an actual spinal column (not the horizontal bridge we try to stand on its end) would be best for bipedalism, and I can imagine it would be better for the upper body of a centaur. 

The book (fiction) solves the problem by using cartilage like a shark. Contrary to popular belief cartilage can be quite strong, ever carve up a shark? 

21 hours ago, Moontanman said:

The book (fiction) solves the problem by using cartilage like a shark.

While skipping over various other problems; if I could merge my strengths with my weakness'. I think I'd choose a cockroach and a rat

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

While skipping over various other problems; if I could merge my strengths with my weakness'. I think I'd choose a cockroach and a rat

Nuclear holocaust??? No worries:D 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.