Does warped spacetime unbend when a mass is removed?

PrimalMinister

26 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

If we remove this mass does the spacetime straighten out again? 

Yes. (Although, as mass can't "disappear", the curvature just follows the mass wherever it goes.)

26 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

If so what causes this.

Spacetime curvature is [caused by] the presence of mass-energy. Remove one and the other goes as well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

"Enough" is any amount. 

Nope it isnt.

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

"Enough" is any amount. 

There is a limit of energy required for an object to bend space-time . Just like there is a limit in pressure a material can take withouth breaking - the same thing.

1 minute ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

The presence of mass/energy IS spacetime curvature. Two pieces of dust in space, outside any other influence, will each curve spacetime enough to meet. 

How little mass do you think you need before spacetime doesn't curve? Perhaps the ISS can test this for you.

14 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

There is a limit of energy required for an object to bend space-time . Just like there is a limit in pressure a material can take withouth breaking - the same thing.

Yes it is. Even light due to its momentum, warps spacetime ever so slightly.

17 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

Stop hijacking threads with your crackpot ideas

16 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

!

Moderator Note

Responses are supposed to be from mainstream physics, not your pet theory. The latter may only be discussed in your own thread in speculations,

24 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

The presence of mass/energy IS spacetime curvature.

I ask again - where is your argument that says this is the case? I have one, although to say it is hand waving would be to flatter it!

4 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I ask again - where is your argument that says this is the case? I have one, although to say it is hand waving would be to flatter it!

One of the definitions of mass is how much space-time curvature it causes (ie. gravitational mass; there others, such as inertial mass, but they all seem to be identical). And energy is equivalent to mass.

6 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

Because that's what the evidence supports in GR. gravity is simply geometry of spacetime.