Asteroid

3 minutes ago, Leewright10 said:

How big of an object and at what speed is required to majorly f*** the world up?

About 6 feet and in the shape of a human, often within the course of one term in office or less. 

Kidding aside, depends where and what it hits

4 hours ago, iNow said:

About 6 feet and in the shape of a human, often within the course of one term in office or less. 

Kidding aside, depends where and what it hits

That’s what I was thinking. Because would like age of ultron where they just lift a lid of land mass up and drop it actually work, or would can I just fire the Empire State Building at the earth and it cracks in half

Well consider the asteriod that wiped out the dinosaurs was roughly 11 to 15 km...

There is no true size as the factors will depend on size, composition and velocity. Then it also depends on what one considers a global disaster. Ie nuclear winter could certainly count.

However in this case it is possible to have surviving species. Rough estimates I have seen for an asteriod to totally wipe out all life are usually around 90 miles in diameter.

Age of Ultron is kind of hokey certainly it would create a substantial crater possibly a nuclear winter but quite frankly those jets would have added considerable velocity to have a global event at the elevation. Particularly considering the city never left the atmosphere. Where the majority of the velocity is gained in an asteroid.

Edited by Mordred