Brain regeneration

Hans de Vries

In many psuchiatric/neurodevelopmental disorders extensive loss of grey matter and damage to white matter tracts is clearly present. In schizophrenia thinning of grey matter all across the brain is extensive, it can reach as much as 25% in some regions.

What would be some potential strategies to restore lost grey matter? There is almost no neurogenesis in adult human brain outside a small part of hippocampus.

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would add a reply which might offer a partial answer (see link below). The paper was done by a researcher I knew at the NIH. I don’t know what more has been done in this area but I thought it was pretty interesting. I remember at the time, both the NIH and her institute issued press releases and she was getting all kinds of calls for interviews. It was significant news at the time but that was over 15 years ago.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8564546_Transplanted_bone_marrow_generates_New_neurons_in_human_brains