Mother Teresa (split from What made you stop believing in God?)

nevim

15 minutes ago, nevim said:

I certainly wouldn’t want to be worshipping any god she worshipped!

Why? Most of mother Teresa critics are looking at it from the outside, from a non religious viewpoint. I imagine she brought comfort to those in her care who were religious though. 

The fact that the people in her care still believed in god and chose to be there ( I think ?) despite science being able to offer better alternatives, is interesting to me. One of the main reasons religion will never go away is because it offers hope, something better, justice for people who have nothing. 

I find people normally stop believing in god is because they stop believing in the above rather than better scientific knowledge.

“Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988

Edited by nevim

13 minutes ago, nevim said:

“Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988

This was known for along time, yet people still went. Her reasoning was that it was gods love and stuff like that that people needed. Now I disagree with her methods completely, but I thinks it shows the power of religion and why all the scientific education in the world is never going to make it go away.

11 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

This was known for along time, yet people still went. Her reasoning was that it was gods love and stuff like that that people needed. Now I disagree with her methods completely, but I thinks it shows the power of religion and why all the scientific education in the world is never going to make it go away.

No her reasoning was that suffering was a beautiful gift to god... No reason for science to make religion go away but it should stop intelligent people from thinking that belief in god helps them in anyway in the real world.. 

I'd be happy to tell exactly in what my true story is on the subject. I would give my back ground and all the details leading up to my not believing in god 4 years ago when I was 51 years old. But what would it matter to someone who still believes? Imo, people can't make you believe or not believe, it is a personal realization that leads to ones decision.

2 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

If there is a loving and Omni-capable God then this world wouldn't be so messed-up and cruel to so many people.

Also look at how there's never any scientific evidence for any God. To believe something without evidence is just silly in my opinion.

And no matter what people say humans are not magical beings which are somehow detached from this world, our biological brains follow the same programmed routines as always.

So agree, one can see things are going terribly wrong here on Earth for the bible's depection of such a loving and just god to have created it and run by him. And imo, it will remain as so until the majority of individuals on earth come to the realization there is no god and now it's up to us humans to have real discussions on how to greatly improve things instead of praying out to a god that cant do anything because he cant hear anything because he dont exist.

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Quote:

Elgy Gillespie points out that at a hospice supposedly to care for AIDS patients which Teresa ran in San Francisco, terminally ill patients with chronic pain were denied morphine. Desperate patients would try to escape the hospice and seek refuge elsewhere. Susan Shields, who worked for Teresa for nearly a decade, also testifies to the appalling treatment of the defenceless at Teresa’s facilities. Shields was disturbed that the “poor were the ones who suffered” as a result of Teresa’s “self-righteous adherence to poverty.”

There was no dearth of money in the order though. Teresa received hundreds of millions of dollars in donation. Her unsuspecting donors thought she was using it to alleviate pain and suffering among the poor. However, Teresa saw it differently. She considered the flood of donations to be a sign of god’s approval of her efforts and of her congregation. So, the money was never used for the advertised purpose of helping the poor. It simply accumulated in the bank accounts of the Catholic Church.

http://indiafacts.org/mother-teresa-eichmann-calcutta/

But, as that’s all dragging this off topic - I’ll just add; I was a believer, until I learned about Mother Teresa :o

6 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

Nah not you, me, just pointing out that the evidence against my argument was a bit overwhelming, can't argue against that can I? But this is getting off topic now. 

Ah ok, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, Moontanman said:

No her reasoning was that suffering was a beautiful gift to god...

Not accurate in its entirety. Evidently, she thought that using a private jet is a gift to god too:

"Criticism does focus on Teresa's character statement produced in the Charles Keating case, where Keating was charged with fraud following high-profile business failures. Keating had donated millions of dollars to Mother Teresa and had lent her his private jet when she visited the United States"

Edited by koti