Psychiatry Does Not Exist or Should Not Exist

21 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

The only reason I wrote this is due to the recent study that these medications cause dementia. I do not see a psychiatrist. Psychiatry is harmful.

I thought it was because...

On 7/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, BillNye123 said:

...psychiatrist simply says you're nuts, gives you medication, and ruins your relationship with family and friends - forever labelled as insane.

7 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I thought it was because...

What sparked my wish to write about this topic was the recent study that psychiatric medication causes dementia. You seem to be not only questioning and attacking what I write (even though I wish to help the "mentally ill"), but questioning and attacking my motive for starting this thread. Something you were not privy to at the time of writing. It is as though you question and attack for the sake of questioning and attacking. Some people in this thread wrote very sensible answers.

Edited by BillNye123

20 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

What sparked my wish to write about this topic was the recent study that psychiatric medication causes dementia. You seem to be not only questioning and attacking what I write (even though I wish to help the "mentally ill"), but questioning and attacking my motive for starting this thread. Something you were not privy to at the time of writing. It is as though you question and attack for the sake of questioning and attacking. Some people in this thread wrote very sensible answers.

You've been attacking psychiatrists and Psychiatry since the OP. I questioned your motive but did not attack it. I also questioned the logic and rationality in your posts.

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

You've been attacking psychiatrists and Psychiatry since the OP. I questioned your motive but did not attack it. I also questioned the logic and rationality in your posts.

I make the same objections that psychiatrists Thomas Szasz, R.D. Laing and others have made. My criticisms are highly rational, they are irrational from the perspective of a psychiatrist or big pharma

On 7/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, Sensei said:

In one case it could be long term lack of chemicals required for normal brain work (improper diet missing essential compounds). In other case it could be attack of known or unknown parasites, fungi, microbes, which interfere with nervous system. In yet another case it could be genetic mutation. etc. etc.

Very important, but not mentioned by me in the previous post, is pollution of air, water and soil, by neurotoxins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotoxin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotoxicity

The examples are heavy metals compounds such as Lead and Mercury.

"Additionally, neurotoxicity has been found to be a major cause of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease (AD). "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

5 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

My criticisms are highly rational

"Psychiatry does not exist"

"Schizophrenia does not exist"

"a psychiatrist simply says you're nuts, gives you medication, and ruins your relationship with family and friends - forever labelled as insane."

9 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

There's a lot of people who don't like what I wrote, but I stand by it. I think therapy, as opposed to medication and the label, is a better approach. It's compassionate and understanding of the needs of people. The goal is to fix someone, not curtail their life.

Talking (and other behavioural therapies) are better when it works. It doesn’t always work. And who do you think prescribes and provides these other therapies? Yes, that's right: psychiatrists.

Unfortunately, sometimes only medication works. Many people are happy to put up with side effects in order to be able to live a normal life. 

9 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

Yeah, well, psychiatric illness is by definition chronic. 

Nonsense. 

Your ignorance is almost boundless.

7 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

The only reason I wrote this is due to the recent study that these medications cause dementia.

As a blanket statement, that is clearly ridiculous.

6 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

What sparked my wish to write about this topic was the recent study that psychiatric medication causes dementia.

Please provide a link to this study. (If that was the reason for the thread you should have (a) said so and (b) provide a link to the study. I am finding it increasingly difficult to take you seriously.)

I am very sceptical that "psychiatric medication" as a whole causes dementia.

I am even more sceptical that anything causes dementia.

6 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

My criticisms are highly rational, they are irrational from the perspective of a psychiatrist or big pharma

I am neither of those and I think your opinions are profoundly irrational, and apparently based on ignorance of mental illness and treatments.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:55 AM, BillNye123 said:

Doesn't mean someone is crazy. Yet a psychiatrist simply says you're nuts, gives you medication, and ruins your relationship with family and friends - forever labelled as insane.

People like you who stigmatise people with mental health problems by using words like "crazy", "nuts" and "insane" (and pretending that their problems don't exist) are a bigger problem than psychiatrists who are trying to help them.

You really need to learn something about the problems that people with mental health issues face and stop using offensive labels.

10 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

I do not see a psychiatrist.

Then your perspective is far too limited for such sweeping generalizations. You read one study and decide nobody benefits from psychiatry? That's not rational. 

From your virulence, I expected you to have had a bad experience with psychiatry. This is more like you found out how the sense of smell really works and now you think everyone should have their noses cut off.

10 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Have you any evidence for that?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/health/dementia-risk-drug-study/index.html

8 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Then your perspective is far too limited for such sweeping generalizations. You read one study and decide nobody benefits from psychiatry? That's not rational. 

From your virulence, I expected you to have had a bad experience with psychiatry. This is more like you found out how the sense of smell really works and now you think everyone should have their noses cut off.

Virulence is only apparent here due to the incredible backlash my comments have caused. Maybe I was too strong in my assertions. I know many people in my life whose lives have been ruined by psychiatry. The best way to help these people, from my perspective, is to destroy the label and stop medicating people. Society did fine without this crap for thousands of years. And I am by far not alone in this belief.

2 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

Thanks.

I knew you were wrong.

The very first sentence of that article is "Scientists have long found a possible link between anticholinergic drugs and an increased risk of dementia."

So, you are WRONG to say that psychiatric medication causes dementia. 

4 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

I know many people in my life whose lives have been ruined by psychiatry.

Are you sure their lives weren't ruined by their mental health problems. Also, anecdotes are not evidence. 

5 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

The best way to help these people, from my perspective, is to destroy the label and stop medicating people.

You have already demonstrated that your opinions are worthless. Scientific evidence shows that psychiatric treatments (whether talking therapies, cognitive behavioural therapy, or medication) can help people.

6 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

Society did fine without this crap for thousands of years.

Society did fine without the ability to treat appendicitis, cancer, and viral diseases.

So that is a pretty crap argument.

8 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

And I am by far not alone in this belief.

Lots of people believe the Earth is flat. It doesn't mean it is.

8 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/health/dementia-risk-drug-study/index.html

Virulence is only apparent here due to the incredible backlash my comments have caused. Maybe I was too strong in my assertions. I know many people in my life whose lives have been ruined by psychiatry. The best way to help these people, from my perspective, is to destroy the label and stop medicating people. Society did fine without this crap for thousands of years. And I am by far not alone in this belief.

People only get psychiatric attention because their lives are severely disrupted or of those around them. It's not an option to ignore their problems.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, Eise said:

Obviously you never met somebody who really is paranoid. Not just vague ideas of being followed, but acting according these feelings, in such a way that such a person cannot copy with daily life anymore.

It's "cope" man, what are you nuts? 

...colleague comes panicking into the office, hiding immediately under his desk, saying that those helicopters outside are chasing him.

That sounds like a Netflix series problem. Does that happen to anybody in real life like that?

That's why also very intelligent people can become psychologically ill. Intelligence does not protect against psychological illness.

Sweet, I'm never getting a mental illness then being an average moron. 

18 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

Virulence is only apparent here due to the incredible backlash my comments have caused. 

This is a science discussion site. If you're going to make extraordinary claims, you need extraordinary evidence to support them. People who discuss something here want a reasoned, rational argument to persuade them intellectually. You'd have gotten similar backlash if you'd claimed physics was wrong because your paper airplane crashed.

20 minutes ago, BillNye123 said:

Maybe I was too strong in my assertions.

Now this, THIS shows you can appreciate the perspective one gets from rational conversation, as opposed to soapboxing a strong opinion. Keep it up.

Frankly, you're trying to defend a really weak position. Psychiatry wouldn't be sustainable if it didn't help the vast majority (I usually mean 75% when I use that term) of patients at least a little. Yet you've adopted a stance where, because it hasn't worked for some, or has actually had a deleterious effect on others, the whole practice should be abolished. That sounds like the anti-vaxxer's stance.

7 minutes ago, koti said:

Average?! Koti, you're exceptional! :)

20 minutes ago, koti said:

Does that happen to anybody in real life like that?

It certainly does.

I haven't personally had to deal with anyone with problems that bad. Although I did have someone on the team who set fire to his apartment on a regular basis.

I used to work with a guy who was convinced that our manager (and "others") was spying on him and breaking into his apartment to steal secrets. He was fine and perfectly nice otherwise. The only thing that worried me slightly was that he was in charge of the radioactive isotopes.

Another guy (at the same place) had a girlfriend who no one ever met. And who turned out to be a famous singer. I suspect the "girlfriend" part was entirely in his imagination. Really nice guy. But one day he just stopped coming to work. I never did find out what happened to him.

58 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Average?! Koti, you're exceptional! :)

Phi, my internet forum buddy who I respect and admire. That's what they fed me in high school in Michigan for 3 years. I never clicked, I got too much of them Slav mentality in me to buy into this sh1t.

40 minutes ago, Strange said:

It certainly does.

I haven't personally had to deal with anyone with problems that bad. Although I did have someone on the team who set fire to his apartment on a regular basis.

I used to work with a guy who was convinced that our manager (and "others") was spying on him and breaking into his apartment to steal secrets. He was fine and perfectly nice otherwise. The only thing that worried me slightly was that he was in charge of the radioactive isotopes.

Another guy (at the same place) had a girlfriend who no one ever met. And who turned out to be a famous singer. I suspect the "girlfriend" part was entirely in his imagination. Really nice guy. But one day he just stopped coming to work. I never did find out what happened to him.

Wow, and I thought I was the one being paranoid throughout my life. The isotopes part made me spill a little of my drink :D 

11 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

I presume you didn't read (or didn't understand) the original JAMA paper.

It's not restricted to drugs used in psychiatry.
So the summary might as well say 

"Some drugs apparently cause dementia.
Some drugs are used in psychiatry

but, in general, they are not the same drugs."

11 hours ago, koti said:

..some people include depression to mental illnesses..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

One can get it after e.g. accident and family lost..

Not that I wish you it, just saying what might be origin of mental disorder. I know people who get depression and committed suicide after losing family member(s).

ps. Check above list of mental disorders. You will be surprised what is listed...

1 minute ago, Sensei said:

..some people include depression to mental illnesses..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

One can get it after e.g. accident and family lost..

Not that I wish you it, just saying what might be origin of mental disorder. I know people who get depression and committed suicide after losing family member(s).

ps. Check above list of mental disorders. You will be surprised what is listed...

Gee Sensei, thanks. Sometimes I wonder what I’d do without your invaluable insights. 

13 hours ago, koti said:

It's "cope" man, what are you nuts? 

Slip of the finger...

13 hours ago, koti said:

That sounds like a Netflix series problem. Does that happen to anybody in real life like that?

Yep. It is a real life story. I think StringJunky nailed it on the head:

14 hours ago, StringJunky said:

People only get psychiatric attention because their lives are severely disrupted or of those around them. It's not an option to ignore their problems.

14 hours ago, BillNye123 said:

And I am by far not alone in this belief.

No, e.g. scientology agrees with you. >:D

17 hours ago, koti said:

That's what they fed me in high school in Michigan for 3 years. I never clicked, I got too much of them Slav mentality in me to buy into this sh1t.

I was joking that you weren't being generous enough in assessing your moronity. I thought your Slav mentality would appreciate the outrageous disrespect.

Btw, Michigan does not exist.

4 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I was joking that you weren't being generous enough in assessing your moronity. I thought your Slav mentality would appreciate the outrageous disrespect.

Btw, Michigan does not exist.

Oh snap. Yesterday it felt a lot more edgy when I was typing it, today while hung over its a whole new thing.
Kinda makes the point though.

They cancelled Michigan?! 

16 minutes ago, koti said:

Oh snap. Yesterday it felt a lot more edgy when I was typing it, today while hung over its a whole new thing.
Kinda makes the point though.

They cancelled Michigan?! 

Like when you thought you were snogging Taylor Swift and later found out it was the dog licking the takeaway off your face that you ejected. :D

24 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Like when you thought you were snogging Taylor Swift and later found out it was the dog licking the takeaway off your face that you ejected. :D

Its so accurate its scary :P