Since epigenetic changes are instant and not random mutations

Polinski

17 minutes ago, Polinski said:

What enables them.  That is to say as with the mouse experiments how does a learned fear of cherry blossoms get from the mind of a Male mouse to its sperm and offspring?  Noting that the mutated Gene's are not random mutations....  

I don't think all of the mechanisms involved are fully understood yet. However, I doubt it gets "from the mind" to the sperm cells, more likely that the triggering event (pain, in this case) causes changes in both.

Also, note that there are no mutated genes involved (that is why it is called "epigenetics"). I doubt it is "instant" either. The mice had to learn to associate the smell and the pain over a period of time; no doubt time is also required for the epigenetic modification to occur.

This might be a good resource to learn more: https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/fundamentals/

(Hopefully, someone with more expertise will be along soon!)

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

I don't think all of the mechanisms involved are fully understood yet. However, I doubt it gets "from the mind" to the sperm cells, more likely that the triggering event (pain, in this case) causes changes in both.

Also, note that there are no mutated genes involved (that is why it is called "epigenetics"). I doubt it is "instant" either. The mice had to learn to associate the smell and the pain over a period of time; no doubt time is also required for the epigenetic modification to occur.

This might be a good resource to learn more: https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/fundamentals/

(Hopefully, someone with more expertise will be along soon!)

Pain is a trigger however the mind must be involved because a particular smell is involved that has to be remembered and transmitted to the sperm. Pain and smell have the mind in common

28 minutes ago, Polinski said:

Pain is a trigger however the mind must be involved because a particular smell is involved that has to be remembered and transmitted to the sperm. Pain and smell have the mind in common

Pain and smell can affect things other than the brain. 

14 minutes ago, Strange said:

Pain and smell can affect things other than the brain. 

But the smell must be smelled and comprehended by the brain, just as the pain must be felt and associated with the smell.  This can only happen in the brain which is the common denominator linking the two.  None of this makes any sense when compared to our current understanding of how DNA changes. 

Edited by Polinski