Why dont we imprison people who dont respect different races and cultures

anaccountnow

Inevitably, some cultures will clash, often this is polarised by things such as religion, ethics, race... The best we can do is to allow freedom of belief and speech, however we have laws and if your beliefs cause you to cross the line into unlawful acts... You will be imprisoned!

9 hours ago, anaccountnow said:

Teaching and protesting  is not effective. There are still people who dont respect different races and cultures. Why don't we imprison them? It is one of the biggest issues today and everybody talks about less important things. Sorry for my English.

You clearly shows that there are multiple directions from which we have to watch out for evil devouring us. To put it shortly - any form of extremism leads to that evil and you clearly are broadcasting an extremist stance. Who and how according to you is to decide on what form of disrespect should lead to imprisonment? I’ll give you the simplest example - I do not respect what you have posted here in this thread, should I go to jail? What about cultures? Should I be imprisoned for not respecting the neo nazzi culture? Or should the neo nazzi guy should be imprisoned for not respecting me? Whould you care to draft the guidelines according to which either me or the neo nazzi guy should go to prison for our mutual lack of respect for each other? Or maybe both of us should go to jail unless we shake hands and respect each others cultures? What do you mean by culture by the way?

20 hours ago, anaccountnow said:

They will if they don't want to be imprisoned.

My objective is to achieve justice. Racism has harmed people a lot and will if we don't do...

You can't force people to agree with you, your only options are:

You can coerce/threaten them, as is your preferred method, but then you're no better than those you despise; and they will despise you right back.

You can shame them, but that only works when they understand why their views are shameful.

(edit) You can forgive them it really 'helps', with the following.

You can persuade them, teach them why their views are wrong.

However noble your cause, without an ethical approach you'll do more harm than good.   

Edited by dimreepr

13 hours ago, Butch said:

Inevitably, some cultures will clash, often this is polarised by things such as religion, ethics, race... The best we can do is to allow freedom of belief and speech, however we have laws and if your beliefs cause you to cross the line into unlawful acts... You will be imprisoned!

Inevitable is a strong word in this context, tolerate would seem much better; if you want to avoid polarisation.

There's a concept in the US that beliefs are protected but physical actions are not. So if a "lack of respect" were simply a thought process, a belief, there is no recourse of action (nor IMO should there be). But one cannot take public action based on this. e.g. one cannot discriminate based on beliefs about gender, race, creed, etc.  

(Though this concept seems to be under attack these days)

Everyone is free to like or dislike ( and for whatever reason ) whoever they want.
The actions they can take, based on those likes/dislikes, are ( somewhat ) regulated by laws.

We don't need no stinkin' thought police !

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:58 PM, dimreepr said:

Because that's why people don't respect those that do...

you got it all wrong. The objective isn't to achieve respect but to payback. that is what I meant. It doesn't matter if they don't respect us when they are behind bars and isolated from the outside.

Edited by anaccountnow
forgot

24 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

The objective isn't to achieve respect but to payback. that is what I meant. It doesn't matter if they don't respect us when they are behind bars and isolated from the outside. 

People who are not tolerant to minorities, to people of different races, LGBT, immigrants, etc. etc. learned it from somebody i.e. parents, teachers, populistic politicians and so on. Do you want to put them in jail as well? These is simply too many of them to put them all to jail (and for how long?)

You're basically saying about making re-education camps which are part of totalitarian countries.

Payback for what? For thinking? Openly expressing their stupid and ignorant believes and revealing their true face.. ? Shutting them up, won't fix their way of thinking. Such person will still "be sick" having to visit e.g. "immigrant doctor from middle east or southern Asia country" (UK example)..

52 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

you got it all wrong. The objective isn't to achieve respect but to payback. that is what I meant. It doesn't matter if they don't respect us when they are behind bars and isolated from the outside.

Payback for what? Not thinking like you. pretty sure this would encourage home grown terrorism. Fighting the man so to speak. Might give us some good music though.

And prison systems are hugely expensive, and despite them (prisoners) being isolated from us history has shown that we're not isolated from them- The Aryan Brotherhood being a good example.

12 hours ago, anaccountnow said:

Why payback? Why not pay it forward?

payitforward.jpg

smile-poem-web-1.jpg

1 minute ago, anaccountnow said:

OMG. You just answered your own question. If someone smiles at you, you smile back. If someone harms you harm back.

An eye for an will blind the world; a smile for a smile will brighten the world. :-) ;)

6 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

And the world is infected already. Its because we haven't achieved justice.;):rolleyes:

That's my point. :doh:

On 6/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, dimreepr said:

You can't force people to agree with you, your only options are:

You can coerce/threaten them, as is your preferred method, but then you're no better than those you despise; and they will despise you right back.

You can shame them, but that only works when they understand why their views are shameful.

(edit) You can forgive them it really 'helps', with the following.

You can persuade them, teach them why their views are wrong.

However noble your cause, without an ethical approach you'll do more harm than good.   

Did you miss this post anaccountnow?

Edited by dimreepr

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Tolerance is worse. 

16 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Payback for what? Not thinking like you. pretty sure this would encourage home grown terrorism. Fighting the man so to speak. Might give us some good music though.

And prison systems are hugely expensive, and despite them (prisoners) being isolated from us history has shown that we're not isolated from them- The Aryan Brotherhood being a good example.

I say that the law should be more strict. 

it doesn't have to be prison.

16 hours ago, Sensei said:

People who are not tolerant to minorities, to people of different races, LGBT, immigrants, etc. etc. learned it from somebody i.e. parents, teachers, populistic politicians and so on. Do you want to put them in jail as well? These is simply too many of them to put them all to jail (and for how long?)

You're basically saying about making re-education camps which are part of totalitarian countries.

Payback for what? For thinking? Openly expressing their stupid and ignorant believes and revealing their true face.. ? Shutting them up, won't fix their way of thinking. Such person will still "be sick" having to visit e.g. "immigrant doctor from middle east or southern Asia country" (UK example).. 

its ok to think but you still have  to respect the law. the law has to be more strict. things like vulgar vocabulary should get a more serious punishment.

5 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Then, to be consistent, because this site is tolerant, you should leave.

If you don't mind when some ignorant guy insults you in the street then ok. But there are people who don't like this. 

Should I leave because I think the law should punish "minor things" worse? They already punish it but its not effective. 

Don't talk about consistency. Stop trying to be a smartass. Im sure you don't like brash mouths or people who break the law. If you don't mind it that's fine. There are people who mind it and they are complaining. I want a better world.

8 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

its ok to think but you still have  to respect the law. the law has to be more strict. things like vulgar vocabulary should get a more serious punishment.

If you don't mind when some ignorant guy insults you in the street then ok. But there are people who don't like this. 

Should I leave because I think the law should punish "minor things" worse? They already punish it but its not effective. 

Don't talk about consistency. Stop trying to be a smartass. Im sure you don't like brash mouths or people who break the law. If you don't mind it that's fine. There are people who mind it and they are complaining. I want a better world.

There are not so many people who aren't able to not break the law. They can have an opinion but they have to have manners.

Edited by anaccountnow
not specific

22 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

Tolerance is worse. 

15 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

Don't talk about consistency. Stop trying to be a smartass. Im sure you don't like brash mouths or people who break the law. If you don't mind it that's fine.

17 minutes ago, anaccountnow said:

I want a better world.

Then you don't understand what tolerance means.

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Then you don't understand what tolerance means.

Stop talking and start listening. Hate spreads hate. Don't tell me that. I NEVER said its not ok to hate. You can hate but you have to have manners. Understand that!