Neil deGrasse Tyson says it’s ‘very likely’ the universe is a simulation

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

It's like you're talking to other people we can't see.... 

Very frustrating when this is supposed to be a conversation. Why are you bringing up Gates and Darwin and God? Didn't you come to a science discussion forum to discuss science?

Are you claiming that we are computer simulations discussing science? because that would make science simulated.

See I have created a no win situation here because you have to say that Tyson is wrong (your idol can never be wrong) or you have to  say that he is right which means you are a simulation in a simulated Universe. 

PS if you watch the video they all allude to the need for a simulation creator...…………..

The whole premises of this thread is based on the 2016 Asimov debate, where the conclusion, of us being simulated, ended up way below 50%. In that debate Tyson was acting as a host, and only commented on the statements made. He was being funny and tried to entertain the audience. We need people like him in science, if we want the public to engage. And we do!

2 minutes ago, Polinski said:

Are you claiming that we are computer simulations discussing science? because that would make science simulated.

See I have created a no win situation here because you have to say that Tyson is wrong (your idol can never be wrong) or you have to  say that he is right which means you are a simulation in a simulated Universe. 

PS if you watch the video they all allude to the need for a simulation creator...…………..

Are you going to have enough intestinal fortitude to answer my question?

I  dont accept any hypothetical about the universe being a simulation. And while you continue ranting, and failing to recognise that Tyson was also speculating on the nature of reality, you'll simply continue ranting.

My speculative scenario is that the BB arose from the quantum foam which can be defined as nothing. What's your speculative scenario? C'mon, I'm really interested to hear!

3 minutes ago, beecee said:

Are you going to have enough intestinal fortitude to answer my question?

I  dont accept any hypothetical about the universe being a simulation. And while you continue ranting, and failing to recognise that Tyson was also speculating on the nature of reality, you'll simply continue ranting.

My speculative scenario is that the BB arose from the quantum foam which can be defined as nothing. What's your speculative scenario? C'mon, I'm really interested to hear!

The law of conservation of mass (accepted science on Earth, all parts) demands that only nothing can come from nothing.

5 minutes ago, Polinski said:

Any creator or magical spaghetti monster or ID of any description, while certainly also speculative, is not a scientific answer. Or is this the hidden agenda that is driving you on this crusade?

35 minutes ago, Polinski said:

I did not invoke God, Tyson did by saying that the universe could be a simulation.  Or do you believe that simulations powerful and large enough to be a universe are formed in Darwins pond that can not actually be there until after it is simulated, requiring a computer simulator programmer.  God

!

Moderator Note

Enough of this crap