Women 1 idiots 0

Curious layman

Just been reading about the Japanese student doctors who just came out top after shamefully having their grades altered :P

I still can't believe it sometimes when I hear about these stories, maybe in Saudi but not Japan. It shows the scale of the problem and why it's based on complete nonsense I think.

makes you wonder what else is yet to be discovered.

trying to put link in but can't, on iPad 4s so not sure if it's me or comp.

Wow. Not only were they denying qualified women, they were admitting unqualified, or marginally-qualified men.

"The investigation found that in this year’s entrance exams the school reduced all applicants’ first-stage test scores by 20% and then added at least 20 points for male applicants, except those who had previously failed the test at least four times. 

The education ministry official’s son, who had failed the exam three times, was given a total of 20 additional points, which eventually elevated him to just above the cutoff line."

So a double-whammy. Instead of being treated by a women who had earned her way into the program, you could be treated by a man who couldn't pass the entrance exam. Good luck with that operation!

spam download link removed by moderator

Think this is the link to the story about the nurses aceing the exam.

its not... it doesn't work for some reason. I'll work it out though.

Edited by Phi for All
removed Edge download link

In a recent report it appears after the scandal at the Juntendo medical school (one of the schools that were found to alter scores)  the pass rate was, for the first time, higher for women than men (not by a whole lot, though). At Tokyo medical school a similar higher pass rate for women was found. In the years before the pass rate for women was about a third of that of men.

8 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Just been reading about the Japanese student doctors who just came out top after shamefully having their grades altered :P

I still can't believe it sometimes when I hear about these stories, maybe in Saudi but not Japan. It shows the scale of the problem nd why it's based on complete nonsense I think.

makes you wonder what else is yet to be discovered.a

trying to put link in but can't, on iPad 4s so not sure if it's me or comp.

It wasn't fair but the motives were entirely practical. The fear was spending funds on people who were most likely to leave to have kids.  They are paying the price now because the old  population exceeds the young.

30 minutes ago, swansont said:

I believe you misspelled “discriminatory”

No, I  was replying to the fact he said it was nonsense. And I have noted that its cost them. One needs to to learn to discuss behaviours  in non-judgemental terms sometimes i.e. take ones heart off ones sleeve and just discuss dispassionately, otherwise it just descends into an emotional morass. I don't want words  putting in my  mouth. I don't put them in  yours.

Edited by StringJunky

Slightly OT but re. "Confucius says: "Man with watch always knows the time. Man with two watches is never sure.""
When was the watch invented and when was Confucius writing?

Anyway, it's not "practical" to choose bad doctors over good ones- regardless of the likely lengths of their carers.

Apart from anything else, the students are (generally) the ones picking up the cost of tuition.
The government picks up the cost of poor doctors.

21 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

No, I  was replying to the fact he said it was nonsense. And I have noted that its cost them. One needs to to learn to discuss behaviours  in non-judgemental terms sometimes i.e. take ones heart off ones sleeve and just discuss dispassionately, otherwise it just descends into an emotional morass. I don't want words  putting in my  mouth. I don't put them in  yours.

There’s nothing practical here. Less-qualified doctors. Discrimination law violation. An attempted coverup.

It had not occurred to me that a reasonable person would categorize a “I think you misspelled X” response as an attempt to put words in someone else’s mouth.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, swansont said:

There’s nothing practical here. Less-qualified doctors. Discrimination law violation. An attempted coverup.

It had not occurred to me that a reasonable person would categorize a “I think you misspelled X” response as an attempt to put words in someone else’s mouth.

I think his approach was intended to be unbiased as he could while explaining it wasn't just "nonsense" at the helm. Your approach does appear to have some bias elements, I'm not saying you're wrong, because by definition your statements are true, but the "I think you misspelled [X]" meme (cause that is what it is) from a certain perspective can come off as condescending and the argument can appear as if it's over semantics and for those whom are not familiar with meme culture and are trying to remain unbiased, it can come off as if you are trying to put words in their mouth, but that is just a thought from my perspective.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, John Cuthber said:

Slightly OT but re. "Confucius says: "Man with watch always knows the time. Man with two watches is never sure.""

intellect shaming?... really? that's your opening for a rebuttal? it's completely off topic.

Edited by Althechemist
Did not want to double post... or wait.

14 hours ago, Althechemist said:

I think his approach was intended to be unbiased as he could while explaining it wasn't just "nonsense" at the helm. Your approach does appear to have some bias elements, I'm not saying you're wrong, because by definition your statements are true, but the "I think you misspelled [X]" meme (cause that is what it is) from a certain perspective can come off as condescending and the argument can appear as if it's over semantics and for those whom are not familiar with meme culture and are trying to remain unbiased, it can come off as if you are trying to put words in their mouth, but that is just a thought from my perspective.

intellect shaming?... really? that's your opening for a rebuttal? it's completely off topic.

Your assessment is correct. As for the comment by JC about my quote: he is obviously ignorant to the concept of humorous, fictitious attribution. 

8 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

What's that meant to mean?

what are you having trouble with? and that's not me being snide, but in which way was I not clear in my words?

you brought up his signature into question in a way that has myself (and perhaps others) perceiving shame to his intellect, the comment wasn't at all necessary, as well as the comment being "slightly OT" (off topic) is false... it's completely off topic and in my logic the only purpose it could serve is to make him look less intelligent, I've lived around manipulation my whole life, I know what it looks like, but that's just my perspective.

now we are really discussing semantics...

this topic has been derailed XD

I made a joke about a joke.
What I am having trouble with is you not recognising that.

2 hours ago, Althechemist said:

"slightly OT" (off topic) is false

Aha!
You don't understand irony.
OK, go + look it up.

I know what it looks like,

No, you plainly do not, or you would be able to make the distinction.

this topic has been derailed XD

My word!
How did that happen?
Could it be because someone ignored the meat of a post and decided to go on a crusade about a trivial joke about a joke?

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I made a joke about a joke.
What I am having trouble with is you not recognising that.

Aha!
You don't understand irony.
OK, go + look it up.

No, you plainly do not, or you would be able to make the distinction.

My word!
How did that happen?
Could it be because someone ignored the meat of a post and decided to go on a crusade about a trivial joke about a joke?

oh of course the "I was joking" excuse and you know what's Ironic? you doing the exact same thing you are being sarcastic about... (which is call hypocrisy) you know how you just picked apart my post and now are tying to insult my own intelligence... and do tell what is it I need to "go + look up" (what ever the "+" is there for I have no clue) and I didn't ignore I merely pointed out your incompetence, there wasn't anything disputable about the main topic so why would I need to bring it up?

Keep digging.

Edited by Althechemist

The + usually means 'and'.
Do I need to insult your intelligence too ?

This has gotten ridiculous.
Do you and John have previous issues, or is it OCD ?

Move on and discuss the OP.

Edited by MigL

On 6/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, John Cuthber said:

"83% of quotes used on internet forums are incorrectly attributed"

Mahatma Ghandi

(what ever the "+" is there for I have no clue)

I can see why you have an issue with 

23 hours ago, Althechemist said:

intellect shaming

oh of course the "I was joking" excuse

It's not  an "excuse", it's reality. It really was a pretty obvious (if poor) joke.
Anyone who did any research and looked at my previous posts would see that my humour is often a bit obscure and/ or blunt.

17 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

"83% of quotes used on internet forums are incorrectly attributed"

Mahatma Ghandi

That's a dreadful misrepresentation.
Gandhi would have used the proper plural; "fora".

46 minutes ago, Althechemist said:

please don't dig your own grave as well by trying to threaten me.

I may have underestimated your potential with respect to irony.

you doing the exact same thing you are being sarcastic about... (which is call hypocrisy)

No, it really is called irony.

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

That's a dreadful misrepresentation.
Gandhi would have used the proper plural; "fora".

"83% of quotes fora the internet are dreadfully attributed"

Mathatma Ghandi

Better?

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Do you and John have previous issues, or is it OCD ?

Not that I'm aware of.
This is apparently his idea of an opening gambit.

There wasn't anything disputable about the main topic

Two of us disputed it...
The contention was made that the behaviour was simply "practical".

On 6/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, John Cuthber said:

Anyway, it's not "practical" to choose bad doctors over good ones- regardless of the likely lengths of their carers.

Apart from anything else, the students are (generally) the ones picking up the cost of tuition.
The government picks up the cost of poor doctors.

and

On 6/20/2019 at 9:47 PM, swansont said:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.