RFID verichip implanting in humans?

thethinkertank

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=104

That link showcases a story that clients of a nightclub were once chipped with RFID verichips, a means of electronically identifying them.

Do you think this is a trend that may soon become global?

Also how does it impact human beings to be chipped on a social, economical and psychological level?

19 minutes ago, thethinkertank said:

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=104

That link showcases a story that clients of a nightclub were once chipped with RFID verichips, a means of electronically identifying them.

Do you think this is a trend that may soon become global?

Also how does it impact human beings to be chipped on a social, economical and psychological level?

In Sydney we use what is known as an Opal card prepaid to get around on all public transport. This bloke came up with I believe something similar to what you are suggesting...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/sydney-bio-hacker-has-opal-travel-card-implanted-into-hand/8656174

Sydney man has Opal card implanted into hand to make catching public transport easier

By Nick Dole

Updated 27 Jun 2017, 6:47pm

"If you have ever been caught fumbling for your Opal card at the ticket gate, a Sydney man may have found the solution.

He had the chip from an Opal card inserted into his hand and is now tapping on using the technology that is implanted underneath his skin.

Bio-hacker Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow, his legal name, had the Opal near-field communication (NFC) chip cut down and encased in bio-compatible plastic, measuring 10 millimetres by 6 millimetres.

He then had the device implanted just beneath the skin on the side of his left hand.

"It gives me an ability that not everyone else has, so if someone stole my wallet I could still get home," he said.

He is able to use the Opal just like other users, including topping the card up on his smartphone."

Just now, beecee said:

In Sydney we use what is known as an Opal card prepaid to get around on all public transport. This bloke came up with I believe something similar to what you are suggesting...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-27/sydney-bio-hacker-has-opal-travel-card-implanted-into-hand/8656174

Sydney man has Opal card implanted into hand to make catching public transport easier

By Nick Dole

Updated 27 Jun 2017, 6:47pm

"If you have ever been caught fumbling for your Opal card at the ticket gate, a Sydney man may have found the solution.

He had the chip from an Opal card inserted into his hand and is now tapping on using the technology that is implanted underneath his skin.

Bio-hacker Meow-Ludo Disco Gamma Meow-Meow, his legal name, had the Opal near-field communication (NFC) chip cut down and encased in bio-compatible plastic, measuring 10 millimetres by 6 millimetres.

He then had the device implanted just beneath the skin on the side of his left hand.

"It gives me an ability that not everyone else has, so if someone stole my wallet I could still get home," he said.

He is able to use the Opal just like other users, including topping the card up on his smartphone."

I believe this technology will sooner or later become vogue all over the globe. People are all about trendsetting to the tune of efficiency and time saving and security.

But wouldnt this kind of electronic chipping system dehumanize human beings to some extent?

Ther was a story in U.K. Recently about employees who were agreeing to be chipped by the company they worked for. They were doing it for security purposes. 

Sounds reasonable to me, especially if your a tech firm, I see it becoming common place especially with China's spying.

it's no different to having a pace-maker, people have things like this all the time. Much better then passwords also, I'd definitely have one.

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Ther was a story in U.K. Recently about employees who were agreeing to be chipped by the company they worked for. They were doing it for security purposes. 

Sounds reasonable to me, especially if your a tech firm, I see it becoming common place especially with China's spying.

it's no different to having a pace-maker, people have things like this all the time. Much better then passwords also, I'd definitely have one.

In the wrong hands these are used in the most nefarious ways. Forget worrying about people hacking your phone and computer or spying on you in your own home. The real worry is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

1 hour ago, thethinkertank said:

But wouldnt this kind of electronic chipping system dehumanize human beings to some extent?

Absolutely.

Just now, nevim said:

In the wrong hands these are used in the most nefarious ways. Forget worrying about people hacking your phone and computer or spying on you in your own home. The real worry is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

I disagree with you there. I think the RFID system would be even safer than existing methods. Because the RFID system would basically consist of a two way storage system, with only authorized personnell like the government having a database of peoples personal information.

The RFID chip itself would be implanted in the human being and thus short of physical violence would be impossible to obtain by unauthorised parties like would be hackers. 

There is no conceivable third point at which information storage would exist, as is the case with traditional methods. For example the prevailing cyber network of information, e.g paypal allows third parties with know how to access via a computer anywhere in the world. But that is not possible with a RFID system, consisting of chippee, chip, and chipper. 

A secure three way point of privacy storage. RFID chips!

2 hours ago, nevim said:

Much like Arnie in Total Recall, you can shield implants. In this case, it's much easier. RFID is very short range.

You have "chip implant" already and have no idea about it. It's called smartphone/cell phone. Any phone can be traced because it communicates with cell towers around it, and leaves trace of communication in databases leading straight to the user of device. Regardless of OS of device.

For example Android OS has function to give list of cell towers to which device is connected.

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/TelephonyManager.html#getAllCellInfo()

It requires fine location privileges if developer would like to use it. Why? Because if somebody would start building database out of these records of data inside of Android app, send them through Internet, then lookup these cell towers, would know your location and path while walking on streets.. Then verify video monitoring in that area to get closer look of a person with device.

Hacked phone or OS directly can use such functions (or GPS directly) behind back of user of device. (GPS usage is very power consuming task, so easy detectable "something is wrong" if your smartphone is too quickly exhausted)

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, thethinkertank said:

I disagree with you there. I think the RFID system would be even safer than existing methods. Because the RFID system would basically consist of a two way storage system, with only authorized personnell like the government having a database of peoples personal information.

The RFID chip itself would be implanted in the human being and thus short of physical violence would be impossible to obtain by unauthorised parties like would be hackers. 

There is no conceivable third point at which information storage would exist, as is the case with traditional methods. For example the prevailing cyber network of information, e.g paypal allows third parties with know how to access via a computer anywhere in the world. But that is not possible with a RFID system, consisting of chippee, chip, and chipper. 

A secure three way point of privacy storage. RFID chips!

I said ‘In the wrong hands’.

6 minutes ago, swansont said:

Much like Arnie in Total Recall, you can shield implants. In this case, it's much easier. RFID is very short range.

Doesn’t matter if someone is hunting you and already has other trackers about your person.

Plus, they can be extremely hard for a person to know if they, or their belongings, have been chipped as they are teeny tiny things often no more than a pin head in size.

If found, items with them on can be zapped in the microwave for 2 or 3 seconds to ‘kill’ them.

Edited by nevim

36 minutes ago, swansont said:

If one can read chip, can make duplicate which will give the same data in the same moments, and pretend legit user.

It's technique already used by car thieves. People who have car with automatic blockage of device are disabling/enabling it from distance. So thief is placing near house reader of signal to get data. Then just replies stored signal and voila. Has access to device.

Edited by Sensei

1 minute ago, Sensei said:

If one can read chip, can make duplicate which will give the same data in the same moments, and pretend legit user.

It's technique already used by car thieves. People who owns car with automatic blockage of device are disabling/enabling it from distance. So thief is placing near house reader of signal to get data. Then just replies stored signal and voila. Has access to device.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You have "chip implant" already and have no idea about it. It's called smartphone/cell phone. Any phone can be traced because it communicates with cell towers around it, and leaves trace of communication in databases leading straight to the user of device. Regardless of OS of device.

But you are now changing the scenario. The topic is RFID. Yes, other devices/technologies can be used and are possible targets for misuse, but that's a different argument.

15 minutes ago, Sensei said:

It's technique already used by car thieves. People who owns car with automatic blockage of device are disabling/enabling it from distance. So thief is placing near house reader of signal to get data. Then just replies stored signal and voila. Has access to device.

If one can read a chip because no (or bad) security protocols have been implemented, they can make a duplicate.

That's a potential flaw in any system. It's not inherent to this one.

27 minutes ago, nevim said:

Doesn’t matter if someone is hunting you and already has other trackers about your person.

As with Sensei, you are now changing the scenario that was under discussion.

But if things are different, I agree they will be different.

12 minutes ago, swansont said:

But you are now changing the scenario. The topic is RFID. Yes, other devices/technologies can be used and are possible targets for misuse, but that's a different argument.

..because technology used, and its current name, is in reality irrelevant. It's discussion of electronic identification of a person..

6 hours ago, thethinkertank said:

Nightclub offers free WiFi for everybody and does have weak phone signal? They require guests to register and log-in to hotspot free WiFi with their e-mails, Facebook, etc. accounts? They have the all guests data already... don't need RFID chips..

Edited by Sensei

25 minutes ago, swansont said:

But if things are different, I agree they will be different.

I agree too. But ‘In the wrong hands’ there will always be other factors involved.

I’m going to leave this thread now as the memories are making me feel quite sick.