Is my dad my real dad

Throwawayaccount17

I’m a 19 year old boy. I have green eyes and dark blonde/light brown hair and I’m 5’6. My mom also has dark blonde/light brownish hair and green eyes and she’s 5’4. My dad is 6’4 and he has brown eyes and brown hair. I just want the truth since my mom is denying it and this is the only place I can think of that will help me find out if my dad is my real, biological dad. 

18 minutes ago, Throwawayaccount17 said:

I’m a 19 year old boy. I have green eyes and dark blonde/light brown hair and I’m 5’6. My mom also has dark blonde/light brownish hair and green eyes and she’s 5’4. My dad is 6’4 and he has brown eyes and brown hair. I just want the truth since my mom is denying it and this is the only place I can think of that will help me find out if my dad is my real, biological dad. 

Have your DNA compared to your dad's DNA.

2 hours ago, Throwawayaccount17 said:

Something like eye color is not as cut and dry as you may have been taught in school. Multiple genes actually come into play.

This was asking about a blue eyed child of Brown and Green eyed parents but applies to your case as well.

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask203

Entirely possible he is your biological father.

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

..sounds nice only if you will tell it to somebody who is not orphan...

Or if a parent is lying, in which case Zaps answer in the very first reply remains the correct one:

3 hours ago, zapatos said:

Have your DNA compared to your dad's DNA.

There is no reason to believe he is not your biological father. Brown eyes, brown hair are dominant, so if your father carries only one copy of the associated alleles it would be a coin toss as to whether he might pass them on to you. Based on your description alone, you certainly don't have reason to doubt your mother.

Not wanting to point out the obvious but have you asked him. You say you've asked your mum but what about your dad? Would be very awkward though. DNA tests are pretty simple too.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:27 AM, MigL said:

If he raised you, he's your real dad.
Real fathers do much more than provide genetic material.

But this pretty much sums it up perfectly for me.

good luck whatever happens.

Edited by Curious layman

On 6/19/2019 at 1:48 AM, Throwawayaccount17 said:

What would change if you find out?

You can't know for sure if he is your biological dad until you do a DNA test. It is very likely he is because the phenotype (What the DNA actually makes visible changes) You could just take most of the genes from your mom.   I would recommend taking a DNA test, those can cost up to $50 and then you can find out the full truth. btw it seems there are acualy no scientists here. 

I think you just posted a reply to me in another post.. if the above was aimed at me ( I'm no expert) I don't think it was messing with his head, I don't think any of them were messing with his head.

8 minutes ago, Yan Shyla said:

ok fine some people but I saw some people who are straight up trying to mess people heads up, sorry.

They all seem genuine to me

Edited by Curious layman

It's because on this website I sometimes see that there are actually not scientists but random people trying to tell people false facts. sorry I found out how to quote only now. oops, sorry actually i don't. sorry i'm new to this website

Edited by Yan Shyla

54 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

They all seem genuine to me

You're new to this forum so I'll give you some slack, but when you see a post like this:

1 hour ago, Yan Shyla said:

btw it seems there are acualy no scientists here. 

Don't feed it.

4 minutes ago, Yan Shyla said:

It's because on this website I sometimes see that there are actually not scientists but random people trying to tell people false facts. sorry I found out how to quote only now.

Thanks for backing me up. :rolleyes: