Im a bit concerned about 28 minus points

thethinkertank

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

I can easily see why you feel that way. Why attach a value to something (like wine) based on what others think of it (especially when the grapes were probably sour to begin with)?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." by Eleanor Roosevelt

18 minutes ago, MigL said:

Minus points don't mean anything

On that we appear to agree, MigL.

Edited by et pet

35 minutes ago, thethinkertank said:

But where third party opinions come into play, is there not the risk of unfair judgement, based on provable human phenomena (that have been observed throughout history), things like racism just to quote a random example just out of the blue? 

I have a theory that EMF waves are generated by the poster and influence the person assigning the rep points, thus ensuring an accurate reputation. Knowing this is true will greatly help those who visit the site so they can trust what they read. Perhaps someone here can run some experiments to verify the accuracy of my theory. I'd be happy to share authorship of the subsequent paper if you also agree to write it up.

Just now, zapatos said:

I have a theory that EMF waves are generated by the poster and influence the person assigning the rep points, thus ensuring an accurate reputation. Knowing this is true will greatly help those who visit the site so they can trust what they read. Perhaps someone here can run some experiments to verify the accuracy of my theory. I'd be happy to share authorship of the subsequent paper if you also agree to write it up.

What are EMF waves? Something like telepathy?

Edited by thethinkertank

35 minutes ago, thethinkertank said:

But where third party opinions come into play, is there not the risk of unfair judgement, based on provable human phenomena (that have been observed throughout history), things like racism just to quote a random example just out of the blue? 

(Note that I'm not saying that such is the case here.) 

Divulging information that might be the basis of such bias is voluntary. Posters here do so with some degree of anonymity, which mitigates this to some extent. There’s more risk from personal vendettas, and as Phi indicated, the staff monitor this. People abusing the system have their powers restricted. 

No, I’m afraid that in virtually all cases, it’s a matter of feedback on the quality of your posts. To paraphrase Martin Blank, if negative points show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring them there.

4 hours ago, et pet said:

The Minus Points mean nothing. I get them all the time from the SAME FEW POSTERS.

I believe you get them for being unnecessarily pedantic, refusing to answer questions directly and seemingly trying to be purposely argumentative.

Let me ask you a question now...Do you believe the poster who initiated this thread has yet put forward any reasonably scientific idea that could be discussed? Taking into account that  this is a science forum.

7 hours ago, thethinkertank said:

Right now I'm balancing a 3 dimensional tightrope of creativity, learning and discussion. However if my tenure on site is at stake I shall proceed to leap off said tightrope like a leapin lizard, cut down on creativity and learning and merely focus on discussion. 

Remember your early comment that you are a person who thinks outside the box? Remember the reply you received? First know what is inside the box, before attempting to go outside it. 

Try reading some basic physics books, with basic physics ideas and principals and  postulates that have been shown to be correct over the course of time. Then learn from other members here that do know a thing or two about science. Science did not advance to where it is today, based on ideas pulled out of someone's rear end.

Edited by beecee

9 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

You don’t get banned automatically for having a certain number of negative rep points. However, it is my experience that members who manage to acquire nearly 50 neg reps in less than a week don’t stick around very long. 

Oh, a nice hypothesis to test! He is at -51 now (10:40 MET DST), and he joined last Sunday 23:18.

Personally, I hope our mastermind will start reading science books, and we will get questions, asking for explanations for passages he does not understand, instead of bombarding us with ideas which only display his ignorance.