How to patent an idea or invention?

I have a couple of ideas and invention I developed over the years that I would like to patent. (One of them was the vaguely described idea for using undersea factories for global warming.)

Could anybody explain the process to me?

Also do add useful links in your answer if possible.

Edited by thethinkertank

9 hours ago, thethinkertank said:

I have a couple of ideas and invention I developed over the years that I would like to patent. (One of them was the vaguely described idea for using undersea factories for global warming.)

Could anybody explain the process to me?

Also do add useful links in your answer if possible.

First, note that you can only patent actual inventions (ideally, you would have a working model or prototype). You cannot patent an idea.

You need to be able to write a description of the invention in sufficient detail to allow someone else to build it. So a vague statement about combing CO2 with salt will not do. You would need exact details of the machinery and chemical reactions involved. You should also have suggestions for alternative implementations wherever possible (to avoid someone getting round the patent by making trivial changes, such as changing copper pipes to steel).

A patent application then puts that description a very specific format (which is why you generally need the help of a patent attorney). There are likely to be challenges from the patent office about whether the invention is original, is sufficiently inventive (ie. non-obvious), and described in enough detail.

As far as links are concerned, I would start with the patent office of your country. They generally publish a lot of helpful information. For example: https://www.nipo.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=145&lang=en

Just now, Strange said:

First, note that you can only patent actual inventions (ideally, you would have a working model or prototype). You cannot patent an idea.

You need to be able to write a description of the invention in sufficient detail to allow someone else to build it. So a vague statement about combing CO2 with salt will not do. You would need exact details of the machinery and chemical reactions involved. You should also have suggestions for alternative implementations wherever possible (to avoid someone getting round the patent by making trivial changes, such as changing copper pipes to steel).

A patent application then puts that description a very specific format (which is why you generally need the help of a patent attorney). There are likely to be challenges from the patent office about whether the invention is original, is sufficiently inventive (ie. non-obvious), and described in enough detail.

As far as links are concerned, I would start with the patent office of your country. They generally publish a lot of helpful information. For example: https://www.nipo.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=145&lang=en

Thanks for the links and the advice. Most useful.

• 3 months later...

Please remember that a patent is nothing more than a proof that you might use before judges. It doesn't prevent anyone to infringe your invention. In that case, a patent only serves if you're willing to go to court. This can be lengthy, expensive, and random. If an infringing company is in China, Brazil or the US you must go to a court there, and need a patent in said country.

Applying for a patent is already expensive, then you must pay very year to keep the patent. This holds for every country, and you must provide the text in all the languages (the EU simplifies that a bit).

So do it only if you're wealthy enough. Most patents bring money only to the governments and patent attorneys.