new particle accelerator

So a while back (few years) I was reading about some physics stuff that honestly is over my head when I had an idea for a particle accelerator that would produce ridiculously high energy particles from a desk-top setup.

I happened to not have even the most primitive lab set up so I called a university physics professor and had him try it, after he finished trash talking me.

It worked.

He stole credit for it.

I don't care...much...grr.

I want to play with it myself but I can't remember the damned thing!

I recall it using some basic particle source such as a $10 ebay ionizer plus an odd accelerator of some sort. Laser something, high voltage gradient this, magnetic field that, microwave thingamajigger. I just don't f-ing remember.

Anyway, anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, how to build one, and how well does it work?

Someone told me it works too well and I shouldn't build one ... men in black ... guys in green with stars on their shoulders ...amnesia.

All comments appreciated.

This reminds me of the time I told a guy how to make antimatter - lots of it - and he didn't even bother using  a redundant power supply for his magnetic bottle. But acted like I'M the stupid one.