electroplating safety and effectiveness

jebus1969

I seem to remember someone telling me once that any attempt at diy electroplating was going to use up so much of my time and electricity that I would end up wishing I had just bought the thing made out of silver. True?

I was thinking of using the silver nitrate + potassium cyanide method. Silver nitrate is available on ebay but where should I get the potassium cyanide? Is it $$$?

Regarding safety, how dangerous is the cyanide? Is it like in the movies or more reasonable?

If I were to forget to wear an apron and spill some on my pants would a quick shower fix it, or would my last words be "Oh shi..."

I have easily available vinegar, lemon, and lime juice. Would adding them to the mix make it faster/more efficient? Or would this be another "Oh shi..." situation due to some interaction with either the cyanide or silver nitrate?

Regarding ventilation, are we talking "open a window", outdoors, or glove-box-with-a-jet-powered-turbo-pump?

If I were to mix (according to insutructions) silver nitrate and potassium cyanide, give it a little time to settle down, then put it in a plastic bottle with a tightly sealed lid... ok or "oh shi..."?

Should I skip all this and do something different?

Lastly, have you ever actually electroplated with cyanide?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I think as anormal person you cannot purchase it. Normally only companies, universities, etc. can purchase it. Somebody has to sign a document for what application it is needed. It is a very dangerous stuff.  And yes it is like in movies, spies killed by them seAlso at home you dont have waste water treatment. With the cyanid you would poisson the envirement in the out going water.

You need a hood and a good ventilation of course.

Instead of cyanide use amin based silver salt.