Jump to content
asd2791

A strange discovery

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A while ago I went to the laryngologist, He described a medicine I can not remember his name, But the drug's function is : Drying of the acidity of the stomach, And a doctor told me: This drug also Drying all body fluids.

My problem was in the throat, But I got another unexpected result, The result is: My sense of smell has become very acute, Before that my sense of smell was weak, That known me, After a period, When I gave up treatment, My sense of smell has weakened again.

Then I asked myself: Does the nose transfer messages to the brain through nerves?
The answer is: Yes.

The conclusion is: The medicine of "Drying of the acidity of the stomach" may affect the whole nervous system, I mean a positive impact, The same effect on "sense of smell", The transfer of messages be stronger.

Finally : I have a long Anxiety disorder, Is increased fluid in my body have a role in that?
The answer is: maybe.

Edited by asd2791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
!

Moderator Note

There are clinical questions that can be answered in your opening post, but I'm going to caution everyone about giving medical diagnoses. We don't do that here, so please don't expect answers to questions involving what you specifically should do. The answer in those cases will be the same: consult your physician.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, asd2791 said:

Drying of the acidity of the stomach

That doesn't make any sense. You can't "dry" acidity. 

It may have been prescribe to prevent acid reflux, where acid comes up the oesophagus from the stomach. That is, I believe, a fairly common cause of sore throats (and coughing and various other symptoms).

On 6/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, asd2791 said:

My problem was in the throat, But I got another unexpected result, The result is: My sense of smell has become very acute, Before that my sense of smell was weak, That known me, After a period, When I gave up treatment, My sense of smell has weakened again.

If there was inflammation/irritation of the throat, this could have extended to the nasal passages and affected the sense of smell. (But without knowing more, it is all guess work. If you really want to know, you would need to ask the doctor who treated you.)

On 6/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, asd2791 said:

The conclusion is: The medicine of "Drying of the acidity of the stomach" may affect the whole nervous system

Very unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perhaps you meant antacid rather than "drying acidity"?

"Calcium carbonate is an antacid that neutralizes gastric acid within the lumen of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. Antacids, which are used only for amelioration of symptoms, are the drugs of choice for the treatment of mild, intermittent, or transient symptoms."

Check list of antacid drugs at eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Antacid-Tablets/75039/bn_7023438436

 

Indeed, hyperacidity of the stomach can cause problems with sense of smell.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyperacidity+of+the+stomach+smell

 

You should try to change your diet to such foods and drinks which decrease hyperacidity of the stomach, without having to take drugs.

Edited by Sensei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take a daily pill that combats acid reflux, like an awful lot of other people. I don't know the exact mechanism, just that it works exceptionally well, and other people also find them very effective. Apparently, they form a sort of "cap" over the stomach contents, preventing them from coming back up the throat. If I forget it for a few days, I will notice the throat gradually a teeny bit of soreness. 

I can't say that my sense of smell gets any better on it, but I do notice some odd smells that seem to persist throughout the day, just getting the tiniest whiff now and then. I thought it was something coming from my skin, but if I put a hand or an arm to my nose I smell nothing, so I'm leaning towards the idea that it's a phantom smell. Nobody else notices. It's a bit weird. Something else that happens now and then is that a smell persists in my nose, even though the source is long gone. The other day, I drove back from an airport trip, and called in at the services half way home, just for a pee. 

I could smell doughnuts in the services, but that smell stayed faintly with me all the way home, another twenty miles, when I couldn't possibly be really smelling it. I just quickly nipped in and out, just used the gents. Surely not long enough for the smell to impregnate my clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 8:27 AM, asd2791 said:

A while ago I went to the laryngologist, He described a medicine I can not remember his name, But the drug's function is : Drying of the acidity of the stomach, And a doctor told me: This drug also Drying all body fluids.

My problem was in the throat, But I got another unexpected result, The result is: My sense of smell has become very acute, Before that my sense of smell was weak, That known me, After a period, When I gave up treatment, My sense of smell has weakened again.

Then I asked myself: Does the nose transfer messages to the brain through nerves?
The answer is: Yes.

The conclusion is: The medicine of "Drying of the acidity of the stomach" may affect the whole nervous system, I mean a positive impact, The same effect on "sense of smell", The transfer of messages be stronger.

Finally : I have a long Anxiety disorder, Is increased fluid in my body have a role in that?
The answer is: maybe.

The sense of smell is primitive in comparison with others and have a molecular basis. Imagine a key needing to fit into a lock. Because of this a number of drugs can have an impact.

I would start by getting the name of the medicine from your doctor.  Then you can check if the bennefits could be replicated or if continued use is advisable.

Here is a list of some drugs known to have an effect. May help to narrow your search.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095881118300234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, mistermack said:

Apparently, they form a sort of "cap" over the stomach contents, preventing them from coming back up the throat. If I forget it for a few days, I will notice the throat gradually a teeny bit of soreness. 

Most drugs counteractic acid reflux target the acid production, either being antacids, H2 receptor blockers or proton pump inhibitors. Another approach is to use a drug to reduce muscle spasms (such as Baclofen) which reduces the rate of lower esophageal sphincter relaxation (I suppose that is what you think of when you say cap as actual blockage would be quite problematic) . For the former there is the long term risk of bacterial infections as the stomach acid may be reduced too much and promote bacterial overgrowth and infections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 10:30 PM, mistermack said:

I take a daily pill that combats acid reflux, like an awful lot of other people. I don't know the exact mechanism, just that it works exceptionally well, and other people also find them very effective. Apparently, they form a sort of "cap" over the stomach contents, preventing them from coming back up the throat. If I forget it for a few days, I will notice the throat gradually a teeny bit of soreness. 

I can't say that my sense of smell gets any better on it, but I do notice some odd smells that seem to persist throughout the day, just getting the tiniest whiff now and then. I thought it was something coming from my skin, but if I put a hand or an arm to my nose I smell nothing, so I'm leaning towards the idea that it's a phantom smell. Nobody else notices. It's a bit weird. Something else that happens now and then is that a smell persists in my nose, even though the source is long gone. The other day, I drove back from an airport trip, and called in at the services half way home, just for a pee. 

I could smell doughnuts in the services, but that smell stayed faintly with me all the way home, another twenty miles, when I couldn't possibly be really smelling it. I just quickly nipped in and out, just used the gents. Surely not long enough for the smell to impregnate my clothes.

If you've got a bit of a pot belly, that can cause it; physical pressure from the fat there on the stomach. My optimum weight is between 10 and 12 stone and if I go over 13 stone I have a regular gastric reflux problem... at 12.5 stone it disappears. A gastroenterologist I was seeing noted that rapid weight change can cause it... I went from 11.5 stone to 13.5 stone  during treatment I was having. I suppose the top stomach sphincter can only take so much external pressure before it not keeps closed as and when it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

If you've got a bit of a pot belly, that can cause it; physical pressure from the fat there on the stomach. My optimum weight is between 10 and 12 stone and if I go over 13 stone I have a regular gastric reflux problem... at 12.5 stone it disappears. A gastroenterologist I was seeing noted that rapid weight change can cause it... I went from 11.5 stone to 13.5 stone  during treatment I was having. I suppose the top stomach sphincter can only take so much external pressure before it not keeps closed as and when it should.

That is a great point. Body weight is probably the leading cause. Diet can also aggravate symptoms (say excessive alcohol or, ehem, coffee consumption). Weight reduction is probably the best treatment (especially considering other benefits) as chronic use of the mentioned medication can cause quite a range of other issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CharonY said:

That is a great point. Body weight is probably the leading cause. Diet can also aggravate symptoms (say excessive alcohol or, ehem, coffee consumption). Weight reduction is probably the best treatment (especially considering other benefits) as chronic use of the mentioned medication can cause quite a range of other issues.

My gastro gave me a proton pump inhibitor to deal with the symptom at the time, which worked, but I knew from him what the likely cause was and dealt with it when I was in the right mind. It's been a blessing really because I can't become too overweight without paying for it. I do know several people who just pop antacids without trying to find an underlying cause and just treat it as just an annoying ongoing fact of their life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I do know several people who just pop antacids without trying to find an underlying cause and just treat it as just an annoying ongoing fact of their life.

That is indeed a problem, many folks prefer just to deal with the symptoms and ignore the underlying problem. It addresses the need for instant relief without the changing lifestyle (which, admittedly, can be hard to do). Props to you for dealing with it. In the long term, it can lead to GI issues, many of which (including changes in the microbiome) we only start to understand or even investigate now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CharonY said:

That is indeed a problem, many folks prefer just to deal with the symptoms and ignore the underlying problem. It addresses the need for instant relief without the changing lifestyle (which, admittedly, can be hard to do). Props to you for dealing with it. In the long term, it can lead to GI issues, many of which (including changes in the microbiome) we only start to understand or even investigate now.

Thanks. Changing lifestyle in a family/group setting must be  hard because the others are going to carry on what one is trying to avoid. I have a solitary home life so I can make radical decisions about my lifestyle and routines without  pressure to conform to what is normal in any given family setting. For instance, my diet plan just consisted of removing the biggest meal of the day as a routine and just having it maybe once a week or so. In a family setting, you would have to resist dinner smells for the others if you said "No more dinners for me".  Good luck on that one. :)

Edited by StringJunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.