replacing someone's entire DNA

Hans de Vries

If we used gene editing to quickly replace someone's DNA (I'm talking of an adult person) with DNA from another person, what would happen to him/her? Since everyone's biochemistry is slightly different, would ut kead to significant physical changes? 

Most likely, maybe not immediately but skin color, eye color, hair color could all change. 
You would see hormonal changes etc.

of course... its not actually feasible to do this in an adult person at all.

12 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

If we used gene editing to quickly replace someone's DNA (I'm talking of an adult person) with DNA from another person, what would happen to him/her? Since everyone's biochemistry is slightly different, would ut kead to significant physical changes? 

There will be some minor physical manifestations. For example, if you don't do it quickly enough the person will experience a mild case of death due to immune response.

54 minutes ago, pavelcherepan said:

There will be some minor physical manifestations. For example, if you don't do it quickly enough the person will experience a mild case of death due to immune response.

Oh that's a good one I didn't think about... But even when you do it quick enough, your T/B cells and macrophages will attack the body. Changing their DNA won't make them not attack the body, except if we would go over every B-cell individually and change each one to a different genetic code. 

1 hour ago, Dagl1 said:

Oh that's a good one I didn't think about... But even when you do it quick enough, your T/B cells and macrophages will attack the body. Changing their DNA won't make them not attack the body, except if we would go over every B-cell individually and change each one to a different genetic code. 

There's probably a way. A way that will likely kill the DNA recipient.

For science.

We subject the person to a strong radiation in order to completely destroy bone marrow. Then we quickly change all DNA and also do a bone marrow transplant from the DNA donor and a blood transfusion from him/her as well. 

3 hours ago, pavelcherepan said:

There's probably a way. A way that will likely kill the DNA recipient.

For science.

We subject the person to a strong radiation in order to completely destroy bone marrow. Then we quickly change all DNA and also do a bone marrow transplant from the DNA donor and a blood transfusion from him/her as well. 

For science. (feel like this could become a cult slogan "for the greater good" becomes "for science.".)

Your way should most likely leave the person alive, also since we have changed ALL the DNA, the radiation shouldn't be causing too many problems on the cancer-front.

-Dagl
for science.

2 hours ago, Dagl1 said:

For science. (feel like this could become a cult slogan "for the greater good" becomes "for science.".)

Nah, it's a part of a quote by GLaDOS (Portal 2 by Valve): "I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

Edited by pavelcherepan

But if you managed to swap someone's whole DNA without causing an autoimmune response, what would happen?

Bone structure is fixed in late adolescence-early adulthood so it would not change at all probably - but other things are far from fixed. Skin and hair are growing continuously.

Brain structure and function is not fixed either and it is mediated by levels of various neurotransmitters, hormones, enzymes, probably hundreds of different types of proteins that we aren't even aware of yet. 

On 6/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, Hans de Vries said:

But if you managed to swap someone's whole DNA without causing an autoimmune response, what would happen?

Bone structure is fixed in late adolescence-early adulthood so it would not change at all probably - but other things are far from fixed. Skin and hair are growing continuously.

Brain structure and function is not fixed either and it is mediated by levels of various neurotransmitters, hormones, enzymes, probably hundreds of different types of proteins that we aren't even aware of yet. 

I will answer this question. I myself had the same question in a post before, what if we swap our DNA with a bear. The answer is, the effect will not show until you apply regeneration(cell proliferation). And as you begin to regenerate the body parts, you will begin to unlock the structure. It's good that people are finally catching up in terms of science :D.