Wide spread bug purging

fredreload

I'm thinking of using a type of radio wave to purge the bug on this island. Only the harmful ones like mosquitoes or crockroaches. I got this idea from crispr where they are thinking of using crispr to make mosquitoes extinct, unfortunately I've never read that article, just read the title. Then I bought a bottle of repellant that is supposed to help against mosquitoes. Anyway, let me know if you got any bug purging ideas.

https://www.electroschematics.com/3864/ultrasound-and-insects/

Edited by fredreload

17 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I'm thinking of using a type of radio wave to purge the bug on this island. Only the harmful ones like mosquitoes or crockroaches. I got this idea from crispr where they are thinking of using crispr to make mosquitoes extinct, unfortunately I've never read that article, just read the title. Then I bought a bottle of repellant that is supposed to help against mosquitoes. Anyway, let me know if you got any bug purging ideas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20669080

What do radio waves have to do with ultrasound or CRISPR (which relates to DNA)?

1 minute ago, swansont said:

What do radio waves have to do with ultrasound or CRISPR (which relates to DNA)?

Crispr is where I got the purging idea, it has nothing to do with radio wave. And radio wave is just an idea for me to start finding support articles relating to EM radiation and bug repel.

I'm pretty sure radiation at levels high enough to purge mosquitoes will pose a health risk for many more species. Iirc, experiments have been done with radio stations playing tones at frequencies to match various bugs, and none have shown significant effects.

Fliegenglas utilize pleasant to flies odors.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fliegenglas

Fliegenglas.thumb.jpg.fefbf601c6911405b533c8ca26baa13e.jpg

Bug zappers utilize high voltage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_zapper

58 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I got this idea from crispr where they are thinking of using crispr to make mosquitoes extinct,

Why would you like to extinct entire specie??

Maybe you should better start from learning of role of some specie in their ecosystem to not make serious mistake which could destabilize ecosystem..

Edited by Sensei

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

Maybe you should better start from learning of role of some specie in their ecosystem to not make serious mistake which could destabilize ecosystem..

Well, you guys aren't islanders, I have like 5 bug bites on me as I am typing this post, but right, making species extinct could raise a problem.

Two things I do if the bugs are bad is check around the yard for puddles or moist areas and dry them out, and this includes gutters coming off your roof. Also have an electric fan nearby. Mosquitos aren't as likely to land on you in the wind, and they can't bite you if they don't land. 

For cockroaches, they're getting water and food from your home somehow, so you need to cut off that supply. Again, make sure the house is dry and clean. If I had roaches, I would sweep and mop every day and dry the floor after mopping. Make pets eat outside or in a controllable area. No more crumbs or oil on the floor, no more food, no more cockroaches. 

5 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Two things I do if the bugs are bad is check around the yard for puddles or moist areas and dry them out, and this includes gutters coming off your roof. Also have an electric fan nearby. Mosquitos aren't as likely to land on you in the wind, and they can't bite you if they don't land. 

For cockroaches, they're getting water and food from your home somehow, so you need to cut off that supply. Again, make sure the house is dry and clean. If I had roaches, I would sweep and mop every day and dry the floor after mopping. Make pets eat outside or in a controllable area. No more crumbs or oil on the floor, no more food, no more cockroaches. 

We've got AC running but the mosquito still land, but thanks I'll take the electric fan idea.

It's impossible to dry out, we're surrounded by the pacific ocean in the island here in Taiwan.

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

We've got AC running but the mosquito still land,

Conditioners usually don't put out enough air volume to disrupt the bug's flight. Conditioners rely on less air at a lower temperature being blown in, whereas the fan is all about moving lots of air around, which can prevent them from landing on you.

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

It's impossible to dry out, we're surrounded by the pacific ocean in the island here in Taiwan.

Puddles can always be drained and the depressions filled in with dirt or sand, piles of wet leaves can be removed, anywhere water retention happens needs to be altered. Containers and cans that can hold water should be covered or altered. Mosquitoes aren't laying eggs in the ocean, they're looking for calm, stagnant water and human blood. A friend of mine in Florida swears that planting catnip repels mosquitoes (but has been known to attracts cats).

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 4:05 AM, fredreload said:

We've got AC running but the mosquito still land, but thanks I'll take the electric fan idea.

Same here. While AC do has some slight effect, having kilometers of mosquito net as well as a bug zapper usually helps. According to this article https://pestcontrolhacks.com/the-best-bug-zapper-trap-em-and-zap-em/ even burning mosquito coils isn't very effective, but smelly things like eucalyptus and lavender are powerful repellents. Surprisingly, I'm somehow allergic to these things.

Mosquitos aren't attracted to the UV lamps in your typical lantern bug-zapper, which limits their effectiveness in that application.

However, there are apparently ones that give off CO2, which does attract them

"Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and water vapor in the breath of mammals, not ultraviolet light.[6] However, there are now bug zappers that emit carbon dioxide or use an external bait, such as octenol, to better attract biting insects into the light."

On 6/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, Sensei said:

Fliegenglas utilize pleasant to flies odors.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fliegenglas

Fliegenglas.thumb.jpg.fefbf601c6911405b533c8ca26baa13e.jpg

Bug zappers utilize high voltage

If he is just talking about purging them from someplace like the Hawaiian islands,  mosquitoes  aren't native to those islands and were brought in from the outside.  So, if anything, you would be removing an "invasive species".  The island ecosystem was just fine before they came and would survive their departure.

11 hours ago, Janus said:

If he is just talking about purging them from someplace like the Hawaiian islands,  mosquitoes  aren't native to those islands and were brought in from the outside.  So, if anything, you would be removing an "invasive species".  The island ecosystem was just fine before they came and would survive their departure.

Every specie is invasive specie, it is just a matter how long in history of the Earth (or continent, or island) we look at..

The Big Island ("Hawai'i") is just ~400k years old. The oldest one is 5.1 Ma.

Mosquitoes at various stages of their development could already became source of food for native species, like birds, fishes or bugs. They had over two hundred years to adopt.