Drinking alcohol cures cold?

fredreload

So a few days ago I started drinking alcohol, the 3% alcohol cocktail by Suntory that is sold in the market. After continuously drinking for a month, I have not caught a cold since. And there really isn't any other symptoms besides no longer afraid of heat and sneezes from time to time, it probably killed too many germs. Anyway, there was this myth that drinking eggnog cures cold. So, this is unconfirmed medical advice, meaning you shouldn't try it when you are sick. If the cold is not going to kill me I might experiment with the cold by drinking that 3% alcohol. But I want to hear what you experts think. I mean drinking alcohol goes into the whole body and bloodstream instead of just rubbing it on the skin, but at low concentration that is. I dunno if that amount of concentration is good enough to have therapeutic effect in killing bacteria and viruses.

Edited by fredreload

5 minutes ago, fredreload said:

o a few days ago I started drinking alcohol, the 3% alcohol cocktail by Suntory that is sold in the market. After continuously drinking for a month, I have not caught a cold since.

Becoming an alcoholic is much worse than getting colds.

Just now, fredreload said:

Once every two weeks on 3% alcohol = =.

...once every two weeks you have cold.. ? That's not normal..

There is spring (at least on the northern hemisphere), when I walk, ride on bike, on the streets, hearing people sneezing and coughing regularly.. They don't have cold.. They have pollen allergy..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergic_rhinitis

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

...After continuously drinking for a month...

Getting hooked on a drug because of reasons is one thing but doing it purposely to avoid catching a cold is plain moronic. Unless you’re looking to people help you here to justify your addiction? Thats what alcoholics do, they look for justifications everywhere which enables them to think that their addiction is a „perfectly normal” thing.

14 minutes ago, Sensei said:

...once every two weeks you have cold.. ? That's not normal..

There is spring (at least on the northern hemisphere), when I walk, ride on bike, on the streets, hearing people sneezing and coughing regularly.. They don't have cold.. They have pollen allergy..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergic_rhinitis

Woh there, I did not invent alcohol :D lol, but I just thought maybe the inventor would know that it could be used as a drug before penicillin shows up? No offense Alexander Fleming, I respect you.

Just now, fredreload said:

Woh there, I did not invent alcohol :D lol, but I just thought maybe the inventor would know that it could be used as a drug before penicillin shows up? No offense Alexander Fleming, I respect you.

Yes. People drinking alcohol in ancient and medieval times were more healthier than people not drinking alcohol (i.e. home made beer and wine). Microbes dislike ethanol, especially in larger concentrations. The toughest yeast is dying at >20% concentration of ethanol. But if you have to drink water from river which is not clean (no sewage treatment plants) or drink wine, made of grapes, obviously healthier people will be the second one.. (ancient) people have no idea water should be boiled (distilled?) to clean it from (unknown to them) microbes and other pathogens..

2 hours ago, fredreload said:

After continuously drinking for a month

I sincerely doubt you drank continuously for a month. Continually, perhaps.

So a few days ago I started drinking alcohol, the 3% alcohol cocktail by Suntory that is sold in the market. After continuously drinking for a month, I have not caught a cold since. 

So you started a few days ago, but it was a month? And you haven’t had a cold in a little more than that month, or how long has it been? Is this all that unusual?

48 minutes ago, swansont said:

So you started a few days ago, but it was a month? And you haven’t had a cold in a little more than that month, or how long has it been? Is this all that unusual?

No, I can't remember what I had for tea...

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

Yes. People drinking alcohol in ancient and medieval times were more healthier than people not drinking alcohol (i.e. home made beer and wine). Microbes dislike ethanol, especially in larger concentrations.

For the most part, it's not the alcohol in beer that kills the bacteria- it's the fact that the brewing process requires prolonged boiling.

Making tea also works.

There is a (not too serious) suggestion that the British empire was a success because we adopted both reasons for boiling our water.

14 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

For the most part, it's not the alcohol in beer that kills the bacteria- it's the fact that the brewing process requires prolonged boiling.

Making tea also works.

There is a (not too serious) suggestion that the British empire was a success because we adopted both reasons for boiling our water.

Boiling certainly kills bacteria, but it is also true that pathogens cannot survive in beer.

14 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

And I would like to thank the Brits for one of your other medicines, gin and tonic.  The perfect summer mixed drink!

Edited by Bufofrog

2 hours ago, swansont said:

I sincerely doubt you drank continuously for a month. Continually, perhaps.

Sir, thanks for the grammer correction :D.

45 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Making tea also works.

All hands on British tea :D.

Edited by fredreload

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Boiling certainly kills bacteria, but it is also true that pathogens cannot survive in beer.

Well, lets hope they don't evolve past that. 

hmm...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC140401/

"Relatively Alcohol-Resistant Mycobacteria Are Emerging Pathogens in Patients Receiving Acupuncture Treatment"

"Alcohol resistance assay using the quantitative suspension test revealed that all four strains showed prolonged survival in 75% alcohol compared to other skin flora. Mycobacterial infections transmitted by acupuncture are an emerging problem. "

In the middle of article there is graph % of survival vs time in seconds.

@Bufofrog

Search net for keywords "pathogens in beer resistance", "pathogens in ethanol" etc. There are graphs showing how many days (or seconds) different species of microbes can survive in what % of alcohol.

Edited by Sensei

6 hours ago, fredreload said:

After continuously drinking for a month, I have not caught a cold since.

I don't get a could most months. In fact, I would not be too surprised to go 12 or more months without a cold.

Drinking alcohol cures cold?

Given the vast amount of cold research that has been done, I think we can confidently answer this. No.