57 minutes ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Hi,

I've read that the grow phase of hair (anagen phase) can last about 7 years and that the hair grows about 0.5 inches per month (depending on each person). World record is about 6.3 meters. How did he get so long hair then?

From Wikipedia:

Scalp: The time these phases last varies from person to person. Different hair color and follicle shape affects the timings of these phases.

• Anagen phase, 2–8 years (occasionally much longer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle#Timeline

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Hi,

I've read that the grow phase of hair (anagen phase) can last about 7 years and that the hair grows about 0.5 inches per month (depending on each person). World record is about 6.3 meters. How did he get so long hair then?

I don't think the follicles on a head are in the same phase at any point in time. Also when it goes into the weakest phase, the hair is thinner, so it breaks at the slightest tension. If it's under a turban, or some such cover, it won't break off.

Edited by StringJunky

There are three phases of hair growth.

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Hi,

Extremes happen in nature, that's just, hair, life. ;)

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I don't think the follicles on a head are in the same phase at any point in time.

Wouldn't that be weird, though, if they were. Even weirder if everyone in a society ended up synchronised as well!