Devilmagra

Help me to recover mercury.

Recommended Posts

Hi

First i made mixed
Nitric acid + acid salt 
With this solution mercury is processed 3 times (every time used new acid)

then i have got orange color solution and mercury is completly dessolved.

Please tell me how i recover mercury from this solution

20190528_164241.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the love of god, at least put some gloves on!

I would hazard that your mercury (assuming you mean you added elemental mercury?) has reacted, not dissolved, which might also explain the brown gas you have forming there (which is toxic, by the way). Please do not do things like this if you do not know what you are doing, and do not have access to appropriate safety controls. A reaction like this should ideally be performed in a fume hood, and you should not be working with it without full PPE. Mercury is quite toxic, and nitric acid isn’t super friendly either. If you don’t have a good reason to need it, I would strongly recommend not working with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

For the love of god, at least put some gloves on!

I would hazard that your mercury (assuming you mean you added elemental mercury?) has reacted, not dissolved, which might also explain the brown gas you have forming there (which is toxic, by the way). Please do not do things like this if you do not know what you are doing, and do not have access to appropriate safety controls. A reaction like this should ideally be performed in a fume hood, and you should not be working with it without full PPE. Mercury is quite toxic, and nitric acid isn’t super friendly either. If you don’t have a good reason to need it, I would strongly recommend not working with it.

Thanks for cautions.

Can solve my problem where is mercury and in which stage

Effects on my finger

15590534320451664163521.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s in solution as a nitrate salt. Please stop whatever it is you are trying to do and find a way to safely dispose of the reaction mixture. You are not equipped to be performing these reactions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reacted solution with aluminum
Acid started reacting with aluminim and leaving mercury

The mercury is recovered 
Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Congratulations !

I hope this small success is worth the acid burns and the shakes/numbness/mental problems you'll get from mercury poisoning.

Edited by MigL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy’s as mad as a hatter... or soon will be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MigL said:

Congratulations !

I hope this small success is worth the acid burns and the shakes/numbness/mental problems you'll get from mercury poisoning.

 

2 hours ago, iNow said:

This guy’s as mad as a hatter... or soon will be

I worked for 27 years at ICI of Australia, 10 of those mainly in the section we called the "cell room" where we manufactured Sodium Hydroxide [NaOH] and Chlorine[Cl] The process involved cells around 100 ft long and 3ft wide and 8in deep. Mercury [Hg] was used as a catylist in the process.

The Hg was always as much as possible, kept covered with water,  and the factory/warehouse where this was taken place, had industrial fans continually blowing all the time to get rid of the Hg that did happen to evaporate under the hottish conditions where this took place.

Also all workers were urine tested once a month, and if personal readings reached a scale 20% below that which was recommended by the WHO, he was immediatley removed from that section into another area of production...

In recent times and well after my departure, this method of  Cl production was ceased in favour of another method. There was also some ground contamination in that region after something like 40 years of using Hg. That ground now has all been monitored/sifted/removed and other precautions taken at the bequest of the NSW government and at costs to ICI of Australia now known as ORICA.

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/-/media/epa/corporate-site/resources/epa/botany-mercury-independent-review-final-report-160718.pdf?la=en&hash=2A679A3429138

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/working-together/community-engagement/community-news/orica-botany-bay-incident/orica-botany

Edited by beecee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i dont do this experiments in future.

Will it not poisoning my body.

Does it make poisoning by one time process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Devilmagra said:

If i dont do this experiments in future.

Will it not poisoning my body.

Does it make poisoning by one time process.

The point is as others have been telling you, is that Hg is very toxic and should not be handled and precautions need to be taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilmagra said:

I am feeling mucus cough today what should i do now? :(

Allah bless me.

!

Moderator Note

If you are worried, you should see a doctor. We cannot give medical advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Devilmagra said:

Allah bless me.

This made me suspicious. Here is why:

Quote

 

Mercury(II) fulminate, or Hg(CNO)2, is a primary explosive. It is highly sensitive to friction, heat and shock and is mainly used as a trigger for other explosives in percussion caps and blasting caps.

<...>

Mercury(II) fulminate is prepared by dissolving mercury in nitric acid and adding

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eise said:

This made me suspicious. Here is why

!

Moderator Note

And I think that is a good time to close this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.