100 Years of Gravity and confirmation of GR:

beecee

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-video-years-gravity.html

One hundred years ago this month, observations performed during a total solar eclipse proved for the first time the gravitational bending of light predicted by Albert Einstein's new theory of gravity, general relativity. In this video, Günther Hasinger, ESA Director of Science, reflects on this historic measurement that inaugurated a century of exciting experiments, investigating gravity on Earth and in space and proving general relativity in ever greater detail.

more at link.....

I have read reports that the 1919 solar eclipse observations were inconclusive, and may have even falsified results to make them seem more conclusive. Sir A Eddington considered himself one of the 'five' people in the world who understood relativity, and may have had vested interests.
( the more I read about this guy, the more he seems like a pompous ass, although a good scientist )

Subsequent ( more accurate ) tests for the bending of light in a gravity well DID prove conclusively the amount of bending predicted by  A Einstein.

4 hours ago, MigL said:

Subsequent ( more accurate ) tests for the bending of light in a gravity well DID prove conclusively the amount of bending predicted by  A Einstein.

Granted, but I'm not sure that Eddington would have really did what you suggest. Still the many more accurate tests since, have verified his findings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.