What could win a Nobel Prize in the Star Wars galaxy?

Maximum7

I’m writing a story about a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy and he wins the Star Wars equivalent of a Nobel Prize. Do you have a Nobel prize thing my scientist can study that’s SUPER advanced and almost like Science 2.0. It doesn’t have to be super technobabbly and I’d like to avoid time travel, teleportation or parallel universes because those things conflict with the Force and could damage the story.

It’s science fiction, and a setting where we know our physics doesn’t necessarily apply. So you have leeway to just invent something.

An important question is when in the Star Wars galaxy? They had to have some discovery leading to hyperdrive technology and tractor beams, for example, and these are already in the story line, but could be discoveries if the story happens further back in history 

1 hour ago, Maximum7 said:

I’m writing a story about a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy and he wins the Star Wars equivalent of a Nobel Prize.

Don't forget there are several Nobel prizes for different things, so your scientist could be involved in one of a variety of sciences.

55 minutes ago, swansont said:

They had to have some discovery leading to hyperdrive technology

Various Jedi talked of feeling a 'disturbance in the Force'

Considering the dustance involved both hyperdrives and feeling in the Force must be translight.
Perhaps your scientist discovers a connection between them?

1 hour ago, Maximum7 said:

Do you have a Nobel prize thing my scientist can study

Some ideas, I do not know the complete of all partes of the various stories so these may already exist in the universe:

Regenerating lost limbs or both parts.
Advanced version of above; modifications allowing bodies to automatically and quickly regenerate.
"Nanotech" versions of standard equipment in the universe; implants allowing an individual to use tractor beam or hyperdrive* technologies without help of any external tools.
The opposite, larger versions; Planet hyperdrive; move moons or planets to other star systems or hide them in interstellar space.
Turing elements into other elements in large amounts, for instance making titanium from hydrogen.

*) Note, that could be classified as teleportation and maybe disqualified.

42 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Some ideas, I do not know the complete of all partes of the various stories so these may already exist in the universe:

Regenerating lost limbs or both parts.
Advanced version of above; modifications allowing bodies to automatically and quickly regenerate.

Realistically these effects would work on only a limited number of species. Expanding the effect (for any treatment, probably) so that it was applicable to more species would be worthy of a prize

Anyone who can explain the workings of a lightsaber deserves a Nobel prize in fabricating the absurd.  Yes, how do you make light travel only 3 feet?  I would rather use a ray gun.

"The lightsaber is the signature weapon of the Jedi Order and their Sith counterparts, both of whom can use them for melee combat, or to deflect blaster bolts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber

The premise of Star Wars is extremely absurd, "let's have war in space forever!!"

I prefer "exploring strange new worlds and going where no one has gone before!" like the original Star Trek series did with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.

Edited by Airbrush

I will go one step further on the subject of Nobel Prize in "Star Wars."  Is Trump president because of the "type" of fans of Star Wars and "PRO" (fake) Wrestling (WWE) of which Trump has always been a big fan, about 1/3 of the US population?  What is the correlation between fans of something as fake as WWE and Star Wars and Trump?

Let's get back to reality and explore REAL strange new worlds and go where no one has gone before.  This is the science discussion site.

Edited by Airbrush

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

I will go one step further on the subject of Nobel Prize in "Star Wars."  Is Trump president because of the "type" of fans of Star Wars and "PRO" (fake) Wrestling (WWE) of which Trump has always been a big fan, about 1/3 of the US population?  What is the correlation between fans of something as fake as WWE and Star Wars and Trump?

Let's get back to reality and explore REAL strange new worlds and go where no one has gone before.  This is the science discussion site.

!

Moderator Note

The correlation between fans of fiction and Trump voters is off topic. If you want to discuss that, start a thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Light saber. Invented by a Jedi.

There is a book by Michio Kaku, Physics of the Impossible, that talks about how sci-fi technologies could become real.

But aren't Noble prizes based on benefit of application. Star Wars seem to be always battling.

My favorite the R2. It is probably a common answer that R2 should win the prize, but most other Star Wars other technologies are for war.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, Airbrush said:

Anyone who can explain the workings of a lightsaber deserves a Nobel prize in fabricating the absurd.  Yes, how do you make light travel only 3 feet?  

A mirror at the end of 2 carbon nano tube cables, the laser pushes the mirror and heats the cables to provide the cutting surface.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, Airbrush said:

I would rather use a ray gun.

What sort of hero uses a ray gun in preference to a light sabre? :ph34r: 

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

mirror at the end of 2 carbon nano tube cables, the laser pushes the mirror and heats the cables to provide the cutting surface

Cool.

How about the Kyber crystal in the sabre is attuned to the force and uses the Jedi's force power to confine the light in the sabre to the 3 foot of the blade  (like Kylo Ren does to the blaster shot in one of the newer films at the beginning when he freezes it in the air).

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Or give them a light sabre?

Do they work if the user is not force sensitive? If not then it would add weight to my idea of how they might work above.  (...hmm - Grievous uses 4 of them, so no, unless he's force sensitive without really knowing it).

They don't have mobile phones - maybe they'd win the Nobel prize for communications.

The wheel?  lol...  not sure I've ever seen a wheel in Star Wars. It would surely save a lot of power pushing a cart along rather than levitating it. Nobel prize for transport.

Hippocampus Stockings for Twyleks? Nobel prize for alien fashions.

Edited by DrP

3 minutes ago, DrP said:

How about the Kyber crystal in the sabre is attuned to the force and uses the Jedi's force power to confine the light in the sabre to the 3 foot of the blade  (like Kylo Ren does to the blaster shot in one of the newer films at the beginning when he freezes it in the air).

Now your just using magic; I can't take you seriously. :P

29 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Now your just using magic; I can't take you seriously. :P

ha ha ha. :D

I like the idea now of connecting the Twylek's ear stockings via suspender chains to a face veil. I think I am onto something here for sexy clothing for aliens... but it won't win any Nobel Prizes... unless there is one in the Star Wars universe for high design in alien burlesque or something.  

Handrails on the Death Star for the engineering and command levels? Nobel prize for safety in the workplace. The place is a death trap.

.......chicken wire.  A simple piece of chicken wire or some stronger mesh to cover the exhaust port on the death star. Just to stop any space debris floating down the pipe and causing a blockage.

Edited by DrP

1 hour ago, DrP said:

The wheel?  lol...  not sure I've ever seen a wheel in Star Wars. It would surely save a lot of power pushing a cart along rather than levitating it. Nobel prize for transport.

Physics obviously works differently in the Star Wars universe (relativity seems to not be an issue, for example), so levitation may be easier, and/or power sources are much more prevalent.

And, to the OP, the physics behind how you can jump to light speed — whatever is in place instead of relativity — would undoubtedly have won the equivalent of a Nobel, if it's something other than just "Galilean relativity works here"

On 6/20/2019 at 6:14 AM, dimreepr said:

A mirror at the end of 2 carbon nano tube cables, the laser pushes the mirror and heats the cables to provide the cutting surface.

So that means a light saber is a retractable mirror suspended at the end of a metal rod?  For a double-edged sword you may have 2 lasers between the mirror and the hilt.  Ok that makes sense.  I would prefer Sgt. Saunders Tommy Gun.

Edited by Airbrush

On 6/22/2019 at 1:10 AM, dimreepr said:

No metal rod, it's suspended at the end of two carbon nano-tubes. 

Could you elaborate on what 2 carbon nano-tubes are?  One nano-tube for each laser?  Why do you need to heat cables?  Let the lasers do the cutting.