Jump to content
dimreepr

Theresa May resigns

Recommended Posts

That must’ve been one big bird. Even organic chickens are less than $10 by me. I’m in the Midwest. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

Reading this made me curious, so I bought a whole chicken.  It's organic and as such cost about twice normal ($17).  It says: "100 % AIR CHILLED, No Retained Water, Including chlorinated water."  I'll look at a cheaper chicken next time.  (I'm in the Midwest US.)

 

Come to think of it, I may be thinking of roaster chickens which tend to be smaller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, iNow said:

That must’ve been one big bird. Even organic chickens are less than $10 by me. I’m in the Midwest. 

I'm in Minnesota.  My eyes bulged when I saw $17 on the register.  Better taste good.

Edit: 4.27 lb.

Edited by Huckleberry of Yore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I asked, in case anyone was wondering, is that representatives of the USA have said that accepting chlorinated chicken will be a condition of any trade deal (They may, of course have been wrong).
People who are happy to leave the EU keep saying "It's OK- it will be labelled so, if you don't want it, you don't have to have it."
 

My best guess is that the USA will also insist on exporting its labelling laws to the UK (precisely because the chicken won't be traded if it's labelled)- so there will be no labels. (and once again, the Brexiteers will be shown to be talking through a hole in their hats).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

I'm in Minnesota.  My eyes bulged when I saw $17 on the register.  Better taste good.

Edit: 4.27 lb.

Let us know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

The reason I asked, in case anyone was wondering, is that representatives of the USA have said that accepting chlorinated chicken will be a condition of any trade deal (They may, of course have been wrong).
People who are happy to leave the EU keep saying "It's OK- it will be labelled so, if you don't want it, you don't have to have it."
 

My best guess is that the USA will also insist on exporting its labelling laws to the UK (precisely because the chicken won't be traded if it's labelled)- so there will be no labels. (and once again, the Brexiteers will be shown to be talking through a hole in their hats).

 

 

Indeed, we jump out of the frying pan into the fire (google it, it's not fresh) I just wonder what part the Brexiteers are aiming at- has anyone read the wealth of nations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

The reason I asked, in case anyone was wondering, is that representatives of the USA have said that accepting chlorinated chicken will be a condition of any trade deal (They may, of course have been wrong).
People who are happy to leave the EU keep saying "It's OK- it will be labelled so, if you don't want it, you don't have to have it."
 

My best guess is that the USA will also insist on exporting its labelling laws to the UK (precisely because the chicken won't be traded if it's labelled)- so there will be no labels. (and once again, the Brexiteers will be shown to be talking through a hole in their hats).

That is what disturbs me the most.  Brexiteers appear to think that we're all stupid.

Not sure about sourcing and manufacture, but a perhaps suprising number of traditional UK brands are now owned by US multinationals too. Sales appear unaffected by this...

The logos for Lays and Walkers are the most ironic example of this.

Edited by Endy0816

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

That is what disturbs me the most.  Brexiteers appear to think that we're all stupid.

One issue is that the vote was seemingly broadly fear driven. Fear of others, fear of losing ones national identity, fear of changing demographics (at least these factors were found to be the strongest predictors of pro-brexit vote in studies following the referendum). Any fact and data is screened through this lens and is filtered out when it runs to the contrary. 

One can also look at it from a cost-benefit perspective, where Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration (and often associate it with a means to combat terrorism) as an overriding benefit, where other economic issues take a backseat. Or simply put, there is a belief that if the UK leaves the EU and restricts immigration the economy would somehow be boosted and easily overcome any negative outcomes. 

But if you mean the leadership, they effectively harnessed these fears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CharonY said:

One issue is that the vote was seemingly broadly fear driven. Fear of others, fear of losing ones national identity, fear of changing demographics (at least these factors were found to be the strongest predictors of pro-brexit vote in studies following the referendum). Any fact and data is screened through this lens and is filtered out when it runs to the contrary. 

One can also look at it from a cost-benefit perspective, where Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration (and often associate it with a means to combat terrorism) as an overriding benefit, where other economic issues take a backseat. Or simply put, there is a belief that if the UK leaves the EU and restricts immigration the economy would somehow be boosted and easily overcome any negative outcomes. 

But if you mean the leadership, they effectively harnessed these fears.

A good post and very true though, as a US citizen, I was thinking more literally.

I guess I've just seen too many, "If we don't like it we'll just do X." statements.

Largely I am left thinking, "Really? You don't think others might have considered that possibility ahead of time? Not even once?"

It's just crazy. I am curious to see what this year and the following will bring.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was particularly struck by the posts about losing UK sovereignty.

Here's the UK's  sovereign (before, during and after the UK's membership of the EU).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II

Here's the man who sent his cronies to lie to her
 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

15 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

That is what disturbs me the most.  Brexiteers appear to think that we're all stupid.

The problem's not so much that they think others are stupid, as that they are  stupid themselves, but think  everyone else is wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect.

15 hours ago, CharonY said:

Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration

Yes, they "see" that, but it's clearly illusory.

(and that's before we get to the issue of brexiteers who apparently think that China, India and Africa must be part of the EU, because they think that brexit will affect immigration in a manner that tallies with their racist viewpoint)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Yes, they "see" that, but it's clearly illusory.

Of course, that is why it is such a powerful tool. There is no need for actual facts to back those fears up. As such, there are also only few, if any, effective ways to address it.

It is also a key instrument to right-wing populist power, which is worrisome and which is why identity politics is such a key element in their strategy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And  dishonesty was always a requirement of the political right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.