Theresa May resigns

dimreepr

That must’ve been one big bird. Even organic chickens are less than $10 by me. I’m in the Midwest. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

Reading this made me curious, so I bought a whole chicken.  It's organic and as such cost about twice normal ($17).  It says: "100 % AIR CHILLED, No Retained Water, Including chlorinated water."  I'll look at a cheaper chicken next time.  (I'm in the Midwest US.)

Come to think of it, I may be thinking of roaster chickens which tend to be smaller. 

The reason I asked, in case anyone was wondering, is that representatives of the USA have said that accepting chlorinated chicken will be a condition of any trade deal (They may, of course have been wrong).
People who are happy to leave the EU keep saying "It's OK- it will be labelled so, if you don't want it, you don't have to have it."

My best guess is that the USA will also insist on exporting its labelling laws to the UK (precisely because the chicken won't be traded if it's labelled)- so there will be no labels. (and once again, the Brexiteers will be shown to be talking through a hole in their hats).

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

The reason I asked, in case anyone was wondering, is that representatives of the USA have said that accepting chlorinated chicken will be a condition of any trade deal (They may, of course have been wrong).
People who are happy to leave the EU keep saying "It's OK- it will be labelled so, if you don't want it, you don't have to have it."

My best guess is that the USA will also insist on exporting its labelling laws to the UK (precisely because the chicken won't be traded if it's labelled)- so there will be no labels. (and once again, the Brexiteers will be shown to be talking through a hole in their hats).

Indeed, we jump out of the frying pan into the fire (google it, it's not fresh) I just wonder what part the Brexiteers are aiming at- has anyone read the wealth of nations?

4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

That is what disturbs me the most.  Brexiteers appear to think that we're all stupid.

Not sure about sourcing and manufacture, but a perhaps suprising number of traditional UK brands are now owned by US multinationals too. Sales appear unaffected by this...

The logos for Lays and Walkers are the most ironic example of this.

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

That is what disturbs me the most.  Brexiteers appear to think that we're all stupid.

One issue is that the vote was seemingly broadly fear driven. Fear of others, fear of losing ones national identity, fear of changing demographics (at least these factors were found to be the strongest predictors of pro-brexit vote in studies following the referendum). Any fact and data is screened through this lens and is filtered out when it runs to the contrary. 

One can also look at it from a cost-benefit perspective, where Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration (and often associate it with a means to combat terrorism) as an overriding benefit, where other economic issues take a backseat. Or simply put, there is a belief that if the UK leaves the EU and restricts immigration the economy would somehow be boosted and easily overcome any negative outcomes. 

But if you mean the leadership, they effectively harnessed these fears.

5 hours ago, CharonY said:

One issue is that the vote was seemingly broadly fear driven. Fear of others, fear of losing ones national identity, fear of changing demographics (at least these factors were found to be the strongest predictors of pro-brexit vote in studies following the referendum). Any fact and data is screened through this lens and is filtered out when it runs to the contrary. 

One can also look at it from a cost-benefit perspective, where Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration (and often associate it with a means to combat terrorism) as an overriding benefit, where other economic issues take a backseat. Or simply put, there is a belief that if the UK leaves the EU and restricts immigration the economy would somehow be boosted and easily overcome any negative outcomes. 

But if you mean the leadership, they effectively harnessed these fears.

A good post and very true though, as a US citizen, I was thinking more literally.

I guess I've just seen too many, "If we don't like it we'll just do X." statements.

Largely I am left thinking, "Really? You don't think others might have considered that possibility ahead of time? Not even once?"

It's just crazy. I am curious to see what this year and the following will bring.

I was particularly struck by the posts about losing UK sovereignty.

Here's the UK's  sovereign (before, during and after the UK's membership of the EU).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II

Here's the man who sent his cronies to lie to her

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

15 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

The problem's not so much that they think others are stupid, as that they are  stupid themselves, but think  everyone else is wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect.

15 hours ago, CharonY said:

Brexiteers see a stronger control over immigration

Yes, they "see" that, but it's clearly illusory.

(and that's before we get to the issue of brexiteers who apparently think that China, India and Africa must be part of the EU, because they think that brexit will affect immigration in a manner that tallies with their racist viewpoint)

7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Yes, they "see" that, but it's clearly illusory.

Of course, that is why it is such a powerful tool. There is no need for actual facts to back those fears up. As such, there are also only few, if any, effective ways to address it.

It is also a key instrument to right-wing populist power, which is worrisome and which is why identity politics is such a key element in their strategy.