Theresa May resigns

dimreepr

Looks like 'our' idiot, D Trump, has jumped headfirst into the Brexit controversy.
He expressed an interest in  T May staying on, refusing to meet with opposition, and promising 'sweetheart' trade deals with the UK once they leave the EU.

Like anyone trusts D Trump when it comes to trade deals...

11 minutes ago, MigL said:

Looks like 'our' idiot, D Trump, has jumped headfirst into the Brexit controversy.
He expressed an interest in  T May staying on, refusing to meet with opposition, and promising 'sweetheart' trade deals with the UK once they leave the EU.

Like anyone trusts D Trump when it comes to trade deals...

The Opposition leader was refused a meeting because he spoke against him at a Trump protest rally and, worse still, refused to attend a banquet with the queen in attendance as well.. He deserved it, frankly.

Edited by StringJunky

8 hours ago, MigL said:

promising 'sweetheart' trade deals with the UK once they leave the EU

Which seems to include American interference with our NHS   - He can fuck right off with his chlorinated chickens!

6 hours ago, DrP said:

Which seems to include American interference with our NHS   - He can fuck right off with his chlorinated chickens!

Our culture has been shadowing/copying (doffing our cap to) America for many years, I imagine he will fuck right off in a few years, but the damage is done; Trump may not get his hands on it but America will. 

The pendulum, ATM, is swinging way right and the NHS is/will be seen as nothing more than a target.

Free at the point of need, can easily become free at the point of proof.

prove you're a citizen, then, prove you contributed sufficiently, then, prove you've been loyal, then prove...

And don't think you're immune America... Insurance is not just a comfy word.

Edited by dimreepr

6 hours ago, DrP said:

Please don't think he speaks for all of us.

Honestly food poisoning numbers look pretty comparable, if not slightly better here. Different processes. Visitors come here and none seem all that concerned. Especially if Brexit does happen, the UK would need consider some changes. Only fair.

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

Honestly food poisoning numbers look pretty comparable, if not slightly better here. Different processes. Visitors come here and none seem all that concerned.

We have strict food processing laws for a reason. If we drop the standards just so we can buy your chicken do we then have to start using the bee killing pesticides that are banned here in the UK and the EU too? What other safety laws do you want us to ignore or rewrite so we can give you our money?

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

if Brexit does happen, the UK would need consider some changes

When they were campaigning, the leavers wrote on a bus that we'd be £350M better off per week and that it could go into our NHS system to make improvements. Now they are talking about selling it off to the USA. wtf?  The UK has been going through many changes already over the last 20 years. Many of those changes are for the better (like better work pay and leave, better protection for women in violent marriages etc, cleaner environment, more fish in the sea due to quotas etc...). They have all come from the EU - what changes do you think we would need to make if brexit happens?  We don't want to make any changes that are going to take us back decades thanks. 

4 hours ago, DrP said:

When they were campaigning, the leavers wrote on a bus that we'd be £350M better off per week and that it could go into our NHS system to make improvements. Now they are talking about selling it off to the USA. wtf?

By US standards, too much of your valuable private investment opportunities are owned by the public. To make matters worse, your public programs are focused on the people rather than profit. In the US, it doesn't matter if ownership is public or state, everything bends over painfully for private interests. Prepare to pay more for less!

4 hours ago, DrP said:

We have strict food processing laws for a reason. If we drop the standards just so we can buy your chicken do we then have to start using the bee killing pesticides that are banned here in the UK and the EU too? What other safety laws do you want us to ignore or rewrite so we can give you our money?  

It's just a different process. Rather than hope your supply chain is perfect, you clean before sale to consumers. Logically sound enough.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=173.300

We have our own standards. FDA doesn't mess around either.

We would both like mutually beneficial trade, but part of that would need to be an easing of trade restrictions(in some fashion). That's going to be the US position in a nutshell.

I'm sure you're really just pissed off at the idiots who voted to leave. Personally I do think getting out of the EU to be a phenomenally stupid idea. Your laws and general preferences are much better aligned with the rest of Europe. I can't help you there, but can at least let you know how things may go moving forwards.

7 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Please don't think he speaks for all of us.

Honestly food poisoning numbers look pretty comparable, if not slightly better here. Different processes. Visitors come here and none seem all that concerned. Especially if Brexit does happen, the UK would need consider some changes. Only fair.

If we want chlorine in our chicken we'll add salt. 

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

If we want chlorine in our chicken we'll add salt. 

It's just a rinse, to get rid of pathogens, you don't end up ingesting any. It's like the flip of the Kinder Egg ban.

If we want toys in our food we'll... hmm... doesn't quite work.

It's just a dumb situation all around. Most in the US doesn't care about selling some chicken to the UK. Honestly as long as you guys keep up the tourism I'll be happy. All the countries are going to be asking for some concessions though.

12 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Rather than hope your supply chain is perfect, you clean before sale to consumers.

Or you can have legislation like we have to ensure it is clean anyway before it arrives - no hoping about it.

10 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

All the countries are going to be asking for some concessions though. 

Concessions to what though?  Food safety standards and our NHS - no thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yRHQtMQnk

13 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

It's just a different process. Rather than hope your supply chain is perfect, you clean before sale to consumers. Logically sound enough.

Chlorine doesn't kill the bacteria that cause disease. It just makes them encyst so they are not detected. They are still viable and any toxins they create can still be present.

Also, there should be no need for this. It is mainly a substitute for good animal welfare practices. By packing more chickens into pens you can make more money, but you increase the disease burden which then needs to be treated.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

By packing more chickens into pens you can make more money

I think battery farming is banned in the EU.  We've been talking about banning it in the UK for years now. A quick google search suggest it still goes on in the UK (regardless of EU law). I hope they follow the law and stop this cruel practice. Going along the USA route of making the lives of the hens hell to make a little more profit  doesn't sit right with me and wont with the general public here either. 

1 hour ago, DrP said:

I think battery farming is banned in the EU.  We've been talking about banning it in the UK for years now. A quick google search suggest it still goes on in the UK (regardless of EU law). I hope they follow the law and stop this cruel practice. Going along the USA route of making the lives of the hens hell to make a little more profit  doesn't sit right with me and wont with the general public here either. 

Yet we continue buying cheap eggs and KFC.

Just now, dimreepr said:

Yet we continue buying cheap eggs and KFC.

But the choice is not for the public to make. It is illegal.

From the net:-

"Since 1 January, all laying hens must be kept in "enriched" cages with extra space to nest, scratch and roost. ... The European Union announced the ban on battery hens in 1999"

So you can't blame the consumer  -  we assume that the suppliers are abiding by the law when doing their farming and keeping the hens we eat and feed from in a condition that is suitable for their quality of life.  So - I will keep eating KFC (I love it) and expect them to abide by the law.

20 minutes ago, DrP said:

But the choice is not for the public to make. It is illegal.

From the net:-

"Since 1 January, all laying hens must be kept in "enriched" cages with extra space to nest, scratch and roost. ... The European Union announced the ban on battery hens in 1999"

So you can't blame the consumer  -  we assume that the suppliers are abiding by the law when doing their farming and keeping the hens we eat and feed from in a condition that is suitable for their quality of life.  So - I will keep eating KFC (I love it) and expect them to abide by the law.

I agree with your politics (mostly), I really do, and I don't blame the consumer either; but as our relative wealth is slowly diminished our deaf ear will slowly be pointed at the lies.

12 hours ago, Strange said:

Chlorine doesn't kill the bacteria that cause disease. It just makes them encyst so they are not detected. They are still viable and any toxins they create can still be present.

Also, there should be no need for this. It is mainly a substitute for good animal welfare practices. By packing more chickens into pens you can make more money, but you increase the disease burden which then needs to be treated.

I only saw a paper stating there was an issue in a study of chlorine washed Spinach specifically.

https://mbio.asm.org/content/9/2/e00540-18.full

Another paper mentioned that washing methods for vegetables are generally less effective though. For plants, at least we know people must have been sloppy about cross contamination. More an obvious point of failure there.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016579

Looking into the background on the first paper, apparently using a chlorine wash on veggies still done in the UK and much of the EU.

Is there a reason why production from factory farms is not simply banned outright? Can't help but feel like EU is beating around the bushes here using a defacto ban rather than an actual one. Technically there need be no issue with exporting.

*Note to self: Avoid produce that won't be further prepared, ready to eat foods and anything at all from a deli.

Babies' bottles have been sterilised with dilute hypochlorite for just over 100 years without any problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_sterilizing_fluid

The  hypochlorite isn't the problem.

People cook chicken and  that kills bacteria.

The bacteria,are not the problem

It's the shit.

If you process the carcasses appropriately, you don't get them so badly contaminated that you have to bleach them (rather than just washing them).

Chlorinated chicken is an excuse to literally sell shit to the consumer.

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

I fear we've gotten a little sidetracked.
Chicken shit is far from Theresa May.

Or is it ?

I was about to say the same:

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Chlorinated chicken is an excuse to literally sell shit to the consumer.

But this is right back on topic.

Edited by dimreepr