Poor Agricultural Choices in Drought Regions

Shouldn’t almond sculptures be called aqua sculptures since they’re so water intensive to grow? Inquiring minds want to know.

<=>

<=><=><=>

<=>

BTW, ^thats an almond sculpture.

>:D  

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Shouldn’t almond sculptures be called aqua sculptures since they’re so water intensive to grow? Inquiring minds want to know. 

A controversial opinion, but your logic is sound. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

<=>

<=><=><=>

<=>

BTW, ^thats an almond sculpture.

>:D  

I was expecting far more marzipan from you! Disappointing! 

6 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

I was expecting far more marzipan from you! Disappointing! 

Are you saying my almonds have been chopped?

9 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Hydroponics should be used wherever applicable, to limit water usage..

From a logical standpoint, this makes perfect sense. From a business standpoint, it’s a nonstarter.

The front end capital investment required to convert existing almond plantations would be massive, and few (if any) agribusinesses would be willing / able to shift given the massive scale. I acknowledge that it would reduce operating costs, but time to ROI would be decades.

The idea is solid, but much more practical for limited installations, or perhaps new entrants into the market who aren’t yet established IMO. 

Mostly, I just think it’s a seriously dumb idea to continue growing almonds in California where they remove vast amounts of water from the aquifers, aquifers which also contain the water people need to drink and survive, and all while droughts and wildfires there are getting significantly worse.

Hmm... it seems I’ve “sculpted” far too serious a response in this less than serious sub forum. :lol:

• 8 months later...

peanuts are butter...

peanuts are better sources of the B vitamins, especially folate and niacin. A 1-ounce serving of peanuts contains 10 percent of your RDA of folate and about 24 percent of the RDA of niacin. Almonds only have half the folate and one-fourth the niacin of peanuts

Peanuts, shown here, cost only $803 per acre to grow, compared to the $2,900 per acre it costs to grow almonds. ... In addition to the cost of land, Brinkop explained that once an almond tree is planted, it takes three years for it to produce and four to five years to grow enough almonds to make a profit

also i competely disagree about hydroponics, because (in addition to cost) you need to control the whole system thereafter, which would be completely implausable to scale... (where are the people going to be dumping the spent salts ?).

(the earth prefers poop to salts).

17 hours ago, poo thrower said:

also i competely disagree about hydroponics, because (in addition to cost) you need to control the whole system thereafter, which would be completely implausable to scale... (where are the people going to be dumping the spent salts ?).

Salt cellar, Id imagine... 🙄🙃

On 5/23/2019 at 5:53 AM, iNow said:

Mostly, I just think it’s a seriously dumb idea to continue growing almonds in California where they remove vast amounts of water from the aquifers, aquifers which also contain the water people need to drink and survive, and all while droughts and wildfires there are getting significantly worse.

They should grow apricots. You get the delicious fruit, and in the center of the pit is a kernel that looks just like... an almond! Finally, our nation's mini-chiselers in drought regions can carve their nuts and eat them too! 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

They should grow apricots. You get the delicious fruit, and in the center of the pit is a kernel that looks just like... an almond!

They are poisonous..

"Apricot kernels can cause potentially fatal cyanidepoisoning when consumed. Symptoms include nausea, fever, headaches, insomnia, increased thirst, lethargy, nervousness, various aches and pains in joints and muscles, and a drop in blood pressure."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apricot_kernel

They are eatable only in small amounts.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

They are poisonous..

"Apricot kernels can cause potentially fatal cyanidepoisoning when consumed. Symptoms include nausea, fever, headaches, insomnia, increased thirst, lethargy, nervousness, various aches and pains in joints and muscles, and a drop in blood pressure."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apricot_kernel

They are eatable only in small amounts.

I don't eat clay or marble either, but I use these things (along with almonds) for sculpture. Not everyone can handle the danger involved in cyano-artistic expression, but you shouldn't let your fear keep you from enjoying the most important part, the kernel. Allegedly carved from an apricot kernel:

Chinese carved apricot kernel... JL Collection Avocado Seed, Apricot Kernels, Chinese Antiques, Nature Crafts, Seeds, Natural Jewelry, Carving, Apple, Sculpture 

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

As I’ve taken to occasional whittling in my advancing years, I find this enormously impressive. 

Smaller sculptures are easier on aging hands, but it's hell on the eyes! 

I can easily imagine most of the detail being done with a pin or needle, but the difficult part is removing what you don't want and leaving what you do so you have something to detail. Seeds and nuts are so much softer than wood. 

A new apricot tree requires three to four years before it will produce fruit.

Apricots require between 600 and 900 hours below 45 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter to properly produce blooms and fruit

Apricots need water consistently throughout the growing season. Lack of moisture in early summer will result in small fruits; later in the season, it can interfere with bud set for next year's crop.

12397553265_820041b41a.jpg

C'mon guys. It was meant to be SERIOUS thread about water shortage problem in California and similar regions of the Earth, and how to solve it, and you are derailing it by art and sculptures.... Apparently you own too much and you never have been hungry.... so you can't be serious while replying in such serious thread...

Edited by Sensei

15 minutes ago, Sensei said:

C'mon guys. It was meant to be SERIOUS thread about water shortage problem in California and similar regions of the Earth, and how to solve it, and you are derailing it by art and sculptures.... Apparently you own too much and you never have been hungry.... so you can't be serious while replying in such serious thread...

Serious?! It's in the Sculptures Made of Almonds section of the Lounge. This is the least serious section on the whole site. This is a section for silly, silly.

43 minutes ago, Sensei said:

C'mon guys. It was meant to be SERIOUS thread about water shortage problem in California and similar regions of the Earth, and how to solve it

I'm grateful for your attempt to remain focused on the topic, and I'm happy to discuss it in a serious manner, but Phi is correct. This entire sub-forum was created due to a joking comment I made when someone asked "Why isn't there a forum for [Insert Arcane Unpopular Topic Here]." I replied that the existing categories were more than sufficient, and that if we kept getting more and more granular, soon we'd have a forum dedicated to "Sculptures Made of Amonds." In good fun, I believe it was Hypervalent who went ahead and created it. Then, once it existed, it needed a thread so it wasn't just an orphaned subforum and I created this.

It was never meant to be serious or silly, but I'm happy to let it be both... if you are?

[in california] most of the volume of water used for environmental purposes includes flows down Wild and Scenic Rivers in the North Coast where there is no practical way to recover it for either agricultural or urban use because it lacks many connections to the statewide water supply system

Although the response to desalination has been mixed, some areas of California are moving forward with seawater desalination [...] San Diego Water Authority, is responsible for providing water for about 8% of San Diego County's water by the year 2020.[18] The facility cost $1 billion to build

• 1 year later...

I see how many people are interested in sculptures, can I know some best sculpture makers if any available here since I love them , I need a sculpture of a man throwing flowers it may sounds difficult but I truely wants it.

3 hours ago, susanjoe86 said:

I see how many people are interested in sculptures, can I know some best sculpture makers if any available here since I love them , I need a sculpture of a man throwing flowers it may sounds difficult but I truely wants it.

Hmmm, I have a sculpture made of almonds of a man throwing up flowers, but not everyone "gets it" (*cough* Vegans *cough*). I'm told somebody else did a drawing of a guy throwing flowers normally, with his hand, and apparently people liked that better. Mine makes more sense because, you know, he ate too many flowers and almonds, obviously, and he got sick. 

• 1 month later...

What a silly thread.   Let me completely embrace that spirit....

I've been aware of the almonds-drain-aquifer problem for a while,  but never felt any deep sense of loss when I quit eating them.   I ate them raw (the most nutritive form) and always had the feeling I was only one step removed from gnawing on wood chips.   That first chomp on the nut always sent reverberations through my skull that reminded why they are,  technically, known as stone fruits.   

More importantly, why bother with almonds when you live on a planet that grows pecans, walnuts, and pistachios?   (the first two require no sculpting whatever to resemble little brains...)