Sensors needed for artificial intelligence ?

Externet

35 minutes ago, Externet said:

Hi.

Seems like traffic lights could greatly benefit from artificial intelligence technology AI to save brutal amounts of fuel and time.

What uncommon sensors would be needed for implementing such ?

I think the savings would only be significant if the system was massive, like hundreds of thousands of cars and thousands of traffic lights being tracked in realtime at once. Downtime comes to mind...any downtime whether it's minutes or seconds annually would end up in mayhem. I think.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Externet said:

Hi.

Seems like traffic lights could greatly benefit from artificial intelligence technology AI to save brutal amounts of fuel and time.

What uncommon sensors would be needed for implementing such ?

Hi,

Looks like all sensors required - cameras of any type - already in place. Needs to make massive network and real AI approach though. And expand adding more nodes and real time ML.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, Externet said:

Slightly off-topic: in my city there have been disabled traffic lights in the entire main area (couple km^2) due to reparation works.. Do you know that there is no traffic jam? Cars are moving slowly, passing the all walkers, but flow of cars is pretty contiguous. One car passes through crossroad, later second car from parallel road passes it, one by one etc.. The first my thought was: there is no traffic jam (!) and I (walker) could walk through street at any time not having to wait for green light (cars don't have green and red lights too, don't wait for them to change). They should leave it this way even after the end of reparation works to see whether traffic jams in the center are gone for real this way..

What is overall faster? If driver is hurrying-up 70 km/h to reach "window" of green light and then not meeting it, having to wait 5 minutes on red lights (and burning fuel not moving at all), or continuously moving at 30 km/h?

Edited by Sensei

On 5/30/2019 at 2:07 AM, Sensei said:

Slightly off-topic: in my city there have been disabled traffic lights in the entire main area (couple km^2) due to reparation works.. Do you know that there is no traffic jam? Cars are moving slowly, passing the all walkers, but flow of cars is pretty contiguous. One car passes through crossroad, later second car from parallel road passes it, one by one etc.. The first my thought was: there is no traffic jam (!) and I (walker) could walk through street at any time not having to wait for green light (cars don't have green and red lights too, don't wait for them to change). They should leave it this way even after the end of reparation works to see whether traffic jams in the center are gone for real this way..

What is overall faster? If driver is hurrying-up 70 km/h to reach "window" of green light and then not meeting it, having to wait 5 minutes on red lights (and burning fuel not moving at all), or continuously moving at 30 km/h?

In Netherlands a small city designed with no traffic lights at all and ....... it works !!!