Will Virtual reality replace reality?

4 hours ago, Obsessed With Gaming said:

Hi guys, I am wondering whether if VR will replace real life in the future where people will live in full immersion virtual reality? (Disregarding the basic human needs e.g eating) When is it expected to happen?

Why would it happen?

Personally, I am a huge fan of Back to the Matrix. Morpheus was right when he said: If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain. I guess, the movie was not made yet as the idea is not popular and conditions under which it could become popular are hard to imagine. Let me just say that assuming it's even possible to have the kind of processing power needed to run Matrix and let's also assume energy is abundant taking the red pill, so to say, would be quite eco-friendly ;) 

Edited by tuco

• 2 weeks later...

Virtual Reality Devices are all around us all ready. Your smartphone / PC is just a more primitive form of it than a VR-Headset like the Oculus Rift or the Vive Index is. There already were people who found such great immersion in video games that they played themselves to death. Being awake at gaming marathons for several days at a time and disregarding basic human needs have caused these tragedies.

I personally believe that as time progresses and technology enables us to build increasingly immersive devices, it will become more common for someone to use a device non stop. Especially if it‘s a VR Headset or Augmented Reality Glasses that don‘t require you to put them away for any other task. Humanity as a whole will become more and more dependent on these devices.

With more immersion comes a larger number of people who are willing to spend their lives in a virtual world. Virtual Reality will become increasingly indistinguishable from our „usual“ reality. Following this, why would you have to care if it‘s real or „only“ virtual, especially if the virtual world is far more accessible anyway. You  can do much more in VR already, like flying and teleporting through an environment which is already pretty close to reality in my opinion.

Future humans might not even feel the need to explore the real universe, because it‘s much easier to explore space via a game. (Games like these already exist, like: Star Trek: Bridge Crew, it may not be very complex now, but that won‘t stop developers and AI from making more content). Interestingly enough, this could even explain the fermi paradox.

I have a Oculus Rift myself and can definitely image a future in which virtual reality will „replace“ a larger portion of our reality that many might think.

Edited by ratschkopf

3 minutes ago, ratschkopf said:

Virtual Reality Devices are all around us all ready. Your smartphone / PC is just a more primitive form of it than a VR-Headset like the Oculus Rift or the Vive Index is. There already were people who found such great immersion in video games that they played themselves to death. Being awake at gaming marathons for several days at a time and disregarding basic human needs have caused these tragedies.

I personally believe that as time progresses and technology enables us to build increasingly immersive devices, it will become more common for someone to use a device non stop. Especially if it‘s a VR Headset or Augmented Reality Glasses that don‘t require you to put them away for any other task. Humanity as a whole will become more and more dependent on these devices.

With more immersion comes a larger number of people who are willing to spend their lives in a virtual world. Virtual Reality will become increasingly indistinguishable from our „usual“ reality. Following this, why would you have to care if it‘s real or „only“ virtual, especially if the virtual world is far more accessible anyway. You  can do much more in VR already, like flying and teleporting through an environment which is already pretty close to reality in my opinion.

Future humans might not even feel the need to explore the real universe, because it‘s much easier to explore space via space game. (Games like these already exist, like: Star Trek: Bridge Crew, it may not be very complex now, but that won‘t stop developers and AI from making more content). Interestingly enough, this could even explain the fermi paradox.

I have a Oculus Rift myself and can definitely image a future in which virtual reality will „replace“ a larger portion of our reality that many might think.

Luckily reality is real, virtually everywhere.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:56 PM, tuco said:

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

No. Something real does exist independently of someone's consciousness. We do not always can perceive something real with our senses. Virtual reality on other hand exist inside of some simulation systems which could be natural (like human brains) or artificial (like computers). If all people will die and computers get destructed there will be no more virtual reality, but true reality (the matter at least) will continue to exist. So, philosophically there is obvious difference between there two types of realities.

17 minutes ago, Moreno said:

Something real does exist independently of someone's consciousness.

How do you know that? The only information you have is from your brain. So you can't have any direct knowledge of that "independent reality" and so you can'y know it exists; you just know that your brain tells you it exists. (Never mind the problems with what "know" means, how you know you have a brain to tell you these things, how you know "you" are you, etc. Descartes made it sounds so easy...)

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

How do you know that? The only information you have is from your brain. So you can't have any direct knowledge of that "independent reality" and so you can'y know it exists; you just know that your brain tells you it exists. (Never mind the problems with what "know" means, how you know you have a brain to tell you these things, how you know "you" are you, etc. Descartes made it sounds so easy...)

Denying all the objective reality beyond our own consciousness is the "subjective idealism" which became a marginal direction in philosophy nowadays. From this we may conclude that matter exist independent of our concousness. 

2 minutes ago, Moreno said:

Denying all the objective reality beyond our own consciousness is the "subjective idealism" which became a marginal direction in philosophy nowadays. From this we may conclude that matter exist independent of our concousness. 

Why does it matter?

46 minutes ago, Moreno said:

So things that go out of fashion in philosophy are false?

Until they come into fashion again, then they become true again?

That doesn't sound very logical.

Or, perhaps you mean, some philosophers are wrong therefore the ,material world exists?

That is worse, it is a tautology.

(But I am not claiming that the material world does not exist, just that you have no way of knowing that. It is pure, unsubstantiated belief.)

OP: virtual reality has 99% replaced RL. Sit in any Mcdonald's or walk along any street and tell me how many are not immersed in the VR of their phones. How many are living in the organic vs electronic here and now?

Edited by StringJunky

12 hours ago, StringJunky said:

OP: virtual reality has 99% replaced RL.

That's not VR..

12 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Sit in any Mcdonald's or walk along any street and tell me how many are not immersed in the VR of their phones. How many are living in the organic vs electronic here and now? 

..when you see people stareing at their smartphone screens, you 90%+ of time see people talking (writing messages) through Messenger or FB with other people ("friends").. They are in the middle of conversation.. Like we are right NOW, simply using different app to do the same (discussion, exchange of views)..

Another subject is about what they are really discussing with their friends. Whether it's something important, or silly, meaningless..

Edited by Sensei

5 hours ago, Sensei said:

That's not VR..

..when you see people stareing at their smartphone screens, you 90%+ of time see people talking (writing messages) through Messenger or FB with other people ("friends").. They are in the middle of conversation.. Like we are right NOW, simply using different app to do the same (discussion, exchange of views)..

Another subject is about what they are really discussing with their friends. Whether it's something important, or silly, meaningless..

Joke, mate. I should have put a smiley in.