Inaction and Closure:

OK, Just woke up gone to the bathroom for the usual, make myself a cup of coffee, open up the computer to find out that I forgot to log out from the forum last night. ;) This isn't the first time either. Is there any way after say an hour or so of inaction by a member online, that he or she is then automatically logged out? Nothing critical of course can develop from that but it is annoying at least from my perspective. 

Just a suggestion.

When you log in, there is a "Remember me" checkbox. I think that if you don't tick that then you are logged out when the browser is closed. Doesn't help if you don't close the browser, though!

Any particular reason you log out at night? I rarely log out deliberately.

23 minutes ago, Strange said:

When you log in, there is a "Remember me" checkbox. I think that if you don't tick that then you are logged out when the browser is closed. Doesn't help if you don't close the browser, though!

Any particular reason you log out at night? I rarely log out deliberately.

16 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Set your browser to clear cookies on exit. You'll have to log in every time

Thank you Gentlemen, I'll take action accordingly. 

No reason Strange, just me. :)

18 hours ago, beecee said:

OK, Just woke up gone to the bathroom for the usual, make myself a cup of coffee, open up the computer to find out that I forgot to log out from the forum last night. ;) This isn't the first time either.

It's not like leaving your headlight on, or the refrigerator door open. I think the worst that could happen is your digital wellbeing scores will tell you you think about science too much. Like that could ever happen.

4 hours ago, Phi for All said:

It's not like leaving your headlight on, or the refrigerator door open. I think the worst that could happen is your digital wellbeing scores will tell you you think about science too much. Like that could ever happen.

Well put!:D

On 5/14/2019 at 10:05 PM, Strange said:

When you log in, there is a "Remember me" checkbox.

Yeah. And I once lost a posting, because I did not tick that checkbox. I was writing a posting, was interrupted, and only after more than an hour I wrote further. But when I pressed 'Submit Reply' I got the message 'You are not logged on' or something like that. If I remember correctly, when I I logged in again, my later additions were gone... Maybe it was even everything.

So I think this would be the best way: use 'Remember me'', and have your browser delete all cookies when you close it. So the combination of Strange's advice, and that of Stringjunkie, is the ideal combination.

It has one additional advantage: by having to type in your password once a day, you will remember it in the end. (OK, beecee logs in at least 10 times a day, don't you? :P). Real cases I encountered at other fora: users whose email address (with which they opened their forum account) was infiltrated, and they had to open a new one. Then, a few months later, their computer broke, and they got a new one. So they have to login again, but because they always had 'Remember me' activated, they forgot their password, and their password could not be retrieved anymore, because you need your email address for it. So they had to open a new account.