Unified Theory?

Bez

1 hour ago, Bez said:

Do we know I'm wrong until we quantify the equation?

If the equation can be quantified, then do it already. Why are you tap-dancing around? 

(But the answer is yes, we know you're wrong)

You might think that not having a formal training is an advantage, but the thing is, formal training in science typically results in an excellent BS detector. Though to be sure, the gain does not have to be very high in this case.

2 hours ago, Bez said:

Friction caused by rubbing a balloon on your hair creates static electricity and then turns it into a magnet or sorts (same principle).

Rubbing rips off electrons from some materials. After ripping off, one object has more electrons, and second object has more protons.

2 hours ago, Bez said:

1. Why some planets do not have a magnetic field

They don't have magnetic field, because they don't have liquid metal in the core which moves. They could have enough e.g. Iron, but due to size and time, they cooled down to temperature in which Iron is no longer in liquid state.

Moving liquid metal creates magnetic field and reacts to external magnetic field. Which can be observed using e.g. liquid Mercury, liquid Sodium, liquid alloys like NaK etc.

Edited by Sensei

26 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Rubbing rips off electrons from some materials. After ripping off, one object has more electrons, and second object has more protons.

Saved me the bother of another disregarded reply. +1

Instead I will vote to draw the veil on this thread please, moderators.

Edited by studiot

Last Post

Well, I had a short text session with my Nephew and afraid I didn't fair much better with him (he was busy and preoccupied and gave me a few irrelevant links).

I admitted I have all the signs of a crackpot in an earlier post.

Observation is the foundation of Science. I have tried to post what I see (for better or worse). 

I understand why no one would take me seriously as I don't know the terminology and have no formal training in this field (why would anyone give me the time of day?). Really, I understand and I'm OK with it! Would you ask a country bumpkin for stock market advice? A Unified theory?

My interest in Physics stems from a lifetime of metaphysical experiences (oh oh here we go). I first stood beside myself while sleeping in bed at age 7. I could fill a book of experiences and no one would believe me. I have wondered once if I was delusional. I had delusions of grandeur (due to all the experiences). Then I ran from myself most of my life. Now I have come to terms with myself and promise I am perfectly lucid.

Now I realize no matter how great of experiences I have if I am honest with myself and recognize my shortcomings and seems those things I want to do (I do not do) and those things I don't want to do (I do). So thereby comes humility with recognition of my shortcomings.

Plato in the, "Republic", states this world is a description we take for granted as being it whereas there is much much more beyond all this and the very words we learn to speak as a baby take us away from ourselves and awareness.

Being a Zen master I can relate to this.

Also, what you perceive with your eyes is but a very very small part of all that there is. Even the Universal universes is but a small part. You cannot imagine how big things really are!

Since I have been shutting off my internal dialogue since I was 16 (and am 59 now) it happens naturally (has been for over 40 years) so my mind works mostly in pictures. What I have tried to do is post what I see.

Doesn't make it true or correct and surely would have to be tested but if even one person can see something in this stuff I posted and run with it and others can benefit then this was worth it.

Thank you for your time and opportunity to post here. 

Bez 

1 hour ago, Bez said:

I understand why no one would take me seriously as I don't know the terminology and have no formal training in this field (why would anyone give me the time of day?). Really, I understand and I'm OK with it! Would you ask a country bumpkin for stock market advice? A Unified theory?

It's like you just ignore the real reasons why people have a problem with the equations and ideas you posted here. Yet you keep saying it is just because you no formal training or use the wrong terminology. If that makes you feel better, you do you, but it just seems so not useful for you. Why not pop the bubble you are living in, use your 160 IQ and go learn some basic physics, in what way would this hurt you? It will only make you more knowledgeable and probably gives you a lot clearer ideas...

-Dagl

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Observation is the foundation of Science. I have tried to post what I see (for better or worse). 

Scientific observation is not just "what I see" (especially as what you "see" seems to mean stuff you have imagined).

Scientific observation means rigorous and objective data collection; in the case of a subject like physics this must include accurate measurement.

3 hours ago, Bez said:

I understand why no one would take me seriously as I don't know the terminology and have no formal training in this field

That is NOT the reason your ideas are not taken seriously. I am surprised you fail to understand the explanations you have been given, as you have such a high IQ.

3 hours ago, Bez said:

My interest in Physics stems from a lifetime of metaphysical experiences (oh oh here we go). I first stood beside myself while sleeping in bed at age 7. I could fill a book of experiences and no one would believe me. I have wondered once if I was delusional. I had delusions of grandeur (due to all the experiences). Then I ran from myself most of my life. Now I have come to terms with myself and promise I am perfectly lucid.

That has nothing to do with physics, so it is hard to see why it would generate an interest in physics. Maybe you should have developed an interest in psychology or neurology, instead.

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Since I have been shutting off my internal dialogue since I was 16 (and am 59 now) it happens naturally (has been for over 40 years) so my mind works mostly in pictures. What I have tried to do is post what I see.

Stuff you see in your mind has nothing to do with science.

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Doesn't make it true or correct and surely would have to be tested but if even one person can see something in this stuff I posted and run with it and others can benefit then this was worth it.

Until you can come up with something testable (which would imply something much more rational than you have posted so far) then there is nothing to test or run with.

Thousands of people post on science forums saying "I have this vague idea, I just need someone to fill out the details". But if the idea makes no sense, why is anyone going to consider it.

8 hours ago, Bez said:

Well, I had a short text session with my Nephew and afraid I didn't fair much better with him (he was busy and preoccupied and gave me a few irrelevant links).

Irrelevant? I'm betting the links had information you needed, and he knew it. And you know he knows it, because you reached out to him, held him up as an authority because he's a working professional. Other working professionals have been trying to get you to see that you need some formal learning, and that your intuitive, untrained perspective is NOT the benefit you think it is.

9 hours ago, Bez said:

STOP!!! You're seriously misinterpreting what's been said in this thread. You're trying to paint us like we're looking down our noses at you for your ignorance in physics. One of the rules here at SFN is that we don't attack people, we attack ideas. Run them through the gauntlet of experience and knowledge the membership possesses, and try to poke holes in the idea to show it's false. If we can't do that, we acknowledge that. 

You've been given very specific reasons why specific things you said were wrong based on mainstream science. Everyone here would love to see you apply yourself to study. They've mentioned it several times, but only after they showed you where your claims were wrong. At no time did anyone dismiss you for your lack of physics knowledge. They simply corrected you where you were wrong, assuming that's why you came to a science discussion forum.

If you don't want to stay here, I understand. But please don't leave because you think everyone here is treating you like a "bumpkin". It has NOTHING to do with YOU, and everything to do with your ideas. That's what we're tying to help with.

You made it to 59 yrs of age with this stubborn attitude against learning ??
Not advanced science, mind you, but simple basics ( like the concept of quantifiable units ).

I'm surprised you made it past puberty.

Bez... I am not responding here because I can relate to your selected topic, but I am here because I can relate to how you are feeling. I live on the North Yorkshire moors in England. I keep a few chickens to supply eggs for breakfast, and have a stockpile of wood next to my house. So I am in fact the real McCoy (bumpkin). This is a "real" science site, I am a non-academic yet I joined because similarly to you I believed I had a hypothesis based on observation. I shall not go into details of this, but the point is that sometimes these Ideas that we hold in our minds for sometimes many years (as noted), without any kind of conduits in life to express them, can be detrimental to your cause in circumstances like the one you find yourself in here. You are hesitant in your decision to post your topic in the first place, and then you get that OH! feeling because somebody has bothered to respond to you... am I correct ?. The problem then is that you cannot wait to get this stuff out of your head and onto the screen. I have been in this situation before, and for the most part knew what to expect. But I too did not get my idea across because it did not meet the requirements of the discussion subject matter.  You believe you have gained interest, and therefore do not take the pressure off for fear of loosing attention. And inevitably due to to much concentration in long periods, slight sleep deprivation due to the days correspondents still on your mind when you retire to bed. And your normal daily duties becoming second to focusing on your posted topic.. am I still right so far ?.

As I said, I do not understand many of aspects of what you have posted here, but up to the point you decided to terminate your posts ( I emphasis "up to the point" !!), I see no comments related to character status or any kind of belittlement on the part of these guys here. Because of the symptoms I have referred to above, you start to read into things the wrong way, and take responses at face value instead of giving yourself chance to fully absorb their meaning.  I you get a response that in your opinion has caused you annoyance, you should walk your dog in the park for an hour if you have one (park I mean !), and then start again with a fresh outlook... trust me it does make a difference.

Unfortunately I did not practice what I am preaching here. I was slow to get to the point of my topic which in text would give the impression of being "Obtuse"  I did select a better example of my topic to demonstrate, over a less impressive example which implies "cherry-picking", and a suggestion of posting "anecdotal" information, which on reflection would be a determination based on the combination of my miss interpretation of the questions, and a miss understanding of the topic. Another problem similar to your self was problems with scientific terminology, I felt like I was being picked on at every step, and labelled with these names but in fact I was being "corrected" and the terms used reflected the situation and not a character reference... and this is what they do here, facts, statistics and corrections. I did not see this at the time, but I do now. They have all different categories here, and they also have a lounge area. But I have to admit I did reach points that I wanted to ask for directions to the bullring !.

Reading back through my own responses, I have concluded  that I was rude to the attending moderator, too quick to respond to fellow members assumptions, and border line disrespectful or prejudicial towards another scientific doctoring. I did not get what I came for, but I did take away more than expected i.e. experience, advice and don't argue with the boss (late apologies here !). If you truly feel you need to put something across, make your point and let them analyse what you have, and if you don't get the result you wanted, look for other avenues. It is always best to finish on mutual terms , than throw in the towel. Otherwise how many more years to you want to continue with this idea in your head, feeling hopeless because nobody will listen ?.

I have it on good authority from observing smoke signals from my neighbour across the valley, that hearsay bars  will increase 5 cents on the dollar tomorrow, so I had better check my investments... that's a joke by the way, something else that can be interpreted the wrong way, if not directed otherwise. 

Good luck

E B

6 minutes ago, Eddie B said:

Bez... I am not responding here because I can relate to your selected topic, but I am here because I can relate to how you are feeling.

You make some interesting points.

We have discussed (in this thread and many others) the importance of having at least a basic understanding of the subject one is attempting to criticise or contribute to.

However, I think you have highlighted another equally important problem that can arise from lacking a formal education: the inability to clearly express your ideas in a way that can be understood by others. And, related to this, being able to give clear answers to straightforward questions.

I think it was clear from your thread that you found it hard to clearly explain your idea. You tried to say that this was because of lacking "scientific terminology" but I get the impression that you don't actually have a completely clear idea in your own head. You have been mulling it over for years, but you have never (or rarely) tried to distill it down to a simple, well-organised description. That resulted in your description being slightly "stream of consciousness" - throwing in new bits as they came to you. Similarly, when answering questions you would drag in extra stuff that was in your head, rather than focussing on the question asked.

This is not intended to be any sort of criticism, by the way. Just an attempt to understand (and maybe help you understand) why some people struggle with getting their ideas across.

If you want to improve your ability to express your idea in a clear and structured way (and this applies equally to Bez(*) and anyone else struggling with this) then a good place to start might be to look at some online essay writing courses. (I can't recommend any, but the UK's Open University used to have some good books on the topic.)

(*) Not that I am sure Bez is actually interested in learning anything new, not anything that requires disciplined thought anyway. :-) 

!

Moderator Note

This is off-topic, but I think it is interesting. I was going to move it to another section of the forum, but I'm not sure where it belongs. I will let another mod decide

1 hour ago, Strange said:

(*) Not that I am sure Bez is actually interested in learning anything new, not anything that requires disciplined thought anyway. :-) 

!

Moderator Note

This is off-topic, but I think it is interesting. I was going to move it to another section of the forum, but I'm not sure where it belongs. I will let another mod decide

In that case what I am now posting is also off topic, but it does reflect another side of how we approach mainstream science with thoughts, ideas, conjecture, and hypothesis that most people with any passing interest in astronomy/cosmology probably has every day of the week.

I'm nothing more then a retired Maintenance Fitter/machinist/welder that has always been interested in space and cosmology from a very early age. But in my day, my old man got me an apprenticeship  and I possibly missed something I dearly love in the astronomy sciences as a career.

I did though keep roughly abreast of new findings and such in cosmology and such and started doing some reputable reading from reputable mainstream science books. Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" was probably the first which though read at a middle mature age, sparked my interests again and subsequently I started reading many more reputable books such as Gravity's Fatal Attraction, Black Holes and Time Warps, The First Three Minutes, and some not so reputable books such as The Big Bang Never Happened, and The Bermuda Triangle. This coupled with taking part in science forums such as this, helped me gain what limited knowledge I now have. I also had ideas re Singularities, White Holes, etc and what I believed to be reasonable assumptions and extensions on what mainstream science presented. Having had learnt the basics though re what the scientific method entails, and how science is always progressing and changing as data is forthcoming, I did not attempt to push any of my ideas as "theory" or "gospel" but sat back and listened to those that did appear to be educated and professional in that discipline, and the more I did learn, the more it dawned on me that my ideas were just speculative scenarios without any observational evidence and without any mathematical data to support them.

Like I told Bez early on, its admirable to "think for one's self" but just as Imagination goes hand in hand with knowledge, so to does listening go hand in hand with thinking for one's self, and being humble enough to know one's limitations.

13 hours ago, beecee said:

Like I told Bez early on, its admirable to "think for one's self" but just as Imagination goes hand in hand with knowledge, so to does listening go hand in hand with thinking for one's self, and being humble enough to know one's limitations.

I'm always reminded of those who live in somewhat dangerous environments, where taking the wrong turn or trusting the wrong currents can be harmful or even fatal, and how those folks learn early to ask those who've gone before for advice on the best ways to survive the challenges. People who don't study science before trying to make sense of science are like the fools who would cross the mountains without first asking where the best paths are. Successful pioneers still need to know a great deal about pioneering before they go exploring. 

This is a good point,  but would not the ultimate decision to attempt to follow these paths (routes) into the mountains, be based on the individual, or individuals circumstances as to why they would want to attempt this ?. It is true that it would be foolish to attempt such a challenge, if one had not attempted it before... in which case, as you have mentioned you would need  guidance from those who had negotiated these routes before . In Bez's case,  he has had a belief since childhood that what he seeks in way of an answer, can be found in these mountains. It was not his subject matter that got my attention, it was how he was putting it down in words. He portrayed passion in his belief, and I got the impression there were hints of "dear diary" in there too. However, the subject matter was for the sake of using a better word, was a little "Out There", which should be acceptable to use here if we are to refer to "bumpkins" in the same context. Considering the time period in question (59), he would have had ample time to become  a proficient guide himself, or at least do what was required as a hobby to learn the basics. But he has not made that choice, and decided to come to base camp to ask for the assistance of a guide here.  However, neither he nor the guide, speak the same language, which would invoke miss interpretations from both parties, and therefore his journey could not proceed further. So now his only options would be to attempt to follow the "unfamiliar" routes himself, or pack his bags and go home !. People with such strong beliefs have trouble accepting or dealing with rejection,  especially from text on a screen from strangers. He has gone now, but did he pack his bags and go home... or is he going to do something "foolish" and attempt to follow the wrong route through the mountains alone ?.

I my case, I have been studying these mountains for years (astronomy), I know how they formed, what they are made of, and their positional coordinates. But I have never had ambition to traverse the routes myself because there has not been any reason too. However, during my studies,  serendipitous calculations reveal  that due to erosion, earthquakes and continental drift over millions of years. A yet undiscovered route through the mountain range may exist.  And if the calculation is proved to be correct, could reduce the mountain crossing by half, and improve the quality of "life" for the local inhabitants, by cutting trade route times for example. But just like Bez's case, I needed a guide to help me negotiate the terrain, but unlike Baz, I am aware of the dangerous environment I wish to enter. At the last base camp where I was seeking help, I showed them a map of my calculations which led to the possibility of an undiscovered route (Blurted)... they rejected the map data, and I had to leave after 2 posts ! 

At this base camp, I too had language problems (scientific terminology) with the guide. But from experience gained at the last camp, I elected not to Blurt, and instead show "pictures" of the individual mountains I wished to be taken too, in hopes this form of communication would be acceptable. I made it to the point of "just over the next ridge", when suddenly I could go no further !!. 

So I am still here at base camp and my options are : spend a couple of years learning the language of the guide, or "find another avenue" to achieve the same objective. A younger man would benefit from learning the language, because he could make a career out of looking for new routes.  But as an older man, with different plans for the future I have no ambitions to become a guide, only a need to know if the route exists that the calculations suggest.

A hillbilly with imagination might be a dangerous combination,  but non of this is intended to be "critical" of your advice. But if the mountain guides are learning these routes from those that have traversed them before. And they in turn learn again from those before,  it becomes institutionalised that only guides know the routes through the mountains. When I go to my doctor with an illness, I am not expected to know the basics of anatomy before he will treat my condition. So people like myself and Baz, with strange ideas or beliefs, and of unqualified status naturally assume that we should approach the profession that our strange ideas or belief relates too... which in this case is science. Telling my doctor that he is wrong about my diagnosis, I would expect him to call me a "fool" because I was not qualified to do so. Suggesting to my doctor that I have researched online for possible symptoms related to cause A or cause B, and to ask his opinion of my diagnosis. Would this be regarded as a foolish request, or accepted by the doctor as wrong diagnosis, but I had at least made an effort to try to understand the process !.

Thank you

E B