Is science everything or is there more to life than science?

There was a debate about this and the contender won 18 points in arguing that science is not everything in life.

https://www.debate.org/debates/science-is-everything/1/

So I ask scienceforums, is science everything or are there aspects to life which aren't science?

Edited by seriously disabled

27 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

Why are you guys so hostile? I merely asked a question.

Hostile? swansont stated the obvious, emphasizing it with an "of course". If you see that as "hostile", then I think you were looking purposely for hostility and forced it into the discussion all on your own. Almost as if you wanted to be ganged up on.

It's a really DUMB debate topic, disproven with a single instance of non-science. Is "Duh" a hostile response?

14 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

Still you guys shouldn't be so hostile.

"Is life really a box of chocolates?" Debate.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Hostile? swansont stated the obvious, emphasizing it with an "of course". If you see that as "hostile", then I think you were looking purposely for hostility and forced it into the discussion all on your own. Almost as if you wanted to be ganged up on.

It's a really DUMB debate topic, disproven with a single instance of non-science. Is "Duh" a hostile response?

"Is life really a box of chocolates?" Debate.

I thought it was cherries... a bowl of.

2 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

There was a debate about this and the contender won 18 points in arguing that science is not everything in life.

https://www.debate.org/debates/science-is-everything/1/

So I ask scienceforums, is science everything or are there aspects to life which aren't science?

While certainly science isn't everything in life, [what is?] there isn't too much in life that science has not contributed to, and which we unconciously invoke every day.

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I thought it was cherries... a bowl of.

4 hours ago, MigL said:

Mmmmm..

Chocolate coated cherries...

Life is a box with a bowl full of chocolate coated cherries in it. You can leave them hidden in the box, or you can bring the bowl out and share them.

Or you can count them and weigh them and sort them by size and test whether the bigger ones taste better, and share the results with your peers.

16 hours ago, swansont said:

There the social sciences and humanities. Art. Music. Crafts. Stamp collecting. Of course science isn't all there is to life.

I disagree.

In my opinion art and music can be explained by science.

I think there may come a day, say a million years from now where the natural sciences will completely explain away the social sciences and humanities as being a subset of the natural sciences like physics, chemistry, biology, neuroscience and genetics.

17 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

Response of @swansont was not hostile in any word he said.... I would just remove this "Stamp collecting" remembering your past posts.. but it requires knowing and remembering your state of mind.. knowing that you're at serious depression.. members of this forum don't have to remember who you are, and in what mood you are, writing message.. and most don't..

16 hours ago, Phi for All said:

He is at serious depression..

...in such state, his brain is interpreting pretty harmless for normal people responses as hostile..

..in such state, jokes about him, or sarcasms, his brain would interpret as extremely hostile..

and so on, so on..

3 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

I disagree.

In my opinion art and music can be explained by science.

There are elements of them that can be explained by science. But they are not science.

19 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

Since I was the only one who had responded at this point, I guess "you guys" means me.

Yes, you asked a question. The answer was "no, science is not everything." You can't characterize disagreement as hostility. Hostility is directed at people, while agreement or disagreement is about the subject matter.  

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

..in such state, jokes about him, or sarcasms, his brain would interpret as extremely hostile..

And that's why we try to attack ideas instead. When did anyone make jokes about this person?

Online discussions can't address the kinds of nuances you're talking about. We're here to discuss science, and it's assumed that people who want to participate are interested in the subject, not in airing their personal problems while talking about the subject. We can help depression by engaging with the learning process, and showing people that they have viable knowledge, but we can't clinically approach any type of medical problem with our limited experience and lack of personal physical interaction. That's what professionals are for.

Imo, letting people know there is a big distinction between themselves and their ideas is critical when analyzing science topics. Dumb ideas exist, but not dumb people, and drawing that line should help a person who is depressed about themselves. Most ideas are wrong, and your mental state should have little to do with that. Amazingly, we can have ideas that don't change us at the physical level, they can just be ideas, right or wrong.

seriously disabled has chosen to label himself, but do we have to talk about that label in every topic he's involved in? It doesn't matter that he started this thread. If it was anyone else, I'd still tell them it's a strawman debate question. I've never even heard of anyone making the statement, "Science is EVERYTHING!". It's actually pretty ludicrous, and mildly insulting. Frustrating, certainly, and maybe that's where he senses hostility.