Bonobos and the social hierarchy

I was listening recently to a podcast about bonobos and chimps and how bonobos are much more peaceful and it got me wondering:

1) if there is no violence, how is the status of an alpha male established

The guy didn't say that there was absolutely no violence, that's my assumption, so perhaps I'm wrong there and I'm sure that status can be established through games and not direct violence in other species as well, so is it something like that? Does anyone know specifically?

2) How is the status of an alpha male reflected?

What exactly distinguishes the alpha male among bonobos from betas?

Just now, Alfred001 said:

) if there is no violence, how is the status of an alpha male established

Just now, Alfred001 said:

more peaceful

I guess that 'more peaceful' doesn't equate to 'no violence' as you yourself postulated.

1 minute ago, Alfred001 said:

The guy didn't say that there was absolutely no violence

I think Bonobos greet each other with sex like we do a handshake.  Friends, sisters, mothers, daughters etc...  they all put out to each other and live more peaceful lives.

I don't know if this helps or not - I don't have time to read it right now:

http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/factsheets/entry/bonobo/behav

On 5/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, swansont said:

No such thing as an alpha male in bonobo society, apparently

"Bonobos are female dominant, with females forming tight bonds against males through same-sex socio-sexual contact that is thought to limit aggression."

https://www.eva.mpg.de/3chimps/files/apes.htm

The guy on the podcast said that there is always an alpha in bonobo societies and that sometimes it's a female and sometimes it's a male, but that, interestingly, any who is an alpha has a living mother and when his mother dies he can no longer be an alpha. (I wonder what that dynamic is about)

But regardless, whether it's a female or a male, does anyone know how the alpha is determined? How is the status established?