What’s the Best Type of Reusable Water Bottle?

MichelleAna

For sports, for survival, for desert conditions, rock climbing for hamsters, for cyclists, for walking around town?  You can get different ones for different purposes.

23 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Is there a water bottle that prevents such an incursion?

Because that would be the best...

Not if it weighed 100lb and is used as water bottle for long distance runners. It depends on the specified use of the bottle.

To me, a reusable water bottle is different than a sports bottle. I would look for double-walled stainless steel, with a wide-mouthed top for adding ice/fruit/veg and a smaller screw-top for drinking. The screw-top should be attached so you can't lose it. Size should be a compromise between filled weight and having to refill it often (too big and it's heavy, too small and you're constantly going back to the tap). It has to be easy to carry around the office or home as a reminder to stay hydrated, and it has to be accessible to keep you from grabbing a packaged water or using a glass you'll have to wash.

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Oh bugger, then what is? 

For what particular use? You get different types for different purposes. Without knowing what you want it for 'the best' one can't be prescribed.

1 minute ago, DrP said:

For what particular use? You get different types for different purposes. Without knowing what you want it for 'the best' one can't be prescribed.

Seems to me the best one is the one that stops one from dying.

Just now, dimreepr said:

What do you need?

Both - but just because it works doesn't make it 'the best'. Only OP can tell us what the needs are for his water bottle.

25 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

To me, a reusable water bottle is different than a sports bottle. I would look for double-walled stainless steel, with a wide-mouthed top for adding ice/fruit/veg and a smaller screw-top for drinking. The screw-top should be attached so you can't lose it. Size should be a compromise between filled weight and having to refill it often (too big and it's heavy, too small and you're constantly going back to the tap). It has to be easy to carry around the office or home as a reminder to stay hydrated, and it has to be accessible to keep you from grabbing a packaged water or using a glass you'll have to wash.

Finally the answer MichelleAna was looking for! :) I would add that looking at the user comments on Amazon will lead her to a specific brand and model that will meet her needs.

Asking a simple question on a science site can lead you on a wondrous journey! :D

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I can guess... :rolleyes:

you can 'guess' indeed - but without further feedback there is no way of knowing.

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Finally the answer MichelleAna was looking for!

I think that only MichelleAna can tell us that for sure.  Although I think you might be correct in thinking that Phi has guessed right... it is still speculation until the OP clears up what their needs are. She might want a hot water bottle (they are reusable)...  I feel Phi probably has it, but it isn't clear and it is impossible to know without clarification.

4 minutes ago, DrP said:

I think that only MichelleAna can tell us that for sure. 

You are of course right. I just enjoy watching a non-science type ask a question about a water bottle (or whatever) and get science site kind of response. The questioner has no idea what they are getting into and the responder can't adjust their analytic mode to the probable context of the question. That may not be the case here, but that's how it looks to me.

37 minutes ago, zapatos said:

looking at the user comments on Amazon will lead her to a specific brand and model that will meet her needs.

Watch out for fake comments. It’s quite an industry, and quite a problem that amazon is still struggling to address. 

I have the feeling that the OP, or some other new account, is going to tell us exactly what the best re-usable water bottle is and link us to the web page sooner or later.

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Is there a water bottle that prevents such an incursion?

Because that would be the best...

Realistically, it would be a bottle that can be cleaned and sterilized properly. In that regard, plastics are usually not that great. Another aspect is how you get the water out. Pouring it out (e.g. in a washable cup) is probably the best. Complex openings which are difficult to clean (e.g. squeeze bottles) and you cover it with saliva during use (as well as drip infuse your bottle with it) will most likely have a higher bacterial load.