Biocentrism Questions

Isaac Hunter

So, I just finished reading Biocentrism and I have a few questions.

1. If this theory is correct, how does it explain for unexpected interactions from other consciousnesses (example: someone steals money from me, someone murder's my wife, I look for the tv remote but my kid hid it, etc)? If I'm manifesting the entire external world, do I not manifest the other consciousnesses, too? So, in that sense, am I not the only actual consciousness in my existence (from my perspective) and, thus, God?

2. If the external world exists only within my consciousness, why can I not alter that external world with my mind? Why am I bound by the natural laws? If it is all created within my mind, I should be able to walk through walls and fly. What mechanism controls the limitations (even against my will)? Are there external limitations based on the nature of particle waves or are the limitations driven from within by my subconscious belief in them (hence, I don't want to be able to fly, I just don't know I don't want to)?

3. How can similarities be explained between consciousnesses? We all see the sky looks blue. We all wake up and breathe air, form governments, have children, enjoy a movie, etc. If I'm creating the external world from my consciousness, how is it that there are not a multitude of varied external worlds crashing into each other, projected from each consciousness? 

Isaac

46 minutes ago, Isaac Hunter said:

So, I just finished reading Biocentrism and I have a few questions.

!

Moderator Note

You probably need to explain what Biocentrism is before asking these questions. 

From your questions, it sounds like a version of solipsism. It also doesn't sound like it belongs under Physics. I will move it to Philosophy

Biocentrism or biocentric may refer to:

• Biocentrism (ethics), an ethical point of view that extends inherent value to all living things
  • Biocentric universe, a concept proposed by Robert Lanza that places biology above the other sciences

I do not agree that biology is above other sciences.

Without understanding the physical reality through physics, chemistry, mathematics we basically know nothing about biological functions.

Biology is the tip of the Universe.

Edited by FreeWill

Okay, so I didn't realize this book was not well known in the scientific community. I'm also a little surprised to be dumped into general philosophy when the book is listed in Amazon under the categories: Physics of Time, Cosmology, and Consciousness & Thought Philosophy. 

To comply, though, I will attempt to explain what is proposed in the book, then re-ask my questions:

Biocentrism is a book written by Biologist Robert Lanza. He proposes that there is no actual external physical reality, but what we see and experience as the external world is really a fabrication of our own consciousness. Here is the book on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Biocentrism-Consciousness-Understanding-Nature-Universe/dp/1935251740

I stumbled onto this book while doing an introductory review on consciousness and was intrigued by the proposition. But, now that I've read the book, I have questions and hoped to get an idea of what others think. If the book is not as well read as I had assumed, maybe people can answer more generally, based on the philosophical idea that reality is not an external, objective construction, but is a fabrication from consciousness alone. 

So, let me post my questions again below.

1. If this theory is correct, how does it explain for unexpected interactions from other consciousnesses (example: someone steals money from me, someone murder's my wife, I look for the tv remote but my kid hid it, etc)? If I'm manifesting the entire external world, do I not manifest the other consciousnesses, too? So, in that sense, am I not the only actual consciousness in my existence (from my perspective) and, thus, God?

2. If the external world exists only within my consciousness, why can I not alter that external world with my mind? Why am I bound by the natural laws? If it is all created within my mind, I should be able to walk through walls and fly. What mechanism controls the limitations (even against my will)? Are there external limitations based on the nature of particle waves or are the limitations driven from within by my subconscious belief in them (hence, I don't want to be able to fly, I just don't know I don't want to)?

3. How can similarities be explained between consciousnesses? We all see the sky looks blue. We all wake up and breathe air, form governments, have children, enjoy a movie, etc. If I'm creating the external world from my consciousness, how is it that there are not a multitude of varied external worlds crashing into each other, projected from each consciousness? 

Thanks again.

Isaac

52 minutes ago, Isaac Hunter said:

Biocentrism is a book written by Biologist Robert Lanza. He proposes that there is no actual external physical reality, but what we see and experience as the external world is really a fabrication of our own consciousness. Here is the book on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Biocentrism-Consciousness-Understanding-Nature-Universe/dp/1935251740

My opinion is that this can not be true, since every single conscious entity will have to "dream" exactly the same basically everything what is physical. That is impossible I think.

Consciousness is an internal phenomena of at least biological entities, and meaning sentience and perception based awareness of the inner and outer reality and acting upon this informations. (as I sense it)

Edited by FreeWill

5 hours ago, Isaac Hunter said:

Biocentrism is a book written by Biologist Robert Lanza. He proposes that there is no actual external physical reality, but what we see and experience as the external world is really a fabrication of our own consciousness.

So as I suspected, a version of solipsism: https://www.britannica.com/topic/solipsism

This is one of those rather "empty" philosophical ideas that can never be proved or disproved. Similar to the idea that the universe was created 15 minutes ago, but made to look billions of years old. Nothing can falsify the idea, but nothing can confirm it. (Which is why this is in Philosophy, rather than a science section.)

These ideas may have some use for training peoples reasoning and critical thinking skills, but no one seriously tries to say they are true. (Well, obviously, almost nobody.)

6 hours ago, Isaac Hunter said:

1. If this theory is correct, how does it explain

I would turn these questions around. If there are other consciousness (etc.) how can this theory be correct?

Other problems: the universe appears to be very hard to understand. Most people cannot understand quantum theory or general relativity. So how can their (our?) consciousness create something they cannot understand?

If the author hasn't managed to convince you in an entire book, I doubt anyone on a science forum can (where people will naturally be sceptical of the idea).

Hey Strange,

Thanks for the followup. I've never heard of solipsism before. It is rather unfalsifiable. But, even on it's own merit alone, I don't really understand how it can stand up to even just a little scrutiny.

how can their (our?) consciousness create something they cannot understand?

Subconscious motives are powerful. There are a lot of contradictory behaviors and thoughts caused by the mind, psychological issues, limiting thinking, etc. My biggest problem with Biocentrism, though, is the multiple consciousnesses involved. Maybe if it were one single consciousness' manifesting everything (i.e. God), but not if we each manufacture all of the external world - this would also include each other. Plus, what drives the commonalities (natural laws, etc) which seem to function independent of my will? We certainly perceive the external world through our own prism, a unique lens of our minds. This provides a myriad of interpretations and views about the world. We all see the same world, we just perceive it differently. Now, that external world may indeed be a simulation (double slit experiment), but I doubt it originates from my consciousness and without my consciousness it ceases to exist.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, naitche said:

Would consciousness not be limited by identity ?

What does that mean?

What does "limited consciousness" mean? (Being asleep more? Or ?)

How do you define "identity"?

How or why would consciousness be limited by "identity"?

And how is this related to the topic of the thread?