Do specific arteries supply each organ or there is always lateral supply?

Hello!

Is the blood supply to an organ done exclusively by one (or more) distinct arteries or there is extensive collateral supply from different arteries?

For example, is lungs' circulation only from bronchial and pulmonary arteries/veins or there is collateral blood circulation as well from other arteries?

Any examples?

Let's say you want to completely block blood supply to prostate.
If you block completely the prostate artery, do you achieve that? Or blood from different arteries will supply the organ?

Or the same with a specific bone or with lungs or with bowel.

In other words, do we know which arteries supply which organ/area and are these specific arteries or there is never one or more distinct arteries who supply one organ or region?

I don't mean small vessels that may be inactive normally and activate under stress, because these branches come from the same arteries that supply the organ. I am talking about different arteries from the arteries that are supposed to supply the organ.

Also, I am not talking about the variations in vasculature. I know that not all vasculature is the same to every person, but would we still have one or more specific arteries supplying a specific organ or region?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

That's actually really interesting. I think it depends per organ. The prostate is supplied with blood by the inferior vesical artery. Basically by blocking this artery you are not completely blocking blood supply to the prostate. This is because the middle rectal artery and internal pudenal artery also give branches to the prostate. However, by cutting down all of these, the prostate won't receive blood. So it's not as if one artery only goes to one organ. They can divide into multiple ones which all supply the organ OR supply multiple organs.

Compare it to the coronary arteries: there are 2 (sinistra and dextra), only by blocking both you 100% shut down blood supply to the heart.

By the way, the pulmonary arteries do not supply the lungs with blood, just so you know.

Hope I helped.