Trump is the "Heel" of American Politics

Airbrush

I had never noticed Trump's connection with "PRO" wrestling, or more properly called "WWE" for "World Wrestling Entertainment," until I saw "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver.  "PRO" really means "FAKE" wrestling.  Is anyone familiar with real wrestling, the kind of wrestling they have in high school, college and the Olympics?  Are there any fans of real wrestling out there?  Are there fans of WWE out there?  What is the appeal?  WWE is a choreographed dance that looks so fake, by the standards of special effects in movies, but is good enough for the fans.   Trump's base always says, "We don't take Trump literally, we take him seriously."  That is what the WWE is ALL about.  I would like to see a study of Trump's base to see what percentage of them are fans of WWE.  Trump is as openly fake as the WWE. 

In WWE there are 2 traditional roles, the "face" or protagonist, the decent guy who plays by the rules; and the "heel" or antagonist, who fights dirty and breaks the rules.  Sometimes the fans cheer the face and boo the heel, but they also will boo the face and cheer the heal.  Trump is the heel of American politics and his base loves everything about him.  They think he acts the way he should, like a street fighter who never quits, and always comes back with something nastier.  Also the "ends justify the means."  The ends are "MAGA" and the means are "by any means necessary," even fighting dirty, cheating, and using help from Russia.   Here is John Oliver's bit about WWE:

"In professional wrestling, a heel (also known as a rudo in lucha libre) is a wrestler who portrays a villain or a "bad guy" and acts as an antagonist[1][2][3] to the faces, who are the heroic protagonist or "good guy" characters.

To gain heat (with boos and jeers from the audience), heels are often portrayed as behaving in an immoral manner by breaking rules or otherwise taking advantage of their opponents outside the bounds of the standards of the match. Others do not (or rarely) break rules, but instead exhibit unlikeable, appalling and deliberately offensive and demoralizing personality traits such as arrogance, cowardice or contempt for the audience. [Does this sound like Trump?]  Many heels do both, cheating as well as behaving nastily. No matter the type of heel, the most important job is that of the antagonist role, as heels exist to provide a foil to the face wrestlers. If a given heel is cheered over the face, a promoter may opt to turn that heel to face or the other way around, or to make the wrestler do something even more despicable to encourage heel heat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

Edited by Airbrush

18 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

WWE's not real wrestling?

No WWE is not real wrestling.  Real wrestling is not choreographed in advance.  Wrestling is what they have in schools and the Olympics.  "PRO" wrestling is choreographed to look like real fighting.  They don't just wrestle, WWE also pretends to inflict pain by ANY means!   It takes great strength and skill, and ability to pull punches and follow a predetermined fight plan, but you have to admit it looks blatantly FAKE.  In WWE fighters even carry "blood" in a plastic bag in their mouth to bite and make it look like they are bleeding profusely.

Edited by Airbrush

1 minute ago, Airbrush said:

No WWE is not real wrestling.  Real wrestling is not choreographed in advance, and what they have in schools and the Olympics.  "PRO" wrestling is choreographed to look like real fighting.  They don't just wrestle, WWE also pretends to inflict pain by ANY means!   It takes great strength and skill, but you have to admit it looks blatantly FAKE.

Next you are going to be telling me Trump is not a statesman...

5 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Next you are going to be telling me Trump is not a statesman...

He never needed to be a statesman, all he had to do was be the disruptor, act like the heel, and fight dirty, and he has a ready-made, adoring base of 1/3 of Americans!! :confused:

Edited by Airbrush

23 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

He never needed to be a statesman, all he had to do was be the disruptor, act like the heel, and fight dirty, and he has a ready-made, adoring base of 1/3 of Americans!! :confused:

I'm just being facetious. Your analogy is not a bad one.

In Australia in the 1970's the participants in our 'World Championship Wrestling' were all forced to join the Actors Equity union. Also around that time a court decided that their was no requirement for truth in political advertising.

So how could Trump be the heel if he is hated by the spectators who support the others and hated by the spectators who support the heels, when all he says is 'fake news'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Championship_Wrestling_(Australia)

On 4/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, LaurieAG said:

So how could Trump be the heel if he is hated by the spectators who support the others and hated by the spectators who support the heels, when all he says is 'fake news'?

Sometimes the fans cheer the heel and boo the face.  Trump's base like his role as heel.  They will always cheer him no matter what he does!  The nastier he is the more they like him.  It is hard for some of us to imagine that there are a LOT of people that think Trump's mannerisms are cute, macho, uncensored.  Like Ann Coulter said, when Trump exaggerates or lies blatantly, she just thinks he is funny.  They don't take Trump literally, they take him seriously.  That is exactly the appeal of WWE "wrestling."  Fake is ok.

Edited by Airbrush

• 1 month later...

This is bizarre:

during an appearance on the Howard Stern Show in November 1993, Trump was asked if it was true that Princess Diana was looking at an apartment in Trump Tower.
"That's true," Trump said.
"Does that mean she's contacted you?" asked Stern.
"I hope she's looking at --- She is really hot. She has gained 20-25 pounds, she looks great," Trump said, saying he'd love to date the princess. "There could be a love interest. I'd become King of England. King of England. I'd have to leave, I'd have to lose the New York accent quickly. See they wouldn't like my accent over there."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/05/politics/kfile-royals-trump/index.html

(It wasn't true. It was just one of many rumours that he "leaked" to the papers to get publicity.)