is non-woven Polypropylene harmful to our health? is it toxic ?

fresh

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f247047110aebb70imageproxy.php?img=&key=f247047110aebb70I bought some non-woven polypropylene bags online. It smells bad. my mom says it smells of nasty chemical.

is it toxic and harmful to our health ? why it still smells bad after i opened and put it near windows for 2 days ? 

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_nonwoven_Polypropylene

Polypropylene is the most common form of synthetic material used.It is used in almost every thing we use. Though previously declared safe, recent searches reveal that polypropylene may release two highly toxic substances, quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide.

(i have some problem uploading pictures)

nonwoven pp.jpg

PP non-woven.jpg

Edited by fresh
add more

Could be trace monomer or solvents used in the manufacture. Probably so small amounts as not to be harmful although you can almost always smell new plastics. The monomer is propylene I think (thus poly-propylene). I do not know about the biocides or the oleamide - again - probably very trace amounts otherwise it would show up in their QC testing one would think and they would have to label it as a hazard. The latest EU laws do push for indoor air quality testing on most things now (or it is coming in). - They are getting pretty hot on anything.

The smell should go after a while... I wouldn't fret about it too much... even if harmful you will need a lot more than the trace amounts leaching from the cured plastic to harm you I would think. I am sure the plastic has been used to manufacture all sorts of things for many years without any reported claims of harm from it.

However - I wouldn't want to buy a fresh one every day and lick it clean for the next ten years. ;-)

27 minutes ago, DrP said:

Could be trace monomer or solvents used in the manufacture. Probably so small amounts as not to be harmful although you can almost always smell new plastics. The monomer is propylene I think (thus poly-propylene). I do not know about the biocides or the oleamide - again - probably very trace amounts otherwise it would show up in their QC testing one would think and they would have to label it as a hazard. The latest EU laws do push for indoor air quality testing on most things now (or it is coming in). - They are getting pretty hot on anything.

The smell should go after a while... I wouldn't fret about it too much... even if harmful you will need a lot more than the trace amounts leaching from the cured plastic to harm you I would think. I am sure the plastic has been used to manufacture all sorts of things for many years without any reported claims of harm from it.

However - I wouldn't want to buy a fresh one every day and lick it clean for the next ten years. ;-)

Did a search and the biocide might prevent micro-organism degradation and the oleamide is a slip agent to stop the films adhering during production.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, fresh said:

my mom says it smells of nasty chemical.

is it toxic and harmful to our health ?

How can we possibly know if your mum's judgement on this is correct?

On 4/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, fresh said:

recent searches reveal that polypropylene may release two highly toxic substances, quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide.

No.

It does not.

It can't.

Polypropylene does not contain nitrogen but "quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide" do.

8 hours ago, fresh said:

it smells of propylene.

How do you know what propylene smells like?

16 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

How can we possibly know if your mum's judgement on this is correct?

No.

It does not.

It can't.

Polypropylene does not contain nitrogen but "quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide" do.

How do you know what propylene smells like?

Drp said, "Probably so small amounts as not to be harmful although you can almost always smell new plastics. The monomer is propylene I think (thus poly-propylene)."

so i guess it is the smell of propylene.

@ polypropylene doesn't contain nitrogen,.

Nobody says poly-propylene contain nitrogen. i am confused.

I and my mom both smell it like unpleasant chemical, and anything smells bad is not a good thing, maybe it is toxic, at least that bad smell makes people feel uncomfortable.

4 hours ago, fresh said:

Nobody says poly-propylene contain nitrogen. i am confused.

"Recent searches reveal that polypropylene may release two highly toxic substances, quaternary ammonium biocides and oleamide."

No they don't.

How can something made entirely from carbon and hydrogen release something that contains nitrogen?

Fundamentally, polypropylene is not volatile.

Anything you can smell is, therefore, an impurity.

So the question is "what impurities have been introduced to this particular  piece of polypropylene?".

To which the only scientific answer is "your guess is as good as mine.".

If you don't like the smell, leave them outside until it dissipates, or contact the supplier and take it up with them.

4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Anything you can smell is, therefore, an impurity.

why ? i can smell grass, apple, lemon, earth, wood, plastic,camphor, vinegar, china ink, metal and so on... are they impurity ? what's the definition of impurity ?

21 hours ago, Strange said:

You don't like durian!?

I don't mean food. :wacko: Ok, any bag smells bad is not a good bag. 

8 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Do you know the difference between a mixture and a compound?

yes, mixture can be separated physically, while compound need a chemical reaction to separate. 

OK, so is a lemon a mixture or a compound?

Is polypropylene a mixture or a compound?

The reason you can smell a lemon is that one component of it is limonene which is a volatile liquid (with a characteristic odour).

( For the benefit of those who want to complicate things: Yes, I know it's more complex than that but, let's stick to the basics for now)