How do I get started with this? Thanks!

brickman7713

A metal bowl with a weight of 1.35 N is placed in a larger kitchen container filled with corn oil. How much corn oil must the bowl displace in order to float? For reference, the mass density of corn oil is about 900 g/liter and its weight density is about 8.82 N/liter. Please give your answer in liters.

29 minutes ago, brickman7713 said:

A metal bowl with a weight of 1.35 N is placed in a larger kitchen container filled with corn oil. How much corn oil must the bowl displace in order to float? For reference, the mass density of corn oil is about 900 g/liter and its weight density is about 8.82 N/liter. Please give your answer in liters.

Initial questions to start a discussion:
-Have you solved similar problems where solids are (partially) submerged in water?
-Are you familiar with Archimedes' principle?

It might also help to draw a picture.

7 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Initial questions to start a discussion:
-Have you solved similar problems where solids are (partially) submerged in water?
-Are you familiar with Archimedes' principle?

It might also help to draw a picture.

Yes so according to Archimedes' principle the weight of the displaced liquid should be 1.35N, correct? I just don't know how to convert that to liters.

22 minutes ago, brickman7713 said:

Yes so according to Archimedes' principle the weight of the displaced liquid should be 1.35N, correct? I just don't know how to convert that to liters.

Ok! If you try to use the numbers in the task in the buoyant force formula, what does it look like?
It might help to take a look at the units.

Just now, Ghideon said:

Ok! If you try to use the numbers in the task in the buoyant force formula, what does it look like?
It might help to take a look at the units.

Oh I get it, it's just the weight of the displaced liquid divided by the weight density. Am I allowed to post the answer like that here?

7 minutes ago, brickman7713 said:

Am I allowed to post the answer like that here?

As far as I know it is ok to post an answer ones own question in homework section, but it might be best to consult the rules first.

Edited by Ghideon
added missing part: but it might be best to consult the rules first.