What kind of projection does this ancient jewellery represent?

Ricky123

Hi,

image.png.ba22759106e16119fa536abe0139d22c.png

In regard to the picture posted, I think that the shape of the two semi-egg shaped arches crossing over eachother is in fact a 2D representation of a 3D shape. The 3D shape being a semi-sphere or similar and outlined, so to speak,  by 4 arms which are positioned equidistantly in a circle and arch up to a central point: thus forming a semi-sphere shape. If this is the case, what would such a 2D projection be called? And would anyone know how to identify the precise viewing angle required in order that an interpretation of 3D semi-sphere would appear as the 2D arches shape on the jewel?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any questions. I did put this forward to a curator at the British Msueum but she wouldn't really consider it past zoomorphic identifications i.e. the arches representing boars. If I had some technical definitions to support the claim I think I may be able to make further progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Strange. The vaulted ceiling is a good shout. St. Peter's basilica I also find to be a good comparison. But I think the ceiling works better and provides a better appreciation of the viewing angle. The second last cross-arches in the below picture seem similar enough to convey the idea. Would you, or anybody else, know what type of projection the photo is? Would it be orthagonal, or one-point perspective perhaps? I hope you can forgive my ignorance but I don't want to put forward a term erroneously- especially as I may try and persuade the Museum to get it formally acknowledged :D

I should add that the jewel is from the Sutton Hoo burial and is called a shoulder clasp or boars and garnet clasp. On something of a tangent, I'm also working on the theory that the jewellery may be a representation of the Anglo-Saxon world tree Yggdrasil; the arches representing the canopy and the golden dragons representing Nidhogg who gnaws on the roots and so forth. I think that there's something of a crossover between mythology and astonomical measurements/appreciations. 

image.thumb.jpeg.edb11bb9976a4666ce7cd8ea1853b3e2.jpeg

Although the above picture does show 'dips' in the top of the cross-arches which isn't in the jewel. The below photo of Leon Cathedral's cross-arches might be somewhat better in that respect.

image.thumb.png.14ab9e0e4c8b0c69883aaf5d922c0192.png

On 4/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, Ricky123 said:

Hi,

image.png.ba22759106e16119fa536abe0139d22c.png

In regard to the picture posted, I think that the shape of the two semi-egg shaped arches crossing over eachother is in fact a 2D representation of a 3D shape. The 3D shape being a semi-sphere or similar and outlined, so to speak,  by 4 arms which are positioned equidistantly in a circle and arch up to a central point: thus forming a semi-sphere shape. If this is the case, what would such a 2D projection be called? And would anyone know how to identify the precise viewing angle required in order that an interpretation of 3D semi-sphere would appear as the 2D arches shape on the jewel?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any questions. I did put this forward to a curator at the British Msueum but she wouldn't really consider it past zoomorphic identifications i.e. the arches representing boars. If I had some technical definitions to support the claim I think I may be able to make further progress.

I think it represents the circle of life, look at the base.

Well I think life, death and birth were considered in regard to Yggdrasil.

This photo of the former ceiling of Notre Dame is also another good example of arches which present a similar shape to those on the jewellery.

image.png.e147a2ad86d361fb5bd76386ccaf538a.png

Edited by Ricky123

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

think it represents the circle of life, look at the base.

I too thought that the base looked like snakes eating themselves ( like Orobus?)

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Ricky123 said:

a 2D representation of a 3D shape.

I can see how the top looks like a ceiling.... and as such a 3D representation in 2D. I am not sure if that has any significance though beyond the artists knack for perspective. What is the picture from? From what period/civilization?

18 minutes ago, Ricky123 said:

This photo of the former ceiling of Notre Dame is also another good example of arches which present a similar shape to those on the jewellery.

image.png.e147a2ad86d361fb5bd76386ccaf538a.png

It's also a good example of designs that keep the roof up  

8 minutes ago, DrP said:

I too thought that the base looked like snakes eating themselves ( like Orobus Ouroboros?)

yes

Edited by dimreepr

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

:lol:

pun intended?

lol  -  sorry  - I was taking the mick out of the recent show of moronism from the POTUS... that and my own dislexcicia   ;-)

Edited by DrP