Advice for trainee, aspiring and new Ecologists.

Good Evening All.

I have started this thread to get some unbiased advice and knowledge for the above people.

I am fortunately being encouraged through work to look at starting Phase 1 Surveys. 

However I am looking for some advice there are many companies offering training courses for this but through my personality i want to know opinions of this from experienced an Ecologist.

I am looking into doing a Open University course too. Would it help me to do both or would either one suffice. 

I have struggled to get any advice on this so please any response would help me. 

I would like to add i am a surveyor but in a unrelated field but this is what I’ve always wanted to do however circumstances when I was young prevented me from this.

I am 28 I hope no one considers me too old to achieve my dream. 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Bryn12 said:

I am 28 I hope no one considers me too old to achieve my dream. 

I am not familiar with the work you are doing so I had to look up 'Phase 1 Surveys', it looks like interesting work.

The main thing I wanted to comment on is the quote above.  I started college for chemical engineering at 30 years old.  So from my perspective you are getting into it at a young age.:D

Thank you  bufofrog. 

Did you find starting a later age bring any snobbery from fellow employees etc. I don’t mind the hard work I just don’t want to be denied help because of my age. I’ve worked from Trainee to Surveyor for 8 years to get for the top of my profession to be able to get my funds for my dream job, when I say job it know it becomes a lifestyle.

Edited by Bryn12

• 4 weeks later...

I am not the most trained in this field and i havent finished my bachelour but i think the best advice to give to this field of science and others are to have an open mind to listen to what the data have to say, by knowing how to read the data and how to pass it you will be making great works that your Coleagues and Professors will apreciate.

In summary be positive think simple and you will succeed.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, Bryn12 said:

I am looking into doing a Open University course too. Would it help me to do both or would either one suffice. 

Doing both would demonstrate a sincere commitment to succeed and a willingness to put in the necessary effort. (I speak with no direct knowledge of your target field, but from a general, personal observation of management thinking in a variety of companies.)