Chemical equations

Renda Roberts

Hi! Hope you'll help me a bit.

How to know if there will be Oxygen left or not? And how to solve this? I can solve simple equations these ones are too hard for me:

Al2O3 + Na2CO3 -> NaAlO2 + CO2
PCl5 + KNO2 -> NOCl + POCl3 + KCl

If I don't understand at the end I'll use equation checker service,  but I hope I'll understand))) :doh:

Edited by Renda Roberts

Each element on the right hand side should always add up to the same as the left hand side, so look at each element in all the compounds on the left hand side and add them up together, then see if you have any elements left to add to the right hand side. It might be easier to see what's going on written like this:

Al2O3 + Na2CO3 -> NaAlO2 + CO2

PCl5 + KNO2 -> NOCl + POCl3 + KCl

Ok, so I have Al2O3 + Na2CO3 -> NaAlO2 + CO2

2 Al, 2 Na, 1 C and 6 O = 1 Na, 1 Al, 1 C, 4O

11=7?

Or

(+3)*2 (-2)*3 + (+1)*2+ 4 (-2)*3= +1+3 (-2)*2 + 4 (-2)*2

No, that's not it.

Or just

Al, Na, C, O = Na, Al, C, O

4=4

That's what you mean? If yes then thanks! I'm not so hopeless after all.

You need to balance the equation.  I assume the equation you presented is correct except that there are coefficients missing

in the equation \[Al_2O_3 + Na_2CO_3 -->NaAlO_2+CO_2\] there are 2 Na atoms on the left but only one on the right.  There are 2 Al atoms on the left but only 1 on the right.  Finally there are 6 oxygen atoms on the left and only 4 on the right.  Can you see a way to change coefficients on the right to make the number and type of atoms on the left and right equal each other?

So for a hydrogen oxygen reaction you would have:  \[H_2 + O_2 -->H_2O \] which is not balanced. 

To balance the reaction put in coefficients: \[2H_2 + O_2 --> 2H_2O\] 

Edited by Bufofrog

5 minutes ago, Renda Roberts said:

Oh yes, I get it now! Thank you!

Al2O3+Na2CO3 -->2NaAlO2+CO2

And thank you for coming back to complete the thread and reply, so many don't bother.

Keep you  chem(etc) questions coming.

+1